Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2006, 12:22 PM   #21

When I called they told me RMS was covered. I didnt hold back because I wanted to make sure. I said look rear main seals go out in these cars, is it covered? They told me yes. I still didnt buy the warranty because it wont make my car faster or handle better. J/K

Old 11-17-2006, 12:26 PM   #22

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
Originally Posted by seventythree
The key language in the actual policy is "All internally lubricated engine parts are covered if damaged by the Failure of an internally lubricated moving part." In essence, meaning that unless the engine problem was caused by failure of the oil pump, there is no coverage!
I'm not sure if you're interpreting that right. There is a list of several items identified as "internally lubricated" in another post, so this would mean that a failure caused by any of those parts would be covered. I think you're interpreting the sentence to mean that the failure has to be caused by the lubrication system (i.e. oil pump), which is not what it says. Am I missing something here?
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:44 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharrisonwu
Surprisingly, regarding the RMS issue, the guy I spoke with raised this issue. Apparently, this has been an issue with other porsche's as well. In any event, there's coverage that speaks to seals as well:

"seals and gaskets, if needed, are covered for the following assemblies: engine; turbo/supercharger; transmission; transfer unit, drive axles, steering; front suspension; brakes and air conditioning."

So, it looks like RMS is covered as well. You should give them a call to clarify. I haven't used the policy yet so I can't speak to what will actually happen when RMS or Intermediate shaft fails. 1- 800-632-4222.

By the way, I'm not getting compensated or anything like that from WD. I just thought that will all the issues out there with the boxster, this would help us all.
I concur on the seal coverage. However, the Boxster owner's biggest fear is if simple seal replacement won't resolve the issue. In other words, we all want the warranty company to pick up the tab for a complete engine replacement, if it goes that far. I am concerned that the policy will simply pay for a seal replecement, and not much more. If that is the case, I will keep my $1400 and pay the $700 or so if and when I need to have the RMS replaced.
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 09:55 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowJacket
I'm not sure if you're interpreting that right. There is a list of several items identified as "internally lubricated" in another post, so this would mean that a failure caused by any of those parts would be covered. I think you're interpreting the sentence to mean that the failure has to be caused by the lubrication system (i.e. oil pump), which is not what it says. Am I missing something here?
I agree with your interpretation of the policy language; but having had the displeasure of dealing with attorneys and potential litigation in the past, I figured it would be best to run the policy by a Porsche specialty repair shop and get their opinion on it. They said that in their experience, all that mumbo jumbo on internally lubricated parts simply means that the problem must be caused by oil pump failure to be coverd.

seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote