Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by roma7845 View Post
Where did you buy your Dash Speaker Replacement? is ebay or other online auto parts warehouse stores recommended?

I mean, yeah they have good reputations online but are the products original or quality tested?
I highly recommend auto parts warehouse bought a dash speaker replacement and so far no complaints

kotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 09:08 AM   #42

Just for reference ...

You can order complete M490 option dash speaker replacements from Porsche that includes both speakers and the grille (and plugs right in) for $58.85 each

left: 996 645 037 02 01C

right: 996 645 038 02 01C

see http://www.gaudinporscheparts.com/partlocator/index.cfm?siteid=215796

In addition the Metra wiring adapter to facilitate hooking up aftermarket speakers is 71-017C

Metra 71-017C Speaker Wiring Harnesses For select 1989-09 vehicles at Crutchfield.com
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:19 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
+1 on the Infinity reference speakers. I had the opportunity to listen to several competing brands at the Fry's display, kicker was one, and the others sounded like the kicker which were ok, but not really impressive. The infinity speakers opened up the sound big time, there was no comparison.
It looks like the Infinity speaker's tweeter can be adjusted to angle from firing straight at the windshield and towards the listener. Were you able to do this without the grill getting in the way?

TIA
BK
Bambooken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:00 PM   #44
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambooken View Post
It looks like the Infinity speaker's tweeter can be adjusted to angle from firing straight at the windshield and towards the listener. Were you able to do this without the grill getting in the way?

TIA
BK
No fit problems with the Infinity speakers
as far as pointing the tweeters to the listener, well the speakers face up and the sound bounces off the windshield so the angling has little effect
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 05:43 AM   #45

Nice write up..I'll be doing this as this is what I discovered was causing a buzzing sound out of this speaker
Sin01bst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:06 PM   #46

I can see part of my dash speaker paper cones through the windshield, and guess that the missing grill fabric will be on the speaker. If you found this, did you replace the speaker cloth, or remove what was left, or just leave what was there as is?
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:19 PM   #47
On the slippery slope

Garage
I wood knot wory about any speaker clothe
Allthough it wood keep dirt off of the speker
Old 12-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #48

Nicely played.
2008 Cayenne S (sold)
1989 Targa (sold)
morgal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 10:44 AM   #49

Hey Guys,

Pardon my slightly off-topic post.

Could one of you point me to a post that shows some step-wise dismantling of the lower dash? I need to get to the throttle position sensor and remove it for my EV project and the lower dash with the plastic ducts are coming in the way. I looked around yesterday a bit and it was not easy to figure out. I am guessing you'll working on the wiring around there may have some info...Thanks!
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 08:53 PM   #50

Not sure about lower dash removal but the AC duct above steering column simply pulls apart.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:46 AM   #51

Hi dgjii,

Thanks for your response. I tried pulling the AC duct apart and could not in the confined space. Granted I did not yank it too hard. Will try again.

It would be great of I can remove the lower part of the dash (to which the OBDII connector is bolted) as I need to remove the pedal, pedal position sensor etc. and attach a 'potbox' to the cable and fit the whole assembly back. Mostly will use the existing bracket to mount the 'potbox'.

For those not familiar with the potbox, it is a simple Potentometer which provides an output based on the throttle position. The output is fed to the DC motor controller to control the motor speed. In my case the Curtis potbox gives an output of 0-5Kohm that is matched with my motor controller. It is therefore that I cannot use the stock fly-by-wire throttle as that, I think, has an electrical output that controls the butterfly in the Throttle body.

Thanks.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 11:20 AM   #52
On the slippery slope

Garage
Please start a new thread rather than hijacking this one ^^^
Old 01-10-2016, 04:16 PM   #53

Hello all

Great DYI!

I just check the dash speakers on my 1999 base and they are like thstone's, but they are made by Nokia (Made in Germany). They look in very good shape, visually and sound OK to my ears. Are these OEM speakers since they're made by Nokia vs Thstone's HAES?

Also, if I decide to replace them and I get 2 channels, is there any benefit of keeping functioning the OEM tweathers? Will it distort or take away from the signal quality? What did others do with the tweathers and did they regret keeping/disactivating them?

Thanks
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #54

So i just charged the dash speakers with Pioneers 4" TS-G1044R, following these exact instructions. The first speaker took me 2 hours but I was taking my time. Used hot glue to hold them in place. The second speaker took me 15m. I did not reconnect the small tweeters as the Pioneers are 2-way.

