Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #1

Really got lucky!

Last night, one of my sons accidentally left the garage door to the street open. My Boxster and my wife's Yukon XL. At 1:00 AM my other son heard the garage door into the laundry room. My other son was awake and heard the door. He got up and headed down stairs (with his drum sticks as a weapon). He did not see anything and checked the house and garage. Nothing was missing that he could see.

He woke my wife and I up and we did a full once over of the house. Nothing seemed to be amiss so we all went to bed.

Today I went to the car and noticed that some of the center console had been emptied out onto the passenger seat and the ashtray (coin holder) was open so *somebody had been IN MY CAR*. There was nothing removed from the car. My sunglasses were still clipped on my visor. My new radar detector was still hanging on the windshield.

My theory is that somebody was looking for a key. They entered the house to see if they could quickly find the key but left since my son was up.

I really dogged a bullet last night!

Old 07-25-2016, 02:58 PM   #2

Based on what's happened in my neighborhood, we have had "break ins" of unlocked cars (no broken glass or jimmied locks). Cops said probably kids looking for anything they can find... like loose change, wallets, credit cards, radar detectors, etc. Anything they can grab in 90 seconds. You'd be surprised what people leave in their cars.
m332is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 03:29 PM   #3

I had some thing similar happen to me about 10 years ago. The door to the house was locked but I had left out of habit my Carrera unlocked and forgot to close the garage door. They took a tool box I had since I was 14 and the faceplate to my car stereo (remember those). Crime of opportunity for sure and I was pretty pissed at myself.

Good to hear the incident didn't end up with a car stolen or worse.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #4
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
That is frightening. Glad to hear everything turned out well. Easy enough mistake to make.
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 06:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m332is View Post
Based on what's happened in my neighborhood, we have had "break ins" of unlocked cars (no broken glass or jimmied locks). Cops said probably kids looking for anything they can find... like loose change, wallets, credit cards, radar detectors, etc. Anything they can grab in 90 seconds. You'd be surprised what people leave in their cars.
+1 on that, my son is a cop and says this is pretty common......just looking for change and anything else they can make off really quickly and quietly with
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #6

Really got lucky!

Glad that you got lucky, very happy to hear it. I habitually lock my car, even when it's within my lock-up garage. Stories like this remind me why!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I had some thing similar happen to me about 10 years ago. The door to the house was locked but I had left out of habit my Carrera unlocked and forgot to close the garage door. They took a tool box I had since I was 14 and the faceplate to my car stereo (remember those). Crime of opportunity for sure and I was pretty pissed at myself.

Good to hear the incident didn't end up with a car stolen or worse.
That is why I hate removable faceplates. Just something easy for opportunistic kids to steal. Much better to have locking radio codes. My experience with this kind of thing was when some kids stole the knobs off my radio and the engine hoist I borrowed from my garage. On a positive note, the guy gave me an old engine hoist and got a brand new one. :-/
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:24 AM   #8

This is why I seldom lock my car BUT never leave anything of value in it. 20 years ago someone stole the stereo out of my 1986 Carrera cab. Only doing so they caused more than $3500 collateral damage They ripped the roof and the full leather dashboard area to get a $1500 stereo.
About 6 weeks ago my car and my F150 , my Boxster and my wife,s BMW all had their consoles/gloveboxes emptied no damage other than about $5.00 change taken. About 2 weeks ago a neighbour,s truck was stolen It was recovered about 20 miles from here door lock and steering lock broken but lucky it wasn,t stripped.
johnsjmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #9

Coming out of a restaurant in midday Houston heat with some co-workers and one of our group had driven her brand new Sequoia. Two 'youts speeding away from near her car which had a smashed drivers window. Only thing they stole was what they probably thought was a purse. It was actually her bible...
dsallean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:08 PM   #10

Lucky you indeed :/

Here what happened to my wife and I while on a road trip to Shangri-La, in the South west of China. We were driving around south with a General Motor minivan rental for 5 weeks, filled with luggage, hardware, food, credit cards, cameras, we had it all almost. We were also occasionally sleeping in the back of the van when we were stuck in remote places.

