Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2016, 09:21 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
I ran into a similar thing, had play at 9/3 but it felt like heavy play. I spent an hour trying to figure out where it was coming from before my father said "you know the steering wheel is turning a little, right?"

He hopped in and held the wheel, no play.
I don't think the wheel was moving but it is definitely worth checking out again. I drive the car and I sill here a clunk when I go over some bumps. I originally thought it was roll bar ends then I way my tie rod boot was obliterated.

jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:19 PM   #22
Project Addicted

You will need help to get this looseness found. Have someone do that shaking while you look and feel for looseness. I have seen loose strut cartridges, to just going-bad ball joints cause some small movements.
1986 944, 2000 Boxster
jcslocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #23

There's also a plastic sleeve where the steering column goes through the fire wall. Those are known to break and cause some issues with steering system clunking. Again, the spec guys are usually the ones hitting me up for that sleeve
Old 07-27-2016, 06:33 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTapper View Post
I ran into a similar thing, had play at 9/3 but it felt like heavy play. I spent an hour trying to figure out where it was coming from before my father said "you know the steering wheel is turning a little, right?"

He hopped in and held the wheel, no play.
Wheel was moving. Had daughter hold it. I feel a slight bit of movement but that might be normal.
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper31 View Post
Thanks all. I cut the top of the tie rod off under the nut and it just dropped out. Replaced the tie rod, put it all together. Tried to shake the wheel as before and there is still play in the wheel when I shake it with my hands at 9 and 3. There is no play with hands at 12 and 6. And ideas what it could be now? Thanks.i
This is usually rack wear.

FauxDiablo is offline   Reply With Quote