The 16 years old speakers initially looked good but upon inspection they were ripped. The new speakers sounded odd at first but I realized I has inverted polarity. All good now. They sound much better than OEM. I know have the rear deck speakers and the new dash speakers and they sound very good.

Any suggestions for the doors' woofers? Any suggestions as for Brand and how-to?

Thanks.

Last edited by CDNIcecube; 01-30-2016 at 12:30 PM.
CDNIcecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:57 AM   #55

I just replaced all my speakers in my 2001 S - right front had reduced audio, the doors seemed OK and I have the aftermarket speakers in the package shelf which a couple were shot.

I used a Dremel to carve up the front stock speakers (as presented easier in this post) without a hitch. I added Alpine speakers

The rear were replaced with 4 3.5 Kicker speakers

And JBL 4" in the doors.

Quick and easy project that sounds so much better!

Vince
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 08:22 AM   #56

Door Speakers questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by m332is View Post
I just replaced all my speakers in my 2001 S - right front had reduced audio, the doors seemed OK and I have the aftermarket speakers in the package shelf which a couple were shot.

I used a Dremel to carve up the front stock speakers (as presented easier in this post) without a hitch. I added Alpine speakers

The rear were replaced with 4 3.5 Kicker speakers

And JBL 4" in the doors.

Quick and easy project that sounds so much better!

Vince

What did it take to get the 4" door speakers installed:
Did you create a new panel to mount them on or did you use the Dremel to carve up the existing door woofer?
Which JBLs did you end up using?
How's it sounding?

TIA - BK
Bambooken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 02:56 AM   #57

Replaced OEM Nokia speakers with Alpine SPS-410, no improvement.

Replaced OEM Nokia dash speakers with Alpine SPS-410's (a speaker I've seen recommended on forums.) At lower volumes the stock Nokias are a little brighter. At high volumes the Alpines were a bit less muddy. Overall it wasn't worth the hassle, but, of course that would be different if the stock speakers were trashed. The ones on my '98 must not have been.

The Alpines have low sensitivity, similar to the stock Nokias. I'm going to try Infinity reference speakers next, which are several times more efficient. Hoping the lower energy requirements of the Infinitys are coupled with improved performance.

Last edited by Disaster; 07-24-2016 at 03:01 AM.
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 03:28 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
Replaced OEM Nokia dash speakers with Alpine SPS-410's (a speaker I've seen recommended on forums.) At lower volumes the stock Nokias are a little brighter. At high volumes the Alpines were a bit less muddy. Overall it wasn't worth the hassle, but, of course that would be different if the stock speakers were trashed. The ones on my '98 must not have been.

The Alpines have low sensitivity, similar to the stock Nokias (very similar output level per volume setting.) I'm going to try Infinity reference speakers next, which are several times more efficient. Hoping the lower energy requirements of the Infinitys are coupled with improved performance.
Replaced Alpine SPS-410 with Infinity Reference 4002CFX. The Infinities are slightly lower rated for power (35 watt continuous vs. 45 for the Alpines) but have a much better sensitivity of 92db vs. the Alpine's 86db. That 6db difference equates to 4 times the volume at the same input power level. This means the amp doesn't have to be driven so hard to produce the sound.

The improvement in midrange is considerable. This really helps "fill out" the sound, from the rear speakers. Even at the highest volume level the Alpines could not produce the same amount of low/midrange as the Infinities do at half volume. The Infinities are rated at 75-21kHz. The Alpines at 97-22kHz.

One note, the Infinities are a slightly deeper speaker and magnet bottomed out on the passenger side (1 7/8" vs. 1 11/16".) It doesn't seem to cause any issues with output or vibration noise. If I were to do it again I'd look for a shallower 4" speaker with the similar efficiency and performance.

Last edited by Disaster; 07-29-2016 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #59

When you mention speaker bottomed out, does it hit the bottom of the well? Is there any even a bit of space to cushion it with rubber or ?
Lapister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 02:34 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapister View Post
When you mention speaker bottomed out, does it hit the bottom of the well? Is there any even a bit of space to cushion it with rubber or ?
I need to investigate further. It is either the well or a screw sticking up inside well. Yesterday it picked up a buzz (only on really high volumes) so I'll need to go back in and see if I can make more room or insulate it like you suggest. Unfortunately I sold my box of sound deadener because I thought I wouldn't be using the rest of it.

One other thing re. Infiniy speakers. They have a switch to attentuate the treble by +3db (basically 2 times louder.) By default, it was set to the attenuated position. That is too brassy. Need to go back and turn that off.

Last edited by Disaster; 07-31-2016 at 02:39 AM.