View Single Post
Old 11-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #8
seventythree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharrisonwu
Hey all,

Just purchased the Warranty Direct "Major Ticket Items" policy for my 2002 Boxster, 32 K Miles. With a $100 deductible and coverage for 4 years/75K miles, cost was $1,374. Sounds like a great deal to me - - especially after reading the forum and all the issues with the RMS leaks, intermediate shaft problems, etc, etc, I figured the price of the warranty would be made up in a single major repair.

Anyways, wanted to pass this information along in case any of you were considering extended warranties.
I also have a 2002 Boxster with 20K miles. I got the same exact quote from them for the exact same coverage, MajorCare MBI, 4 years 75K miles. Needless to say, at less than $1/day, I was compelled to pull the trigger on it. However, on another forum, somebody pointed out that it was TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE! Thankfully, I checked the fine print, and the MajorCare MBI gives you pretty meaningless coverage on engine/transmission failures. According to a local Porsche specialty repair shop, for all practical purposes, engine failures would be covered only if caused by an oil pump failure!!
So, do yourself a favor, research the issue, and if I am correct, switch to their SecureCare MBI plan before it is too late. I decided against it, because I figured the ~$2,500 they quoted for the REAL plan, sitting in a liquid investment account, compounded over 4 years, will cover a lot of potential repair bills.

Regards
seventythree is offline   Reply With Quote