View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
thstone
Certified Boxster Addict

Dash Speaker Replacement

Here is my install of new dash speakers. I have the Porsche base stock stereo system with the CDR-220 head unit, amp in the frunk, and subwoofers in the doors.

I was simply looking for a replacement for the OEM dash speakers because they were badly distorting the sound (meaning just about blown). The new Alpine SPS-410's are very reasonably priced at $59 for the pair. They also fit height-wise without modification. Overall, they sound nicer than the stock speakers but aren't audiophile grade.

Start by watching this YouTube video: Porsche Boxster Speaker Replacement - YouTube

After removing the stock speakers, it turns out that there was a 4" speaker and 1" tweeter from the factory. This was different from the YouTube video so this was a bit of a surprise. (see Picture 1)

I started by unsoldering the wires to the 4" speaker and the tweeter and the removed the three screws holding the 4" stock speaker to the grille.
(See Picture 2)

The stock 4" speaker was pretty old looking and the rubber gasket connecting the paper cone to the edge of the speaker broke apart with a very slight touch of my finger. This confirmed what I was hearing such that the speakers were deteriorated and ready to be replaced. (See Picture 3)

Next, I used a Dremel to cut the old speaker bracket pretty much as shown in the YouTube video being sure to leave the stock wire harness connector. The Dremel made this part of the job easy. I also hand sanded the old adhesive from the inside lip where the new speaker will mount to improve adhesion. (See Picture 4)

Next, I cut down the four mounting tabs from the Alpine speakers using the Dremel so the Apine speaker would fit into the old bracket. (See Picture 5)

Next I used 5 min epoxy to glue the new speaker into the bracket. Super glue or hot glue would also work.

Last, I attached the new speaker to the grille and then soldered the new speaker and the tweeter to the wire harness connector. I had to do a little bit of fine fit work on the grille with the Dremel so the grille would fit flush with the old speaker bracket (cut small slots where the mounting tabs for the Alpine speaker still sticks out some). Again, the Dremel made this quick and easy.

I left as much of the Alpine mounting tab as I could to increase the glue area between the Alpine speaker and the old bracket but if you cut the tabs completely off then you won't have to worry about this final trim step (just be sure to center the speaker in the grille when you glue it). I reattached the OEM tweeters just because they were there. Probably not required.

Finally, I re-installed the speakers/grilles back into the car. Overall, a nice and relatively easy 2-3 hr garage project. Stock stereo now sounds much better than the 12 yr-old deteriorated OEM speakers.
Attached Images

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-17-2017 at 07:30 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote