Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 11:29 AM   #1

By the way, I called WD today and questioned them on their coverage for the Major Care policy. Specifically, I had a question regarding the following Engine coverage:

"All internally lubricated engine parts including: pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and bearings, camshaft and bearings, timing chain or belt, timing gears, tensioners/guides, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, oil pump and oil pump housing, push rods, rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, hyrdraulic and solid lifters; intake and exhaust manifold; distributor shaft and housing; harmonic balancer; metal valve covers; timing gear cover; air filter and housing; water pump; fuel pump; vacuum pump; thermostatically controlled air intake; oil pan; engine block and heads are covered if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated moving part."

The last sentence was the kicker - - I wasn't sure it it meant that all the damages had to be caused by internally lubricated moving parts for the damages to be covered. Their claims rep told me that this applies only to the engine block and heads. So, if you're coolant runs out and it warps the head, supposedly no coverage. But, if caused by the internal lubricated part, then coverage.

Any thoughts? Is the intermediate shaft an "internally lubricated engine part?"
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:40 AM   #2

This question actually came up before in another thread :

does anyone want the $100 referral for warranty direct?

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 11:55 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharrisonwu
By the way, I called WD today and questioned them on their coverage for the Major Care policy. Specifically, I had a question regarding the following Engine coverage:

"All internally lubricated engine parts including: pistons, piston rings, piston pins, crankshaft and main bearings, connecting rods and bearings, camshaft and bearings, timing chain or belt, timing gears, tensioners/guides, intake and exhaust valves, valve springs, oil pump and oil pump housing, push rods, rocker arms, rocker arm shafts, hyrdraulic and solid lifters; intake and exhaust manifold; distributor shaft and housing; harmonic balancer; metal valve covers; timing gear cover; air filter and housing; water pump; fuel pump; vacuum pump; thermostatically controlled air intake; oil pan; engine block and heads are covered if damaged by the failure of an internally lubricated moving part."

The last sentence was the kicker - - I wasn't sure it it meant that all the damages had to be caused by internally lubricated moving parts for the damages to be covered. Their claims rep told me that this applies only to the engine block and heads. So, if you're coolant runs out and it warps the head, supposedly no coverage. But, if caused by the internal lubricated part, then coverage.

Any thoughts? Is the intermediate shaft an "internally lubricated engine part?"
See, that is the kind of inconsistency that is bothersome to me. One of their selling points is that they do not exclude any engine damage caused by overheating, yet they assume the contradictory position above, with respect to the coolant running out.

Also, isn't the RMS leak an engine block failure that is not caused by the failure of an internally lubricated moving part?

I really like to figure this out as well, because, I will also purchase the MajorCare plan in a heart beat, if it in fact would cover engine repairs arising from RMS and IMS issues.

Last edited by seventythree; 11-17-2006 at 12:00 PM.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:17 PM   #4

Surprisingly, regarding the RMS issue, the guy I spoke with raised this issue. Apparently, this has been an issue with other porsche's as well. In any event, there's coverage that speaks to seals as well:

"seals and gaskets, if needed, are covered for the following assemblies: engine; turbo/supercharger; transmission; transfer unit, drive axles, steering; front suspension; brakes and air conditioning."

So, it looks like RMS is covered as well. You should give them a call to clarify. I haven't used the policy yet so I can't speak to what will actually happen when RMS or Intermediate shaft fails. 1- 800-632-4222.

By the way, I'm not getting compensated or anything like that from WD. I just thought that will all the issues out there with the boxster, this would help us all.
USA

:troll:
dharrisonwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #5

When I called they told me RMS was covered. I didnt hold back because I wanted to make sure. I said look rear main seals go out in these cars, is it covered? They told me yes. I still didnt buy the warranty because it wont make my car faster or handle better. J/K
Old 11-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharrisonwu
Surprisingly, regarding the RMS issue, the guy I spoke with raised this issue. Apparently, this has been an issue with other porsche's as well. In any event, there's coverage that speaks to seals as well:

"seals and gaskets, if needed, are covered for the following assemblies: engine; turbo/supercharger; transmission; transfer unit, drive axles, steering; front suspension; brakes and air conditioning."

So, it looks like RMS is covered as well. You should give them a call to clarify. I haven't used the policy yet so I can't speak to what will actually happen when RMS or Intermediate shaft fails. 1- 800-632-4222.

By the way, I'm not getting compensated or anything like that from WD. I just thought that will all the issues out there with the boxster, this would help us all.
I concur on the seal coverage. However, the Boxster owner's biggest fear is if simple seal replacement won't resolve the issue. In other words, we all want the warranty company to pick up the tab for a complete engine replacement, if it goes that far. I am concerned that the policy will simply pay for a seal replecement, and not much more. If that is the case, I will keep my $1400 and pay the $700 or so if and when I need to have the RMS replaced.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote