Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2020, 08:36 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Passenger window does not lower the small amount when pulling door handle

Just bought the car and fixing little things the owner told me about.
Womdoering what it could be why the window doesn’t lower the tiny bit to clear the upper channel when purring the handle. Everyhugnelse about it works fine.
When it’s open I push on the top of the window to get it back seated in the track.
Any ideas or suggestions, the motor lowers the window regulator when pulling the handle, the window just doesn’t follow, but rolls down fine after that.

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: NY
Posts: 6
I am looking to buy a Boxster, and have a similar issue. The window will not roll down with the interior button, but will roll down with turning the key on the exterior. I wonder if this is an easy fix?

PS- From what I read an easy fix for some was a simple reset. Just hold the window button down for 6 seconds and it will reset the windows. Hopefully that works for you!
solo118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:04 AM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solo118 View Post
I am looking to buy a Boxster, and have a similar issue. The window will not roll down with the interior button, but will roll down with turning the key on the exterior. I wonder if this is an easy fix?

PS- From what I read an easy fix for some was a simple reset. Just hold the window button down for 6 seconds and it will reset the windows. Hopefully that works for you!
I think mine is a different issue, the window works just fine with the switch. (I didn't know the key in the door lock makes it go down)
I think my issue is the window is lifting out of the track just a little when pulling the door handle.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #4
1997, PCA Riverside
 
rexcramer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 1,206
Garage
Search is your friends. The regulators are cable operated and prone to stretching. YouTube has some videos. Our forum host has a great DIY section on their website. Here is the link to the window section; https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/77-BODY-Window_Regulator/77-BODY-Window_Regulator.htm

There is a temp bike cable adjuster fix (I tried it) that is not worth the time IMO. I tried the URO regulators. They failed in less than a year. I finally bought and installed the OEM regulators. Medium DIY project that requires some fiddling adjustments to get perfect, but doable.

There are a bunch of micro switches that come into play also. Any of which can cause function issues.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: texas
Posts: 59
I had this problem. My window would not drop when I opened the door. The majority of searches on this site vehemently advocated replacing the regulator as the wires have a tendency to stretch in time. I replaced my regulator three times before I gave up and solved the problem by replacing the motor. Maybe most of the time it is the regulator but not in my case. FWIW.
obthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:18 AM   #6
Will there be cake?
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
Just bought the car and fixing little things the owner told me about.
Womdoering what it could be why the window doesn’t lower the tiny bit to clear the upper channel when purring the handle. Everyhugnelse about it works fine.
When it’s open I push on the top of the window to get it back seated in the track.
Any ideas or suggestions, the motor lowers the window regulator when pulling the handle, the window just doesn’t follow, but rolls down fine after that.
window regulators are common maintenance projects for these cars. After the years, slack in the cables is taken up during normal operation that doesn't result in window lowering. I have replaced all but one of the regulators on my cars through the years and it solved my issues. There are some other issues with the microswitches in the handles that cause intermittent problems also, but these are harder to troubleshoot. A quick search should take you to a number of posts to help you on this.

I am very happy with the URO regulators with ball bearings and haven't experienced any problems with them. Pro trick is to place the rubber on the windows before you try to place it on the holders, it works better.

Arrgh, between writing and posting - what rex said.

Last edited by tonythetiger; 06-24-2020 at 09:20 AM.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:47 AM   #7
Motorist & Coffee Drinker
 
78F350's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 2,594
Garage
Just adding in to what the others have said; The problem is most likely the regulator and there are a variety of fixes.
My most recent fix was on a '97. I was going to do the 'bicycle cable' repair, but noticed that there was an adjustment built in to the particular regulator I had. A few turns on the adjuster and it was fixed.
On an '01 I replaced the regulator and the problem was still there. I checked the motor and it had a lot of play (wear) when reversing directions. Replaced it and it has been good since.
The tech article that Rex linked is a great step-by-step as are most of the Pelican Parts DIY articles.
__________________
I am not an attorney, mechanic, or member of the clergy. Following any advice given in my posts is done at your own peril.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate it. I'll search the links and see what I can find.
I wouldn't think it would be a microswitch as when I pull the door handle I can hear the motor and see the window try to move down. And with the window switch I can toggle it back and forth and the window follows as it should going up or down.
Looking at the prior owners service records, one says driver door not dropping when opening door. They replaced the window regulator and fixed it. It was a $1,000 repair.
Hopefully I can fit it for much less.

Also, does it really need to be fixed now. Do they get worse and not work at all. I have no issues with using it how it is now. If I open the door slowly, it still goes down far enough to not get hung up on the roof. If it stays that way I'm totally fine with that and can spend money on other repairs.

And I read the article and doesn't look too hard to do.

