View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Jaak

Polk audio db 401

I replaced mine yesterday with Polk Audio DB 401 that I got from Crutchfield.ca. It took me less than an hour to replace both speakers with most of the time spent on the first one.

1. Removed the speaker from car and brought it to workshop. I removed the three screws and the clip that holds the tweeter and removed them both. These are not needed as the new speaker has the cross over built in with a better tweeter.

2. I used side cutters to cut the plastic cage from the speakers as shown in the first post and I cut the speaker as shown. I also removed the speaker terminals as they are not needed; new one has the terminals already installed and used these.

3. I placed a towel around the new speaker (metal shavings) and proceeded to cut the tabs with a dremmel tool. I cut enough to ensure a tight fit as in original post.

4. I placed the new speaker in the modefied basket and screwed it to the existing grill. The basket gave the new speaker a tight fit to the grill with no chance of it vibrating. I then attaced the speaker wire harness (VW) to the new speaker.

5. Hooked the harness to the car and tested the speaker. I then installed it in the opening and tightened down the screws. I then removed the other and did the above process to this one.

The sound is fantastic now and will get better once the speakers are broken it. Sounded better today than yesterday with FM and CD's. There is a big difference from the original ones. I would not use the tweeters in the original speakers as it's cross over blocks the tweeter in the new speakers. I would remove the old ones as well as the cross over; new ones have it built in. I have also done the rear PNP speaker upgrade years ago and with both upgrades the sound is very much improved. I may decide to upgrade the head unit with something that "looks" close to stock to keep it "low key". I had read earlier that Harmon/Karden was the one to get but I can't seem to find new units out there. Their website does not indicate that they have this line. Not interested in the booming/flashing displays and nice to have orange which is close to stock.

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote