Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2019, 05:46 AM   #21

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I have a 3.4 996 with 278hp at the wheels in my boxster. It's fun but not enough for me. Most oil leaks on the 2.7 are the oil lines connected to the turbos. It's highly unlikely you'd keep those small KO3's when installing that motor into a boxster anyway. I have a 2.7t waiting to be put in my boxster but I plan on going with a single turbo. Guys are getting 700hp+ out of those 2.7t's. I'm shooting for a more reliable 500hp. I'm not sure the suspension could handle more than that. I also plan on using a cayman 6 speed to make the swap easier. The mechanical part of the swap looks to be very easy. Electrical, now that's a different story.
Hi Woody, thanks for the info!

Ideally I would like to keep the twin turbos. But then I need to learn a lot more about turbo powered engines, pros and cons....

I was reading a long thread about a guy in England I believe. He did install a 2.7 with both turbos in his Box. He had several issues with working out an intercooler and the air supply piping. But he was also working on a very tight budget in a carport which probably didn't help much. I agree, the electronics will be my biggest struggle as well.

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:21 AM   #22

I believe the guy in england already did one boxster with the 2.7t and went with a single turbo on that car. That car burnt to the ground and now he's building another one on a budget. There's also a rally boxster in England with the 2.7t. I believe the stock location of the turbos is too low for use in a boxster chassis. You also have limited space and that's why the single would be easier.
Old 11-26-2019, 01:27 PM   #23

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsnotanova View Post
I believe the guy in england already did one boxster with the 2.7t and went with a single turbo on that car. That car burnt to the ground and now he's building another one on a budget. There's also a rally boxster in England with the 2.7t. I believe the stock location of the turbos is too low for use in a boxster chassis. You also have limited space and that's why the single would be easier.
Yes, I saw that. I thought his new build used both turbos in the stock location, but I could wrong. I am pretty sure he is using both turbos though. I will see if I can search and find some info on the rally car.

I have been doing some more research on the 2.7t. Looks like you can get just over 300hp with stock setup and a chip. Stage 2 mods get you 350 to 400hp. I need to see what the average cost of the stage 2 parts would run.

I am thinking that I would get a used engine and do a minimal amount to it internally. Would need to do all the seals. Probably worth pulling the heads and having them done.

ksjohn is offline   Reply With Quote