Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 11:34 AM   #21

Josh,
Here is a redacted message from another Forum member that will give readers an idea of the costs involved:
""Clean trans, teardown to remove input pinion shafts. Teardown shafts to replace "sealed" bearings, press off gears on pinion, install new bearing. Inspect all sync's (OK). Assemble shafts clean housings, replace front housing mount. Seal up & install housing, check selector. OK."

Part nos for the replaced bearings were 99630280800 (as above) and 99630280700.

Total invoice was a little over $2.5k, which doesn't I think include trans R&R.

In addition, there may be "While You are In There" jobs like IMSB, RMS,DMF, Clutch, CV Joints,shifter cables. So the whole parts cost could exceed the used market value of the car even if you do all the labor yourself.
This could be a problem - just ask your wife !
If you wish to save the marriage - tell her this is a labor of love because the car is for her ? :-) How else can yo justify it?

Last edited by Gelbster; 08-12-2016 at 04:08 PM.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #22
1999 base

Garage
i have a feeling i might need this thread somewhere in the future
subscribed.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #23

Josh/ DarkStar
So how is this project going ?
How did the trick with the string on the shift forks work out ?
I have found that as far as the bearings and small parts are concerned, that very sticky red grease helps. But ... you can't hear the part fall if it is slathered in sticky grease!
Old 09-03-2016, 07:53 AM   #24

Garage
Oh I'm not doing it now. I have to drive the car. It's my daily. I only pulled it apart to confirm what was damaged so I know what to get.

The string made it easy. Just wrapped it around the shaft to keep it centered and pushed the case down and it seated just fine. And then pulled the string out and sealed it.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2017, 09:26 PM   #25

Hello, I’ve been searching for info on safe removal of the g86.2 rear cover so I can attempt a replacement of the brass gear selector bushing(996-303-515-00) as well as seal; slight leak and play at external selector. I have the transmission out for a clutch, rms, and possible ims bearing replacement. After emptying transmission fluid, can I simply remove the rear cover with transmission vertical resting on bell housing? Do I need to make sure it’s in gear or neutral? Will parts fall into the gearbox if it’s vertical? I read and understand your method of realigning gear shafts with a string so if it’s as easy as popping off the cover to work on these parts then realigning I feel I can tackle this job. I’ve worked on motorcycle transmissions and the design of this gearbox and selector mechanism is similar. Thanks for your help!
Htci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #26

Search on Rennlist in the 996 Section. Some Epic threads there. Special tools required and great skill!
See POst 3 8 in this Thread.
btw the puller is not Kiko it is kUkko. But other "Slender Arm" pullers may work.
The unsolved mystery is to find an easily sourced rod as specified by Gary Jackson in his pdf write up
Anyone got a solution to that ?
The next issue is the cost of the unusual bearings. In theory you can import them from China and you will see mention of that but no definitive answer.Still waiting for someone to solve that too.

Last edited by Gelbster; 10-25-2017 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:15 PM   #27
1999 base

Garage
Here is an excellent write up.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0yie0ew0cb774fe/2002BoxsterSTransmissionRebuildDecember2011Revisio n3.pdf?dl=0
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:42 PM   #28

Thanks for leading me to Gary and Lenny’s writeup! It looks like they disassembled and reassembled vertically but I’m also reading others in this post saying that parts will drop. Is this preventable by disassembling horizontally? Has anyone else just replaced the gear selector bushing and seal? Otherwise my transmission doesn’t need any work.