One night, sleeping with windows opened, the cheapo aftermarket car alarm suddenly triggers, beep beep beep loud f n beeps. Its loud when you are in the mountain miles away from civilization anyway. We both wake-up, and as soon as my eyes open I see some activity in the front of the van. Was convinced the alarm was screwed having had issues with it a few days before. Look up slowly and barely can see anything, so dark, just woke-up/brain dead, but I can see in the dark shadows what appears to be long facial hair dudes, masked, their eyes blacken commandos-style, moving ultra fast as-in “non-human fast”, flying our stuff around like we weren’t even there. Was so noisy, stuff landing on us and everything. Wife was literally petrified, frozen, and I was in an even worst situation; petrified x10 , frozenX10, and on the edge of an heat attack.

Even if I had ten handguns, a missile launcher, nuclear bombs, or knives I wouldn't even be able to use any of it. Totally numb, hands, brain, everything.

The only thing my wife was able to do was whispering UFO UFO UFO with a terrified tone, totally lost it right there, gone mad, sad thing. As for me, the only thing I was able to do was trying X10 to get my heart to beat again, each and every single heartbeats were asked for (I think). Life at its slowest - going to die moment. Or abducted, totally confused.

Suddenly, poof, just like that, noise stops and we hear branches cracking, something yelling quite far away, sounded like a broken horn. So I quickly grab my flashlight and start aiming where the scream came from. As soon as I aimed the light in the woods, red dots were suddenly appearing everywhere. Pairs after pairs. There were about 200 pairs of red eyes moving and dancing left to right in a slow flashing way. I nearly passed away at that moment. Instantly crouched back low and told my wife don’t move, don’t make a single noise.

As soon as day light was strong enough for both of to regain our dignity, we looked up the side window to find our stuff all over the place. They took our bags we placed on the driver and passenger seat and emptied them all over the place, stuff hanging trees, credit cards the ditch, on logs, it was bloody everywhere. Looked like a Woodstock Festival aftermath.

The scariest part is when we got to the nearest village and looked up for an officer to report what happened. He was NOT worry and told us to remain calm (?!?!). Went to his office and there he shows us some pics of what was happening that night. My wife busted in tears and I went straight back to my frozen mode for the rest of the day – not a word. Wife same, completely silent, both of us. Affected, deeply affected.

I’m actually starting the other PC atm, kept the pic the officer gave me. As soon as this boots up I’ll post (pc is updating something it takes forever…) arggg
Old 07-26-2016, 12:11 PM   #11

Someone broke into and attempted to steal the Yukon XL across the street from us the other night. In speaking with the police car thieves are really interested in the 6L motors, apparently worth a lot. You're probably spot on about looking for a key, but may not have been for the Boxster.
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:32 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
Lucky you indeed :/

Here what happened to my wife and I while on a road trip to Shangri-La, in the South west of China. We were driving around south with a General Motor minivan rental for 5 weeks, filled with luggage, hardware, food, credit cards, cameras, we had it all almost. We were also occasionally sleeping in the back of the van when we were stuck in remote places.

One night, sleeping with windows opened, the cheapo aftermarket car alarm suddenly triggers, beep beep beep loud f n beeps. Its loud when you are in the mountain miles away from civilization anyway. We both wake-up, and as soon as my eyes open I see some activity in the front of the van. Was convinced the alarm was screwed having had issues with it a few days before. Look up slowly and barely can see anything, so dark, just woke-up/brain dead, but I can see in the dark shadows what appears to be long facial hair dudes, masked, their eyes blacken commandos-style, moving ultra fast as-in “non-human fast”, flying our stuff around like we weren’t even there. Was so noisy, stuff landing on us and everything. Wife was literally petrified, frozen, and I was in an even worst situation; petrified x10 , frozenX10, and on the edge of an heat attack.

Even if I had ten handguns, a missile launcher, nuclear bombs, or knives I wouldn't even be able to use any of it. Totally numb, hands, brain, everything.

The only thing my wife was able to do was whispering UFO UFO UFO with a terrified tone, totally lost it right there, gone mad, sad thing. As for me, the only thing I was able to do was trying X10 to get my heart to beat again, each and every single heartbeats were asked for (I think). Life at its slowest - going to die moment. Or abducted, totally confused.