Last edited by Jasper7821; 06-24-2020 at 11:30 AM.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:59 AM   #9
Will there be cake?
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post

And I read the article and doesn't look too hard to do.
It's easy, but takes some patience. Use trim removal tools (must have) to remove the door card and take your time pulling off the membrane. Its stuck on there really well because the glue is old and tough. You dont want to rip it. Research how much it is to replace if you want to scare yourself. You might break a few trim holders also, be ready for that.

Once your there, it's just lowering the window, pulling the regulator and replacing it. A couple of nuts through the bottom of the door and a couple up top. Good time to clean the window really well and I find that attaching the rubber at the grip points, then dropping it into the regulator is the easiest way.
NOTE: Make sure the battery is disconnected BEFORE you disconnect the airbag and the airbag is reattached BEFORE you reattach battery for things like moving window during installation. If you dont do this, you will have the airbag light on until you clear codes, requiring durametric or similar tool or paying the dealer.
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:19 PM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetiger View Post
It's easy, but takes some patience. Use trim removal tools (must have) to remove the door card and take your time pulling off the membrane. Its stuck on there really well because the glue is old and tough. You dont want to rip it. Research how much it is to replace if you want to scare yourself. You might break a few trim holders also, be ready for that.

Once your there, it's just lowering the window, pulling the regulator and replacing it. A couple of nuts through the bottom of the door and a couple up top. Good time to clean the window really well and I find that attaching the rubber at the grip points, then dropping it into the regulator is the easiest way.
NOTE: Make sure the battery is disconnected BEFORE you disconnect the airbag and the airbag is reattached BEFORE you reattach battery for things like moving window during installation. If you dont do this, you will have the airbag light on until you clear codes, requiring durametric or similar tool or paying the dealer.
Thanks, Ya I read that and it's $70 to replace if I tore it up.
I think I'm going to leave it as is for now and work on some other repairs. I hope it stays the same and doesn't get worse until I get the regulator.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: So Cal
Posts: 271
Garage
You may want to look at the door latch assy as a potential fault as well. 90% of the "window won't go down 1/4" when I pull the handle..." issues are caused by faulty door latch switches. You can get a used one for around $35-40 and not to difficult to swap out.

Lots of ways to verify if the latch assy is bad, the window won't drop, door won't lock with the fob, Central Lock Mechanism error in Duro...
mgfranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:13 PM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgfranz View Post
You may want to look at the door latch assy as a potential fault as well. 90% of the "window won't go down 1/4" when I pull the handle..." issues are caused by faulty door latch switches. You can get a used one for around $35-40 and not to difficult to swap out.

Lots of ways to verify if the latch assy is bad, the window won't drop, door won't lock with the fob, Central Lock Mechanism error in Duro...
Thank you for the reply, the door latch seems to work just fine. It locks/unlocks fine with the remote. Also I can hear the motor move when I pull the door handle, the window just doesn’t lower that 1/4” or whatever it is.
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 06:07 AM   #13
Racer Boy
 
Racer Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
Thank you for the reply, the door latch seems to work just fine. It locks/unlocks fine with the remote. Also I can hear the motor move when I pull the door handle, the window just doesn’t lower that 1/4” or whatever it is.
My car had the same issue, and it did turn out to be the latch assy. I tried the regulator first, which didn't fix it. Since my car has the optional security system, the latch was more expensive than the standard latch assy. It ended up being an expensive repair.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
My car had the same issue, and it did turn out to be the latch assy. I tried the regulator first, which didn't fix it. Since my car has the optional security system, the latch was more expensive than the standard latch assy. It ended up being an expensive repair.
Is there a test to test somehow to see for sure which one it is?
Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #15
Will there be cake?
 
tonythetiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: East Coast
Posts: 474
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper7821 View Post
Is there a test to test somehow to see for sure which one it is?
I can hear the motor move when I pull the door handle, the window just doesn’t lower that 1/4” or whatever it is.
you answered your own question...:+)
tonythetiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 01:35 AM   #16
Registered User
 
Liamray's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Australia
Posts: 33
Had the same problem on my 2001 Boxster and I did the bicycle cable adjuster fix, and it works perfectly and has been for 12 months now. Buy yourself a $5 bicycle cable adjuster and spend half an hour fitting it, and your problem is fixed.
Liamray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:48 AM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Arizona
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamray View Post
Had the same problem on my 2001 Boxster and I did the bicycle cable adjuster fix, and it works perfectly and has been for 12 months now. Buy yourself a $5 bicycle cable adjuster and spend half an hour fitting it, and your problem is fixed.
Thank you, was going to try cable ties but looks like a cable adjuster may work better.
Is there a certain size I need to look for? I know I need a slotted one so it will go over the cable without taking it apart

Jasper7821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page