Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2017, 01:29 PM   #461

Yeah, the CAM switch turns on all my HD cameras

Used to be, I had to plug in a USB cable into the lighter socket to start and unplug to stop. It was very clunky and hard to do with my gloves on.

For mostly slow videos and the slow line, my YouTube is here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/steved0x

steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:08 PM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
Yeah, the CAM switch turns on all my HD cameras

Used to be, I had to plug in a USB cable into the lighter socket to start and unplug to stop. It was very clunky and hard to do with my gloves on.

For mostly slow videos and the slow line, my YouTube is here:
https://www.youtube.com/user/steved0x
Silly me, I thought you had a switch to do something with the vario-CAMs, I didn't think of video CAMeras!https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JamMWk9D68
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:50 PM   #463

Short question about the bearings - do all 4 bearings come on the silver center axle? At the moment there are 2 mounted on this axle and 2 aren't mounted but this is the only place that seems to take another bearing.
sppdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:41 AM   #464
Ben-Auto-Design

Yes all 4 bearings go two by two

I made a video of the installation if you haven't seen it yet (should be two or three pages ago)

Ben
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #465

Quote:
Got it installed, I love it. I am replacing a 9x7 shifter, which has a 15% shorter throw than 9x6 stock shifter. So Ben's short shifter is 30% shorter than 9x6 stock.

The 9x7 shifter is very nice, and in my opinion ben's shifter is the next level. It does have a rifle bolt like feel that the 9x7 shifter doesn't have.

Some folks have indicated that there might be an adjustment period when adapting to a short shifter, but I didn't feel any, after just one day I am totally adjusted and I love it!

Just picked up my Boxster after having Ben's shifter installed.

I will say it feels stiffer -- definitely a shorter throw. I'll be heading to CoTA this weekend, so I will see how it feels on track.

I think its going to take me (and maybe it) a bit of time to break in, but I can certainly see how it could be better than the stock shifter.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 10:57 AM   #466

Quote:
Originally Posted by seningen View Post
Just picked up my Boxster after having Ben's shifter installed.

I will say it feels stiffer -- definitely a shorter throw. I'll be heading to CoTA this weekend, so I will see how it feels on track.

I think its going to take me (and maybe it) a bit of time to break in, but I can certainly see how it could be better than the stock shifter.

Mike
I've got the Function First shift handle (the older one) that can slide quite far up the shaft to put the handle closer to the wheel (the newer ones have a longer shaft on the knob, probably to resolve that issue). I used to run it much lower on my original shifter because the aftermarket boot I bought was too short and I had to run it at the lowest position. Now I just left the boot off for now, and have the knob up higher, and I really like it. I think that may have shortened my adjustment period - my throw is probably just as long as before due to the extended level length and that might be making it easier to adjust. It does feel much more solid though.

I am going this weekend to CMP, so we can both report back, hope you have a great weekend at COTA.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:40 PM   #467

Quote:
I've got the Function First shift handle (the older one) that can slide quite far up the shaft to put the handle closer to the wheel (the newer ones have a longer shaft on the knob, probably to resolve that issue). I used to run it much lower on my original shifter because the aftermarket boot I bought was too short and I had to run it at the lowest position. Now I just left the boot off for now, and have the knob up higher, and I really like it. I think that may have shortened my adjustment period - my throw is probably just as long as before due to the extended level length and that might be making it easier to adjust. It does feel much more solid though.

I am going this weekend to CMP, so we can both report back, hope you have a great weekend at COTA.

Steve
Makes sense... Supposed to be wet here. Just finished racing last weekend in Chumpcar. It was short lived due to engine issues -- but it was a blast.

Have fun as well.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #468
Toppy

Garage
while waiting for the shifter shipped already, I started gathering info on changing it out. after watching Ben's video, i think i may already have a short shifter installed, at least I am sure it is not stock. this is what i found when I pulled up the boot. I have to assume a PO already did this mod, but as it is sloppy I will continue to install Ben's bearing version.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:24 PM   #469
Ben-Auto-Design

Yep, that's a short shifter

Check that it is in fact the shifter that has play and not the gearbox itself or cables
1982 928 S Euro
Old 05-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #470
Ben-Auto-Design

Only 5 left!
1982 928 S Euro
Old 05-20-2017, 05:02 AM   #471

Installed mine today and drove a quick round arround Weissach - yes I live here. Installation was easier as i thought, took me about 2h without hurrying. shifting is short and direct - my old one only had 60 thousand km so it hadn't really play, but the feeling is better now. On the first drive i sometimes had trouble shifting from 2 to 3 while accelerating out of a corner but i think i will get used to it.
sppdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:26 AM   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by sppdev View Post
Installed mine today and drove a quick round arround Weissach - yes I live here. Installation was easier as i thought, took me about 2h without hurrying. shifting is short and direct - my old one only had 60 thousand km so it hadn't really play, but the feeling is better now. On the first drive i sometimes had trouble shifting from 2 to 3 while accelerating out of a corner but i think i will get used to it.
Nice Job! Ben can now say his shifter is Weissach tested and approved!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #473
Ben-Auto-Design

