Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > DIY Project Guides

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Certified Boxster Addict

Dash Speaker Replacement

Here is my install of new dash speakers. I have the Porsche base stock stereo system with the CDR-220 head unit, amp in the frunk, and subwoofers in the doors.

I was simply looking for a replacement for the OEM dash speakers because they were badly distorting the sound (meaning just about blown). The new Alpine SPS-410's are very reasonably priced at $59 for the pair. They also fit height-wise without modification. Overall, they sound nicer than the stock speakers but aren't audiophile grade.

Start by watching this YouTube video: Porsche Boxster Speaker Replacement - YouTube

After removing the stock speakers, it turns out that there was a 4" speaker and 1" tweeter from the factory. This was different from the YouTube video so this was a bit of a surprise. (see Picture 1)

I started by unsoldering the wires to the 4" speaker and the tweeter and the removed the three screws holding the 4" stock speaker to the grille.
(See Picture 2)

The stock 4" speaker was pretty old looking and the rubber gasket connecting the paper cone to the edge of the speaker broke apart with a very slight touch of my finger. This confirmed what I was hearing such that the speakers were deteriorated and ready to be replaced. (See Picture 3)

Next, I used a Dremel to cut the old speaker bracket pretty much as shown in the YouTube video being sure to leave the stock wire harness connector. The Dremel made this part of the job easy. I also hand sanded the old adhesive from the inside lip where the new speaker will mount to improve adhesion. (See Picture 4)

Next, I cut down the four mounting tabs from the Alpine speakers using the Dremel so the Apine speaker would fit into the old bracket. (See Picture 5)

Next I used 5 min epoxy to glue the new speaker into the bracket. Super glue or hot glue would also work.

Last, I attached the new speaker to the grille and then soldered the new speaker and the tweeter to the wire harness connector. I had to do a little bit of fine fit work on the grille with the Dremel so the grille would fit flush with the old speaker bracket (cut small slots where the mounting tabs for the Alpine speaker still sticks out some). Again, the Dremel made this quick and easy.

I left as much of the Alpine mounting tab as I could to increase the glue area between the Alpine speaker and the old bracket but if you cut the tabs completely off then you won't have to worry about this final trim step (just be sure to center the speaker in the grille when you glue it). I reattached the OEM tweeters just because they were there. Probably not required.

Finally, I re-installed the speakers/grilles back into the car. Overall, a nice and relatively easy 2-3 hr garage project. Stock stereo now sounds much better than the 12 yr-old deteriorated OEM speakers.

Attached Images

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 11-17-2017 at 07:30 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

Nice work!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:33 AM   #3

I have a '99 Boxster. The car had an original Porshe Radio Traffic Pro. I wasn't getting any bass response. Through trial and error. I replaced the original radio with a Kenwood Eschelon 395 radio ($129) The car had a Haes 4X40 amp in the front trunk. Powering the dash and door speakers. The rear speakers were powered by the radio. I kept the wire pretty much the same. I ran the back speakers off the new radio. Disconnected the wires running to the dash speakers and ran new wires directly to the radio, for the front speakers. My new radio has a RCA out for the Subwoofer. I spliced RCA wires from radio to the Haes amp. The amp has a crossover that sends power to Door speakers. The sound is Fantastic! I'm a musician, and now I have door speakers, that really pump. Cheapest and best way to improve the sound in your Boxster. The new radio has a Subwoofer volume control. Amazing Sound.
boxsterjim99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4

Polk audio db 401

I replaced mine yesterday with Polk Audio DB 401 that I got from Crutchfield.ca. It took me less than an hour to replace both speakers with most of the time spent on the first one.

1. Removed the speaker from car and brought it to workshop. I removed the three screws and the clip that holds the tweeter and removed them both. These are not needed as the new speaker has the cross over built in with a better tweeter.

2. I used side cutters to cut the plastic cage from the speakers as shown in the first post and I cut the speaker as shown. I also removed the speaker terminals as they are not needed; new one has the terminals already installed and used these.

3. I placed a towel around the new speaker (metal shavings) and proceeded to cut the tabs with a dremmel tool. I cut enough to ensure a tight fit as in original post.

4. I placed the new speaker in the modefied basket and screwed it to the existing grill. The basket gave the new speaker a tight fit to the grill with no chance of it vibrating. I then attaced the speaker wire harness (VW) to the new speaker.

5. Hooked the harness to the car and tested the speaker. I then installed it in the opening and tightened down the screws. I then removed the other and did the above process to this one.

The sound is fantastic now and will get better once the speakers are broken it. Sounded better today than yesterday with FM and CD's. There is a big difference from the original ones. I would not use the tweeters in the original speakers as it's cross over blocks the tweeter in the new speakers. I would remove the old ones as well as the cross over; new ones have it built in. I have also done the rear PNP speaker upgrade years ago and with both upgrades the sound is very much improved. I may decide to upgrade the head unit with something that "looks" close to stock to keep it "low key". I had read earlier that Harmon/Karden was the one to get but I can't seem to find new units out there. Their website does not indicate that they have this line. Not interested in the booming/flashing displays and nice to have orange which is close to stock.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #5

Dumb question.

