Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2021, 10:08 PM   #1

Rear spoiler!

Now that stage 1 performance mods have been completed on my "project renegade" I decided to have a little fun. I recently saw a pic of a gt3rs on track - sweet pic btw - and I decided that I wanted that spoiler. Well, as close as I can rig up at least. So, I headed to Amazon and found a nice little carbon fiber wing. I bought a bunch of extra mounts to play around with just in case. So, the first said of steps was to assemble the shooter and legs and then tape out the centerline on the trunk with painters tape. Then wifey was kind enough to hold the spoiler in place so I could get it properly lined up in relationship to the wheels. More painters tape, triple checking distances, you get the idea.

Then it came the drill... Duhn duhn... Talk about a pucker factor - I was less stressed when I cut a hole in the rear firewall for my new intake lol. Anyway. Those 4 holes went fine except for the front passengers side which wind up in the support section of the fluid resivoir so that took a little rigging.

After the 4 studs were mounted, shooter went on and got aligned. I didn't want the angle very aggressive at first so I left it quite natural for the time being. Then out for a drive!

The good news is that at over 115 mph the spoiler started on! The bad me is that the deck lid isn't strong enough to really transfer that force down to the rear wheels on a meaningful fashion. So, reinforcements were needed.

I had some extra 3/4" aluminum channel from a recent project and they are fairly strong so I decided to use those. I had to buy new hardware for mounting and to come up with a string enough system. The pics show it better but in short there is a lock nut to hold the mount to the skin, then below that are double nuts that lock as a support for the bolt against the brace when downforcee is generated, and then a nut on the underside of the brace to hold everything in place.

Now for the tricky part. I want to mount the brace to the steel frame that supports the trunk skin. This is steel and I figure more than strong enough to withstand a few hundred pounds of downforce. There's no way access the top side of those struts though but I figured it out.

Using a thin guage wire, I fished 1.5" long 3/8" carriage bolts down through the channel and out the groove. There's an opening at the far end that is big enough to fit the bolt through and the square neck fits perfectly in the channels. I used a thick neoprene washer first because that surface isn't flat, followed by a big ass fender washer. Then through the support, followed by a lock washer and lock nut.

In all honesty, this was hard. Like way harder than I would have imagined. The trickiest thing is that all the bolts run at angles and make lining everything up a royal PITA.

Anyway, enough talk. Now for the pics.

Best,
Ike

Next up - head unit delete and Carrera style middle console. This one will be fun if I can pull it off, still lots of details to work out first though.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Tapatalk

Old 05-15-2021, 02:36 AM   #2
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

I like the clean work. Looks good. Trunk looks a little cluttered, though.

Old 05-15-2021, 07:02 AM   #3

Hah! The trunk is better off than the lab lol. I want to try to shove the rear carpet back in there, I just ran out of steam. Another day...

Thanks for the props though

Old 05-15-2021, 07:57 AM   #4

Garage
You should just run your intake out and up under the wing: then it would add to the low pressure area and improve efficiency!
Old 05-15-2021, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsguy View Post
You should just run your intake out and up under the wing: then it would add to the low pressure area and improve efficiency!
I've actually been toying with the idea of removing the stock spoiler and covering the opening with mesh, leaving that area open for the intake. The only problem is I can't figure out how to manage the water that will invariably get in there when it rains. I've thought about a louvered panel but the only one I've got my hands on so fast really wouldn't look very good. Another option is to try to contain and drain the water after it gets into the trunk but I feel like that's a bit risky.

On a side note - avid racers should NOT do this without checking their rulebooks first. For ****************s and giggles I got on scca's class page to see where my car would wind up and I was surprised that a rear wing alone puts you in the same class as an engine swap.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #6

Update - hit 115 today and the wing held solid and the car just wanted to keep going. High speed turns were like being on rails, took my favorite turn 5 mph faster than the comfort limit and the ass end stayed planted firm.

Interestingly I used to feel the car settle around 85 mph before (as the oem spoiler comes up) but I don't feel that change now. I'm taking that to mean that the car is already stabilized and the oem wing adds nothing at speed now.

All together this tells me that the spoiler works! I read about using drops of oil on the wing to tell which parts are getting air to fine tune the positioning, but I'm super happy with the way this has turned out.