View Single Post
Old 08-09-2016, 09:11 PM   #4
DarkStar

Garage
I've heard of said "Special Tool" But I've also heard that you just need a puller and a press which I have more than enough access to.... As for an actual special tool IDK what it is. And what it is for.

I do agree that the G86/G96 Transmissions have a very lacking knowledge base. All the people who do work on them seem to hide such info, I guess so they can make the money to do it themselves. But I've been building cars for some time, and while transmissions were never something I'd want to do, I have rebuilt a couple. And on top of it, I have tons of support from high end mechanics, engineers that work on cars and have tons of cool tools like CNC Machines etc.... and so much more. So besides this specialty tool, I believe I should be able to do the job.

As for price, I'm a little lost on that since what I do find is mixed. I've seen just a plain 2nd gear once for like 400 bucks, and I've seen it go for 1800. But finding prices again that aren't soo high has been difficult. I'm not too worried about doing this now, but it is the last remaining problem on my 01S.

So I have some time to keep researching now that I for sure know what is wrong. As for the problem, if you can't tell in the picture, the dog ring is grinded down pretty bad. When I got the car, 2nd gear was already tricky and was lied to about it by the dealer. Months later when playing with the car it was no more. I've gotten in the habit of shifting 1st to 3rd.

As for bearings, I didn't need to. See I just had the transmission media blasted to clean up for a 3D Scan of the belhousing for a special project I'm working on for the future. Something typical Porsche people are going to disown me for doing. During this, the seal on the axle output started leaking. So I popped the guy out and cleaned up some sand and put it back in. However due to this leak, it showed me that my transmission fluid was completely totaled. Its a yellowish white milky... whatever. So this is what made me decide to pop the case apart now. So when I pulled it apart, I started to look around, looking for my 2nd Gear and the 2nd Gear Failure. I found 2nd gear due to the damage done to the dog ring. IT was that noticable. The rest of the transmission is good. During my searching I was seeing video footage of the bearing failure of the G86/G96 Transmissions. And about the finger test. But with the case apart I didn't need to do this, I could see the metal and grease sluged around the magnet. And it wasn't as bad as some video's I've seen. But still, dirty as hell. I cleaned the magnet before putting it back in. BUT, I will not do this 2nd gear without upgrading the bearings. I'm not in the habit of half doing a job. If there is something that "WILL" fail eventually, and is already showing signs, I will replace it.

As for popping out.... No, it wont even go into gear. The detent was never an issue. It wasn't something I could pop into gear and have to hold it to keep it there, There is no 2nd due to the physical damage of the dog ring. First issues I had were grinding going in on normal shifting. An issue that wasn't a problem on other gears. The rest of the transmission shifts just fine. I knew it wasn't the detent from day one of searching since that seems to be a common problem. I never had this issue when it did shift.

I would enjoy as much info as I can grasp. Knowing the issue is the biggest part in my eyes. Can't just go around guessing whats wrong and researching the repairs of this. I had to know. And I'm glad I know. So now I just need to search for a new 2nd Gear at a good price that is worth it, and new style roller bearings and wait for a day when I can tear it down and not have to worry about getting to and from work. Right now I'm borrowing brothers truck while I do the IMS, Clutch, RMS, AOS and any oil leak I could find. But I can't stand driving this truck any longer and cannot afford anymore repairs right now.

IF you have any info at all, By all means I'd love to learn more. I thank you for your response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
Josh,
Well done for tackling a job that few have written about. It is the biggest 'secret' about the Boxster S and 6 speed 996.
There is a little info in Search but very little about the big problems:
1. The cost of the replacement parts is eye watering
2. The puller & press required is daunting
3. You need special tool made(doable) to insert before you start with the puller/press.
This is not a task for the feint hearted or novice transmission rebuilders.
If you are really going to dismantle and remove worn bearings and replace the 2nd gear, there is much reading and research to do. I have done some of that work and am pleased to share but still have some big holes in my knowledge.
Did you do the simple 'sticky finger' test to determine if the seals on the bearings have failed? It would be a pity to do all the 2nd gear work and then have to re-do because of failed bearings.
Is the dog ring on 2nd visibly worn? Was it poping out of 2nd gear ?