Do all 986's have subs in the doors? Mine has the grill, not sure if I have heard sound coming out of the doors.

I have a 2001 986S, cdr220 radio.
petee_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #6

Quick question if anyone is listening. I am about to install some Focal 4" coaxials like this. I noticed that when the original speaker basket mounts to the grill, a lip of the grill fits on the inside of the lip of the basket. So the picture here showing the new speaker tabs going all the way out to the lip would prevent the basket from fully seating back on the grill. Is this an issue? Did you run into this thstone when you put it all back together?
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 PM   #7

Project complete.

Focal 100CA1 just fit, but you must make sure that the original basket ring seats completely on the grill. I achieved this by notching the rim of the grill where the four speaker tabs sit in the basket. You can also just cut the tabs back far enough to allow the lip to fully seat in the basket, however in this case, the speaker is held to the basket only by glue, not by clamping force.

By just fit I mean that on the left side, the magnet just touches a plastic conduit when fully seated. On the right side, the magnet does just touch a bolt in the dash frame and presses slightly against it when the speaker grill is screwed down. We'll see if there are any creaking noises when I take it for a drive.

I think if I did this again I would go for a shallower mount speaker like the Alpine or Infinity. But I do really like the sound of the Focals!!

Great mod.
teleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:13 AM   #8

Garage
Thanks for the update! This is on my list of things to do.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #9

Finally got around to replacing the dash speakers last weekend with a pair of Polk 4" speakers (Crutchfield $39). No issues with install or mounting as all has been coverered here. I did not cut any factory wiring as I reused the connectors on the OEM plastic mount.

What I wanted to share is simply that I had no idea how poor a condition my OEM speakers were in. I really hadn't had and rattling or buzzing issues, I justed wanted to replace as it was easy and cheap.

My foam surrounds were half disintegrated, with a light cover of foam present all over the factory grills. The sound from the new speakers is a very nice improvement over the OEM and well worth the $$ and time required.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
Finally got around to replacing the dash speakers last weekend with a pair of Polk 4" speakers (Crutchfield $39). No issues with install or mounting as all has been coverered here. I did not cut any factory wiring as I reused the connectors on the OEM plastic mount.

What I wanted to share is simply that I had no idea how poor a condition my OEM speakers were in. I really hadn't had and rattling or buzzing issues, I justed wanted to replace as it was easy and cheap.

My foam surrounds were half disintegrated, with a light cover of foam present all over the factory grills. The sound from the new speakers is a very nice improvement over the OEM and well worth the $$ and time required.
Do you have link to that crutchfield page? I couldn't find the Polk 4" and want to get some that are sure to fit depth wise.
juicepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #11

Sorry but they were on clearance for$39. Don't see them on there now.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 03:18 AM   #12

I just replaced mine with Alpines. Foam surrounds on the OEM speakers were also disintegrating in my hands. I imagine that all old OEM speakers are in the same condition.
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicepro View Post
Do you have link to that crutchfield page? I couldn't find the Polk 4" and want to get some that are sure to fit depth wise.
From my post a few up .... Polk Audio DB 401.

Updated my head unit to the Kenwood KDC-BT55U which allows me to adjust the faceplate colour to the oragne factory (#24 on the display settings). This is a great unit and make sure you get the installation kit from Crutchfield which makes it real easy to install.

Last edited by Jaak; 09-29-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by petee_c View Post
Dumb question.

Do all 986's have subs in the doors? Mine has the grill, not sure if I have heard sound coming out of the doors.

I have a 2001 986S, cdr220 radio.
Yes ... they do.

Old 02-22-2014, 10:16 AM   #15
G&L

Garage
Replaced my stock speakers with the Alpines. Thanks to thstone for the great DIY thread! Install was a breeze. Pretty sure my '01 spent a lot of time in its garage when not being driven, as the stock units were in pretty decent shape. The Alpines are a definite improvement, though.
G&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:54 PM   #16

Garage
BIG thanks to THSTONE for the inspiration to replace my dash speakers on my 2001. I found a pair of Rockford Fosgate R14X2 Prime 4-Inch on Amazon for $35 and they fit with no problems following the directions posted. I fitted one speaker then installed it and listened to it compared to the original, and wow, such a difference. My original speakers were not disintegrating at all, but definitely a huge difference in sound. Thanks again to this forum for so much good info!
drew44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:41 AM   #17

I see on the pictures above that there are two speakers? I see you replaced the larger one, what about the smaller one? what is that , high range tweeter?
dbansal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 07:17 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbansal View Post
I see on the pictures above that there are two speakers? I see you replaced the larger one, what about the smaller one? what is that , high range tweeter?
The second one is a tweeter that you just disconnect since the new speaker has a tweeter.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #19

I bought MB Quart speaker for my old BMW. Since they were just lying around I put them in the dash. They didn't fit in the speaker grill, so I just nestled them in the insulation. They sound very good, and they have the brightest tweeters I've ever listened too. I put some Polk Db's in the doors, and power it all with a Polk 4x100 amp I put in the frunk. I could still use a little more bass.
'05 Sportster
Brockmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:16 PM   #20
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Aren't the MB Quarts supposed to fit without any custom bracket, etc? Can you comment? If I remember correctly there used to be one model that just dropped in.