Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2016, 06:11 AM   #21

Now all they need to do is make more of them with manual transmissions.

nobrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:43 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobrakes View Post
Now all they need to do is make more of them with manual transmissions.
Last weekend at a PCA event they had 5 for us to test drive and not one manual.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:23 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
Last weekend at a PCA event they had 5 for us to test drive and not one manual.
I understand where you are coming from and share the same opinion of a true driver car (Porsche 911R fan here)

Please take one paddle shiffter equipped car for a weekend and go furious with it. I promise you'll appreciate how precise, fail-proof and convenient it is. You can also poke your nose in moving traffic when ppl are staring at ya (auto mode!)

Seriously, and with all the paddles that I've tried (got them myself), I didn't find any down sides that could impact my decision in buying the same. The thing just works, prevents gear wear and bye bye to clutch change$

Worth a try, for a weekend, dearest drivers!
Old 07-30-2016, 11:13 AM   #24
WALDMEISTER

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
I understand where you are coming from and share the same opinion of a true driver car (Porsche 911R fan here)

Please take one paddle shiffter equipped car for a weekend and go furious with it. I promise you'll appreciate how precise, fail-proof and convenient it is. You can also poke your nose in moving traffic when ppl are staring at ya (auto mode!)

Seriously, and with all the paddles that I've tried (got them myself), I didn't find any down sides that could impact my decision in buying the same. The thing just works, prevents gear wear and bye bye to clutch change$

Worth a try, for a weekend, dearest drivers!
I must admit, I almost became a paddle shifter fan while driving a Porsche Macan S recently, super precise, fast and fun...but I noticed one "little" down side: Shifting while turning (steering wheel angle + 60°) feels odd, almost "dangerous". But it might just be me.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:38 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
Shifting while turning (steering wheel angle + 60°) feels odd, almost "dangerous". But it might just be me.
I drove a PDK Cayman GTS (previous model) on a track, and one of the things that the instructors made us try was just that...shifting in a hard turn. The rev-matching and smoothness of the shifts never upset the balance of the car. But I agree...it felt odd when you downshift in a turn and have the tach suddenly hit 5K.

I still prefer a standard third pedal and shifter, but the PDK is really good. I'd consider it in a 911 if it was going to be a DD or get a lot of use. But for a roadster, it's gotta be old school.
tomonomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:43 AM   #26

Today i was driving my Box open.

A 718 non S passed by with moderate acceleration. What an awful exhaust note. Bah. Not for me.

Think i will only be interested in GT4 cars. But to be honest, i'm not a fan of too much electronics. So maybe a 997 GT3 – if i could afford it. Meanwhile i'm very happy with my 986S.

And there is one car that catched my attention lately. It's a NG TC. This is a UK kit car that was inspired by the Aston Martin Ulster.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:11 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAN View Post
I must admit, I almost became a paddle shifter fan while driving a Porsche Macan S recently, super precise, fast and fun...but I noticed one "little" down side: Shifting while turning (steering wheel angle + 60°) feels odd, almost "dangerous". But it might just be me.
Note the "full weekend" proposal Make no mistake, it needs skills and getting used too. Very effective when you get the feel of it. When I first paddled a gearbox, I was mixing the up with downshift, loosing them when hard turning, etc. Took a few hours to get used too for sure. Like anything else I guess, practice makes perfect.

In a real life scenario, chances that you'll need to up/downshift in a tight corner is pretty rare. Not a pro driver but when at the track (2 wheels), I know what gear I'll be in before hitting the apex. Same for my corner exit. Disturbing balance (momentum) when cornering is pretty suicidal if you ask me. Guessing its similar if not the same for cars.