Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 AM   #1

Another window question :( no room for zip tie what now?

Hello all......so after reading many posts and watching some vids about the window in my 01 Box not dropping enough to clear the top I removed the door panel and took a look. Now my car has 158k miles on it so I think we can assume someone has already been in this door. The foam was in tact but the sealant wasnt virgin. When I exposed my green spacer it was tight as a drum w zero play. I can lift and lower the window by grabbing with my hands by about 1/2".....I tried this while looking at the green spacer and nothing happens when I manipulate the window. I guess I should note that my car suffers from the good ole double beep so it could possibly be my door handle switch. When the top is up and I open the door from the inside I can hear and see it try to lower the window but it is not getting the job done. So what do I do next to solve this problem?

Replace door handle micro switch?
Adjust window regulator grasp on window?
Look for the other or 2nd green spacer located somewhere else in the door? I read someone saying they did the repair of the "front " green spacer.....other people replied to him like he was crazy

Thanks for any help......

Box7774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 AM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
There is a spring tensioner on the cable, so you may not see any slack until you pull on it.

And yes, my culprit was the one in the front bottom of the door.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 AM   #3

Thanks PW.......was that u responding to the Youtube vid?

Ok so it has a spring tensioner got it. So would I just grab the black portion of the cable and try to move up and down? Or do you recommend that I try to locate the other green spacer and check that one for slack first?

Hope u dont put me in time out for asking too many questions.....

Where is the front green spacer located......is it high in the door or low near the speaker? I havent removed the speaker or all of the foam ....just enough to see the first green spacer.

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-17-2019, 09:20 AM   #4
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Wasn’t me
The front one is basically behind the door speaker.

I had to grab the black sheath at the green thing and pull it back to reveal the slack.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 AM   #5

Cool.....thanks. I will get back in that door tonight to see if I can reveal slack in the rear spacer.......will also locate the front one while i have the door opened up.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Zip tie? The fix for this is using a bicycle brake cable adjustment barrel to permanently fix this issue. I had to do this to my car around 4 years ago. I didn't have to drill anything using the Amazon linked bicycle brake cable adjustment barre in the tread.

Window regulator permanent fix for stretched cable

Looking back at that tread, the linked Amazon linked bicycle brake cable adjustment barrel gave me just enough length to get the window to drop down and clear the top. If I was doing it again I would go with this one instead as it's a bit longer. Although this one might requiring drilling though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AO5KGU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited by KRAM36; 07-17-2019 at 10:52 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:48 PM   #7

Well.....I have looked at the car today 3 separate times. I have read the very long threads over and over.....

My wife came home and parked in the garage a little tight to the Box so I wont be getting anything done tonight but will look again tomorrow morning.

For the life of me I cant get that cable near the green coupler to budge. I have to assume that most of you guys would open up your doors and grab the black wire or green coupler and have some movement but mine is tight tight tight. So I will peel back more of the door skirt tomorrow to see if I can see the spring tensioner and or the other green spacer towards the front of the door.

Hoping for dropping windows in my future..........might be the door switch as PW has mentioned before
Old 07-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #8
Custom User Title Here

Garage
FYI: I don’t think I could move my cable sheath either until I rolled it down part way (no slack in the cable sheath when it’s all the way up or down).
Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 PM   #9

ahhhh ok......I have it all the way up.....not sure if the window will roll down without the door panel on....but good tip.....I will lower it then check....good timing......

Thank you!!!!!!!
Old 07-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #10

Hello all.......Well its been hotter then I can remember around here.....havent been out in the garage as much as I would like to fix the window issue. But I have been doing my homework while not doing much actual work on the car. Given that my cables are tight and that I have the double beep and interior lights that come on and go off at odd times.......Like PW originally suggested I am much more confident that my door switch needs to be replaced vs the ole zip tie trick. I purchased and received the 101 Projects for a Boxster book and it pinpoints the switch that is causing my issue seen in purple arrow in included pic. Now this book doesnt go much further into how to replace that switch .........so I am asking you guys......How do I replace just that switch?

I will say that my window zips right up when I shut the door so that switch is good. My windows also zip right down when i open the top...so that switch is good. Its just the switch from opening the outside door handle.

Thanks
Name:  p74.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  163.2 KB
Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box7774 View Post
Hello all.......Well its been hotter then I can remember around here.....havent been out in the garage as much as I would like to fix the window issue. But I have been doing my homework while not doing much actual work on the car. Given that my cables are tight and that I have the double beep and interior lights that come on and go off at odd times.......Like PW originally suggested I am much more confident that my door switch needs to be replaced vs the ole zip tie trick. I purchased and received the 101 Projects for a Boxster book and it pinpoints the switch that is causing my issue seen in purple arrow in included pic. Now this book doesnt go much further into how to replace that switch .........so I am asking you guys......How do I replace just that switch?
I am facing this job as well. If you spend a little time googling you will find a few helpful videos and some written description about how to replace this switch. IIRC, the exterior door handle needs to be removed and there is a plastic clip for the rod that if not removed gingerly, will break (cheap plastic + age). Some of the other forum sites (e.g. Rentech have some how-to's as well)

This switch is also used in VWs (jetta I believe) and audi's (A4 and A6 I think). Of course one can get the exact Porsche part but a little digging on the net will turn up the exact same switch for a LOT cheaper.
I believe the original switch is mfg by Burgess, but I am still looking for the p/n - once I disassemble my door I'll figure it out)
Amazon and Flea-bay are sources for good alternatives.
Good luck
J
boxster_nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 01:11 PM   #12

keep us posted, I've got the same issue.
zerosleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:40 PM   #13

I certainly will once I weed this issue out. There are a couple different micro switches and each one does a separate function. It appears that the one that I have isolated in the pic a few posts a go is responsible for telling the window to drop when opening door handle. There are many posts about the other fix for this issue.....zip tie and bike adjuster but I have yet to find any info on just replacing this micro switch. I have feelers out....hoping someone will come through soon.
Old 07-22-2019, 08:16 AM   #14

This is like doing a puzzle. I have no idea how we used to do this without the internet. I guess we just paid the man. So this is what I have come up with so far. Particle Wave has been on point since the beginning but didnt spoon feed me the " how to " portion of replacing the door switches

I found the door micro switch that supposedly functions as the window drop down via the door handle.........I am going to try this first before and window regulator work because it is easy and cheap. I have now discovered Pelican Parts.....Lots of good info over there.
Here is the part that I will be trying. If anyone has a vid on how to install please let me know. It looks to be just plug and play...but I am crossing my fingers that i dont have to remove the airbag to do so.

see link
https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/99661312500M100.htm?pn=996-613-125-00-M100&bt=Y&fs=0&SVSVSI=1047
Old 07-22-2019, 09:33 AM   #15
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box7774 View Post
... I found the door micro switch that supposedly functions as the window drop down via the door handle.........I am going to try this first before and window regulator work because it is easy and cheap....
Having found PelicanParts, you have probably seen the Tech Articles, but here's the link just in case:
https://www.pelicanparts.com/boxster/boxster_tech.htm
Most of it follows the 101 Projects Book, but being online there is a comments section and additional pics.

For the microswitch, I'd use a multimeter and test the switch in place before buying a replacement.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:47 AM   #16
Custom User Title Here

Garage
I’m not supposed to be posting right now, but I feel obligated...

I’m a little confused. I thought your window wasn’t dropping enough, but now you’re saying it’s not dropping at all when the outside handle is pulled, correct?
Zero noise or movement?
Old 07-22-2019, 01:27 PM   #17

Hey guys...thanks for trying to help....I will pay it forward once I get this figured out. I am a better teacher then student.

So I was on Pelican and looked through all of those articles but I did not see any regarding the door handle micro switch. I purchased the 101 projects book and it does not cover anymore then the pic I included several posts back. So if you know of any kind of tutorial on how to replace this switch please send me a link. It looks to be kind of plug and play....but now you are saying door handle needs to be removed etc...I can handle it....just want to know the procedure.

My inner door panel is currently removed awaiting either the parts or the knowledge to move forward.

PW here is what I know
>>>> from outside the car I lift the handle and the window does not move.
>>>> I just tried it and I seemed to hear a slight noise on the first try and nothing on the second try.
>>>> inner door is removed so I cannot try inside handle...but when I did I swear the window moved a little bit but not enough...again..from inside handle.
>>>> there is no slack at all in my reg cable with window up or window halfway down...I have not unearthed the front green spacer yet....I tried to pull hard enough to feel spring tension but felt zero play in rear cable near green spacer. I think u mentioned you found slack in your front or forward cable.
>>>> I ordered the door handle micro switch today from Pelican.

I really want to button up this repair so I can get the ole gal out of the garage.
Old 07-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #18

THIS JUST IN.......HOT NEWS!!!! I felt like I was letting u guys down by not removing the entire inner door insulator and speaker assembly. Its one thing to ask a bunch of questions but I know I need to do my part.

So here are the clues I was working off of.........

PW said his repair was on the front green spacer.....nobody else has reported this as far as I know...but the thought was lingering in my head...gotta get to that front spacer!

When I manually push the window down with my hands it seemed to sink in the front more then the back.

There were no grinding or bad noises that would indicate the regulator motor.

There was zero play with front green spacer and cable

The inner handle seemed to work but just barely.

All that said I bucked up and got on my knees before the 986......gently removed the foam insulation and the speaker box and there before my very eyes was the frickin front green spacer!!!!!!!!!! I gave it a mighty yank and low and behold .....SLACK...........AND LOTS OF IT!!!!! Tried one zip tie with minimal luck.....tried 2 zip ties together and without celebrating too early I do believe the window is now on the move.

Anyone wanna buy a micro switch?

My next conundrum will be .....do I get a bicycle adjuster and figure out how to install the thing.......or are zip ties a lasting repair?
Old 07-22-2019, 02:50 PM   #19
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Nice sleuthing

I don’t think the zip ties are a long term fix, but you can probably button it back up, order the bike cable tensioner, then tackle it a month or two down the road. The zip ties should last that long.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #20

Dont judge me..........but this thing has frustrated me so darn much that I have walked out to the garage 3 times just to watch it work.

I am hoping the passenger side door is just the same issue but it seems odd especially since a passenger door doesnt get the use that the drivers door does.

So all, thanks for getting me through issue #1........special props to PW....there should be a thumbs up icon but I dont see one....so just imagine it ok.

My wife probably thinks I am a great guy and just tuning up her bicycle......ha ha.....she hasnt ridden that thing in years. I would bet u $100 the day after I remove the tension-er she will want to ride her bike.

Anyway....how in the hell do you install the tensioners? Do I have to break a perfectly good green spacer then somehow un clip the nub on the end to run through the part then hook back up? I will start to search for those threads now.

Here are some pics of my door.....I installed zip tie number 2 after the pic

Name:  p774.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  350.6 KB

Name:  p775.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  330.4 KB

Name:  p776.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  228.1 KB