Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-18-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Garage
My car is turning out to be a disaster - need words of encouragement

I purchased my 99' Boxster about 2 months ago from a small privately owned used car dealership in Waco Texas of all places. They purchased the car in Houston and drove it to Waco thinking that some rich Baylor college student would buy it, unfortunately that was not the case and it sat on their lot for months until I saved it.

The car had low miles and was in above average condition except for exterior dirt, a couple of busted out turn signals and a torn front bumper lip from being on their lot. No accidents and no door dings at all! I was amazed at how clean the engine compartment, under carriage and trunk compartments were. It's obviously been garaged for it's life.

Once I got it to my home shop I did a full detail and the car looked great cosmetically. Mechanically it's turning out to be a disaster. It's becoming obvious that the 2 prior owners failed to repair anything and let issues pile up.

I've only driven the car a total of 50 miles since I bought it and virtually every time I take it out something fails. It's to the point where I'm scared to drive it for fear that some major issue will once again pop up.

The first thing to go was the master cylinder, then the brake booster. Porsche says the brake boosters almost never fail! After that was repaired the brake wear indicator came on on the way home from the shop! Then the starter failed! This past weekend coolant started spewing from a cracked coolant tank.

I am still committed to the car.... or should I be? I am worried about the IMS bearing but I don't think it's really an issue on the 99'? or is it? Should I sell this car or continue to spend money on it?

Last edited by michael_J_brown; 05-18-2017 at 07:50 AM.
michael_J_brown is offline   Reply With Quote