Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 04:25 AM   #1
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Porsche 718 Cayman and Boxster To Get N/A Flat-Six 3.8-Litre In GT4 Spec

So the the NA flat 6 will still be available in two 718 variants

Porsche 718 Cayman and Boxster To Get N/A Flat-Six 3.8-Litre In GT4 Spec

paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:19 AM   #2
Known Gearhead

Garage
Yay!

Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

Glad to hear that. After having test driven a 718 Boxster S I am not that excited about the turbo 4.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 AM   #4

How absolutely ironic...

"Six-cylinder turbocharged engine wouldn't fit," he said. "Naturally-aspirated we have today, and most likely we will offer versions in the future, like GT4 for example. We keep this line of naturally-aspirated engines in the GT3 and GT3 RS and so on, as well as GT4, we will develop it."
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:14 PM   #5

What is the round lens looking thing in the front center grill ?
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Best news that I've heard from Porsche in quite awhile!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
What is the round lens looking thing in the front center grill ?
Hi,

this is a radar system to measure the distance to the car in front of you. There will be also an option to read speed signs and show the actual speed limit in the instrument cluster display.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Glad to hear that. After having test driven a 718 Boxster S I am not that excited about the turbo 4.
You are not alone.

Eight of the Worst Sounding Performance Cars You Can Buy Today
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:08 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi,

this is a radar system to measure the distance to the car in front of you. There will be also an option to read speed signs and show the actual speed limit in the instrument cluster display.

Regards, Markus
Some thing tells me that who ever (automaker) will offer a vehicle with 2 sets of keys, four wheels, brakes and a gas pedal hard wired to an air/fuel mix intake, WILL take over that Playstation-like market in no time.

Would be nice to consider (automakers, if you are reading these). At least when a world power decide to shut down the transportation network of another, my little car will still work
Old 07-29-2016, 05:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
IMHO, None of the Boxsters had a good exhaust note until the 981. Early Boxsters made their distinct sound through the intake.

1997 986

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS-ziueYQkA

2009 987.2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUgNifW2tzM

2013 981

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4eyg6Cy8M
Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:08 AM   #11

Garage
They really should make a technology delete in modern cars. Cameras are ugly, big screens in the dash are ugly. Cars like the s class have removed all analog gauges thankfully the new panamera kept the tach, but everything else is digital. Aesthetically speaking I like a digital speedo at most, some air conditioning, and a simple radio with a way to play music from ones phone.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:11 AM   #12

Garage
As for sounds. Someone I trust well said the new 718 sounds better to him then the 981 from outside of the car especially at idle and Reving it up. (Also that the S is noticeably better sounding.) He says it's by no means a flat 6 sound but it sounds good. Meanwhile, he said it's really lacking on sound from the interior.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #13

What's the dial at 1:04?

Personally I can't stand the farting at engine unload.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #14

Garage
The dial selects Sport Mode, Sport Plus, and a customizable setting. There's also a 20-second 'Sport Response' feature that supposedly spools up the turbos so they are ready to go for maximum performance/passing/etc. I had the opportunity to drive both (PDK) versions of the new 718 this week on a closed auto-x track, and actually preferred the base Boxster with the base exhaust. (I believe what you see in the video is the base with a performance exhaust, which adds no performance, but instead lots of farts and burbles).

I only drove the cars with the top and windows up, so unfortunately didn't get to hear much of the intake, but the interior sounds were good. From the outside, the base Box w/base exhaust was clearly the best sounding car. We had about three hours of exposure to the cars, including about 40 min of total seat time. The opinion of more than a few attendees was the same as mine regarding the exhaust note, and we were pleasantly surprised.

I was impressed with the subtle new changes to the body, and the performance and interior was obviously greatly improved over my base 2003 986. On the courses we ran, the S model didn't really offer anything above the base. I think the turbo makes the base a much more capable car with the low end torque. I walked away with a changed mind, and would consider leasing a base model 718 at a reasonable price (or purchasing one a few years from now)....I was impressed.

Of course, they let us drive the new 911 S as well. Wow. Kinda ruined it....lol...that car is amazing (I have previously driven a 991 Targa 4S). Then again, with a few options it's $120,000 and twice the price of a base Box. The Macan GTS impressed as well.

I will say, however, as I left the event in my 986, the intake and engine sounds of our flat sixes are still sweet. After a few miles, I didn't miss the extra 75 horsepower and newer feel of the 718. The original Boxster still brings a smile. Though I will be looking at upgrading my steering wheel to something a little thicker. Those new steering wheals are nice.

Last edited by tomonomics; 07-29-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: edited to include the correct 'sport response' mode
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
What's the dial at 1:04?

Personally I can't stand the farting at engine unload.
That is the mode selector dial. You can choose different driving programs, which affects different parameters.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #16

4-cyl I'm impressed (although never seen/tried the car myself)

That farting.burping is not going to happen here for sure... I'd be so embarrassed to own something that fakes somehow broken-engine/ims-like noises. Geez. Hopefully the thing shuts-up on the normal mode, could work until aftermarket exhaust manufacturers "fix" it.

On a in-car note, its not all that bad. This car is certainly rocket fast for a little 4-cyl. I think I'd settle for that. Could be fun, for when you feel street-suicidal loll

Old 07-29-2016, 11:09 AM   #17

Having driven the 718S it is fast but very clinically. My 02 S is much more invoking and fun just at lower speeds.

Fred, alot of the sound you are hearing in that video is pumped in by a speaker, which when you are driving the car is noticeably.

My wife drove the base and liked how that sounded and it sounds like others like it better then the S. I'm might have to go back to my dealer dealer and give it a try. For the driving I do it's still has plenty of power and is faster then any 986.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disaster View Post
IMHO, None of the Boxsters had a good exhaust note until the 981. Early Boxsters made their distinct sound through the intake.
who keeps the box stock!!

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 07-29-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 08:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Having driven the 718S it is fast but very clinically. My 02 S is much more invoking and fun just at lower speeds.

Fred, alot of the sound you are hearing in that video is pumped in by a speaker, which when you are driving the car is noticeably.

My wife drove the base and liked how that sounded and it sounds like others like it better then the S. I'm might have to go back to my dealer dealer and give it a try. For the driving I do it's still has plenty of power and is faster then any 986.
Know what you mean

I've heard from the guys that P is at the track in mid Aug and plan on bringing a few of those 718. That's the idea apparently. Other gossips says we won't be able to try them but can ride as passenger.

For street-use I can't think of needing anything faster than that myself lolll. The base price certainly seems appealing brand new but in my case (financially) it won't happen before min 2~3 years for sure anyway :/

Need to see that little red roadster in person, possibly the only chance I'll have to sit in one also. Really (really) like that car. Roadster fan in me says that chances that I buy one 'used' in just a few years is roughly 100% certain
Old 07-29-2016, 09:02 PM   #20

In the promo shots, they have 718km on the odometer and the clock reads 07:18. Cute.

Roger1965 is offline   Reply With Quote