Made by a Porsche Tech, and used in Weissach ahah!
1982 928 S Euro
Old 05-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #474

Hi Ben, do you have any left? My 99 996 C2 would really like one.
ktbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #475
Ben-Auto-Design

Only 2 left guys!
And it's probably the last two that I ever make :/

Ben
1982 928 S Euro
Old 06-03-2017, 08:26 PM   #476

Late to Ben's Party ......

I just installed Ben's Short Shifter and am grateful to have one of the last he will make/sell.
I was late to the party because my shifter did not have much play. When I removed the center console I saw why - the P.O. had greased it some years ago and I presume that helped.
Removing the old Bushings:
Clamp the ball of the shifter shaft in a vise -very tight.It is junk anyway.Use a sharp wood chisel that has a steel shank.Ben's video shows a screwdriver. A sharpened ,all steel chisel would also work.This tool removes each tang of the bushing with a single hit. Precise,targeted force - always good mechanic work.
While you are in there:
I dithered about bothering to install Ben's but I also needed to replace the Parking Brake switch(interlinked with the top operation). This should be a 'while you are in there' suggestion ?
Photograph and mark all the fiddly little parts. Use a spatula to gently pry off the pieces.Look for hidden screws - no force !
Upgrades to Ben's shifter:
I had smoothed the pennies and filed the adjuster bolts square and flat. Totally needless ! I used red sticky grease on every moving surface and adjusted where possible for zero clearance.
Precaution:
Do not apply Loctite until you have completed your tests.Then you can use Wicking grade green. If you use blue or red (!) and then need adjustment you will be in trouble !
When adjusting the set screws and then locking the nuts after using Loctite(not the best sequence, but it happens!) - use a long hex wrench as a counterstay in the end of the set screw.If you just tighten/loosen the the nut with a long wrench but without the countertay, you may be inadvertently twisting the entire bushing in the shifter cradle.This is because the setscrew threads have locked(with Loctite) inside the bushing This bushing is located by a small tang of plastic. If you shear off that tang you will need a new cradle ...... Just use a hex key/wrench as a counterstay.
Results:
Test drive result - I am absolutely astonished by the reduction in play. Magnificent. No more rowing the lever. Now you must use a little more muscle(good) but no need to finesse it. And no doubt about 3rd or 5th !
If you notice the handle is a bit loose on the new shaft (before you tighten the set screw) -slip in a length of shim.I used a piece of stainless steel from a tie wrap intended for cv boots.It made the handle a snug fit.
Next step?
The remaining task is to reduce the play in the large white oval plastic piece on the driver's side of the gear change assy. It is located by a plastic pin that has some play. The pin is at the rear of this plastic piece and is not very significant to shift quality.I lubed it but of course that does not eliminate the play! Ben's part addresses most of the issue but that one last remaining wobble is a challenge.
This video has some ideas but he misses Ben's idea of using ball bearings !Look at 1.58. Lots of fiddly fabrication that is trial and error.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJv0wI72aRg
Thank you Ben:
Grateful to Ben for sharing his creativity. Porsche should have made this assy. like Ben did. It would have been a legendary gear shift.

Last edited by Gelbster; 06-10-2017 at 08:45 AM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 04:05 AM   #477

I'm in for one of the last 2 Ben. PM sent. Thanks!
agrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #478

Hi new user here.

I am interested in one if you still have one. I don't think I have enough posts to PM you yet so kindly reply and we can exchange information.

Best

/alex
hockenheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 02:11 PM   #479
Ben-Auto-Design

Hi guys!

Unfortunately, the last one is sold!
I don't plan on making more right know, I won't have the time to.

I still have spare parts in case something happens to yours

I wish to thank everyone who contributed to this adventure! It was a great experience, I learned a lot, and made a lot of friends too!

Thank you guys!

Ben
1982 928 S Euro
Old 06-11-2017, 08:39 AM   #480

If you missed Ben's Short Shifter deal

Here is a link that may help you find an alternative. More expensive and no ball bearings.
Phenix Engineering Billet Shift Bushings
You can also find a basic short shifter on EBay for $50 if you search "Porsche 997 shifter" Obviously not as good as Ben's but....
I hear rumors that Ben may have a new project. He is actually tinkering with flat engines & Boxsters again - a 4.0 L engine version.
Here is a related story:
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/992759-update-on-the-lne-4-0-a.html
Just feeding the rumor mill :-).

Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote