986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Tie rod removal problem. (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/62497-tie-rod-removal-problem.html)

jeeper31 07-24-2016 04:43 PM

Tie rod removal problem.

2 Attachment(s)
Was trying to get Tie rod off and stripped the head is the torx screw so I can't get the nut off to remove the tie rod. Any advice?

Timco 07-24-2016 05:00 PM

Isn't the part of the shaft that's visible flat on two sides where a wrench can grab it?

Looks like maybe a cut off and new track arm.

jeeper31 07-24-2016 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timco (Post 504354)
Isn't the part of the shaft that's visible flat on two sides where a wrench can grab it?

Looks like maybe a cut off and new track arm.

Thanks.

You mean get a wrench between the ball joint and the sleeve it sits through?
What would be the best way to cut it?

jsceash 07-24-2016 05:21 PM

Might try a saws-all with a high-speed steel blade. Second wold be a 4" angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel. Last would be a die grinder similar cutting blade. It's probably easier to cut the nut than the actual tapered shaft, in which case you might get away with a cutting wheel on a Dremel.

san rensho 07-24-2016 05:23 PM

Does the nut turn. If it does then get a sacrificial torx/hex bit and jam it in the stripped torx. You should then be able to hold the bolt so you can get the nut off.

Gilles 07-24-2016 06:15 PM

+ 1 on Dremel tool

If I were in your shoes, I would jut cut the nut with a dremel.
You will still have plenty of fun left trying to remove the ball joint from the arm...
Good luck

jeeper31 07-24-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by san rensho (Post 504359)
Does the nut turn. If it does then get a sacrificial torx/hex bit and jam it in the stripped torx. You should then be able to hold the bolt so you can get the nut off.

The nut is frozen on the torx. I don't think I can get another torx in there.

911monty 07-24-2016 06:39 PM

Try a nut splitter?

Disaster 07-24-2016 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gilles (Post 504361)
If I were in your shoes, I would jut cut the nut with a dremel.
You will still have plenty of fun left trying to remove the ball joint from the arm...
Good luck

Ditto on that. Have had to do the same thing before. Dremel groove followed by nut splitter.

jeeper31 07-25-2016 11:15 AM

Thanks all. I cut the top of the tie rod off under the nut and it just dropped out. Replaced the tie rod, put it all together. Tried to shake the wheel as before and there is still play in the wheel when I shake it with my hands at 9 and 3. There is no play with hands at 12 and 6. And ideas what it could be now? Thanks.i

steved0x 07-25-2016 11:52 AM

Could it be play at the other end of the tie rod? There is a ball joint there too. Unclear if you replaced the whole tie rod or just the outboard end. Also, If the steering wheel is not immobilized you might get some shake? Have someone sit in the car and hold the wheel? 3rd, there is also a ball joint on the LCA that constrains the movement of the wheel, possibly there is play there?

jeeper31 07-25-2016 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steved0x (Post 504442)
Could it be play at the other end of the tie rod? There is a ball joint there too. Unclear if you replaced the whole tie rod or just the outboard end. Also, If the steering wheel is not immobilized you might get some shake? Have someone sit in the car and hold the wheel? 3rd, there is also a ball joint on the LCA that constrains the movement of the wheel, possibly there is play there?

Thanks.

I replaced the outer control arm but when it was apart I really pulled on the inner and it felt fine. How can I check the bushing in the LCA? Could it be wheel bearings?

steved0x 07-25-2016 02:53 PM

If it was wheel bearing seems like you would get movement even at 12 and 6. I don't know how to check the other ball joint, maybe watch it while someone else shakes the wheel?

JFP in PA 07-25-2016 03:11 PM

The inner ball joint is threaded into the steering rack, and should exhibit no free play and any direction. If it does show play, it must be replaced as well.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...-rod-large.jpg

jeeper31 07-25-2016 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA (Post 504459)
The inner ball joint is threaded into the steering rack, and should exhibit no free play and any direction. If it does show play, it must be replaced as well.

http://www.elephantracing.com/suspen...-rod-large.jpg

I am getting no movement from the inner ball joint.

jcslocum 07-26-2016 03:01 AM

If the inner and outer tie rod ends are tight, then you are looking at wear in the rack itself or the rack mounts. This is a system and you can chase/see what is loose as you go towards the steering wheel. You will need some help to get the wiggling and seeing done at the same time.

Good luck!

jeeper31 07-26-2016 04:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcslocum (Post 504508)
If the inner and outer tie rod ends are tight, then you are looking at wear in the rack itself or the rack mounts. This is a system and you can chase/see what is loose as you go towards the steering wheel. You will need some help to get the wiggling and seeing done at the same time.

Good luck!

Thanks. If it's just one side can it be the rack? The drivers wheel is tight

itsnotanova 07-26-2016 04:51 AM

The R&P on these cars is a great unit and I've never had anyone ask for one except for guys who race spec and that's because they hit something. Not saying it can't be the R&P, but I would think it's something else.

jeeper31 07-26-2016 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsnotanova (Post 504517)
The R&P on these cars is a great unit and I've never had anyone ask for one except for guys who race spec and that's because they hit something. Not saying it can't be the R&P, but I would think it's something else.

Thanks. That's good news. Which also means you have plenty if I need one. lol

JTapper 07-26-2016 09:14 AM

I ran into a similar thing, had play at 9/3 but it felt like heavy play. I spent an hour trying to figure out where it was coming from before my father said "you know the steering wheel is turning a little, right?"

He hopped in and held the wheel, no play.