Suddenly, poof, just like that, noise stops and we hear branches cracking, something yelling quite far away, sounded like a broken horn. So I quickly grab my flashlight and start aiming where the scream came from. As soon as I aimed the light in the woods, red dots were suddenly appearing everywhere. Pairs after pairs. There were about 200 pairs of red eyes moving and dancing left to right in a slow flashing way. I nearly passed away at that moment. Instantly crouched back low and told my wife don’t move, don’t make a single noise.

As soon as day light was strong enough for both of to regain our dignity, we looked up the side window to find our stuff all over the place. They took our bags we placed on the driver and passenger seat and emptied them all over the place, stuff hanging trees, credit cards the ditch, on logs, it was bloody everywhere. Looked like a Woodstock Festival aftermath.

The scariest part is when we got to the nearest village and looked up for an officer to report what happened. He was NOT worry and told us to remain calm (?!?!). Went to his office and there he shows us some pics of what was happening that night. My wife busted in tears and I went straight back to my frozen mode for the rest of the day – not a word. Wife same, completely silent, both of us. Affected, deeply affected.

I’m actually starting the other PC atm, kept the pic the officer gave me. As soon as this boots up I’ll post (pc is updating something it takes forever…) arggg
Geeez Fred......get that PC fired up. The suspense is killin me
Old 07-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccjazz View Post
Geeez Fred......get that PC fired up. The suspense is killin me
Sorry took a while. There, Those are the UFOs who robbed us of "everything" that night. Our food, our courage, our pride, muscle, brains... everything!

I swear the van was quiet for a full day. She was possibly thinking divorce, and I was trying to remember every single individuals I've called a "pussy" in my past years. Suddenly remorseful

First question officer Wang asked "From Shanghai City?!" lolllll

Old 07-26-2016, 01:07 PM   #14

UFO... Unidentified Furry Object?
ianacole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:20 PM   #15
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Stuff like this is why I keep my garage closed if I'm working in the backyard. Also, I keep my Porsche keys on my bar, usually.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post

I really dogged a bullet last night!
Trick is to leave a $20 bill at all time in the tray, that way they'll be jackpot-happy and just buzz off as quick as they came. Kids man.... iPhones and games aren't cheap anymore I've heard :/

Lok ur turf. I do now as you can imagine, traumatized.

Anything can happen, careful there fellas
Old 07-26-2016, 02:01 PM   #17

Fred- this is why you should always, if possible, take your PPC (personal protective canines) with you on vacation. They will be happier and you will have fewer interesting stories to tell Seriously, I might have crapped my pants to wake up like that!

My 9YO came back in the kitchen all breathless about 6am a few mos ago to report that someone had written on my car overnight. I did not finish my coffee before going out to investigate. There in the morning dew someone's fingertip had traced out the word FXXX on the driver's door, right about where they would have crouched to look inside and see the dual flashing lights of the alarm! Since then I have been more vigilant about locking it...
BrokenLinkage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:28 PM   #18

FXXX??? now why the hell would anyone write that word alone. how dumb. Upsetting more than anything. wt...

Monki ville rage happened 9 years ago lolll Vocal-less little shi^t they were grabbing and pulling our backpacks like humans do. So piled up in the front we couldn't see half of what was happening. Pitch black dark night middle of nowhere. Hidden-to-die in the back of a GM Minivan lolllll Feel it like I did (hope you've enjoyed the story)

Yup, both puppies travel with us. At least our youngest always do. Thor is way too busy guarding his silly thread-less 19" Michellin tire so he stay home for more than one day trips. HIS TIRE, nobody can touch it... funniest

Last edited by Nine8Six; 07-26-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Nine8Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 04:44 PM   #19

Garage
You're lucky Fred, though I'm sure I would have been thinking it was robbery, kidnapping or worse. Happy you made it through that one.

Stupid monkeys....they could have had a blast running up your credit cards
Old 07-27-2016, 03:34 AM   #20

On the Island of Kauai, many of the parking lots are very long walks from the beaches. This is the perfect opportunity for the local kids. People are too far away to hear windows break and tourists leave their cameras and wallets in plain sight. One time walking back from the beach, coming around a bend I saw some kids casing cars with a big rock in one of their hands. I sprinted back and started screaming at them. They must of thought this was one really loco "haole"...acted tough...while backing up on their heals. They scurried up the road to their getaway/lookout car. Wonder if that deterred them at all?

Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote