Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2016, 03:09 PM   #1

Garage
Useful information to know

I purchased a 2001 S in March. She's my second Boxster and my first 6 speed S model. Love the car but I've hated the instrument cluster since the day I picked it up.

So I've been searching for the Dot-Matrix cluster online and on 986 forum. When I was about to pull the trigger on what I thought was the right cluster, I got lucky and asked to see it working before I clicked the buy it now link. Lucky me, because the part number wasn't the Matrix display. My original cluster was 986.641.213.00. I contacted Porsche and was told 986.641.233.00 was what I wanted. Well, this time I didn't get to ask for a pic before purchase. I crossed my fingers and clicked the magical link. Then the wait began. I checked tracking obsessively before and after work. I'd even catch myself checking tracking at 2am when I'd go to the bathroom. Well, today was the day. It showed up and I was a little worried until I popped her in.

I could not be happier. I am so pleased that I'm going to leave the cluster uninstalled until I can find a source for the wiring to plug into the cluster to run into my radio compartment for a manual switch. Does anyone here sell this cable to get my OBC working? I've still not found a Porsche dealer that will turn it on but I'd be happy to get the whole thing done and that might actually help as I'm calling them on the phone and asking. Maybe if I show up with the car and ask, they'll play ball. Anyway, I just want everyone here to know that if you have a Boxster Manual, then all you need is the 986.641.233.00 cluster. IT's the correct one. Don't know if there are other part numbers that are also Dot-Matrix but I know this one is. Thanks for looking. Can't wait to see the OBC display. Cheers!

Chaiyz

Old 07-29-2016, 03:20 PM   #2

Garage
OH, and by the way. I can confirm with 100% accuracy that with this display, you get outside temp even if the OBC is not turned on. I'll post a pic if you'd like.
Old 07-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #3

Garage
Old 07-29-2016, 03:38 PM   #4

Garage
BTW, if anyone would like the old cluster, pm me.
Old 07-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #5

PMed you

I can help you with a cable for your OBC
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #6

I like the new one a lot. Will it display the mileage of your car or the car it came from?
jeeper31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #7

Garage
Strange to me but the milage must be stored inside the instrument cluster
Old 07-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #8

Is there an equivalent with a 996 cluster? To get the extra gauges (volt & oil).

In Pelican's '101 Projects for a Boxster' they detail how to do this.

They say that the only way to get the mileage correct is to send the cluster to a speedometer shop.

Last edited by Tcar; 07-30-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Tcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #9

Garage
I've read here that there is, but I didn't want to spend over $500. The only cluster I know of that works for 100% is the 986.641.233.00. I've seen others mentioned which did not have matrix display when I checked.

I also love the new cluster. My last Box was a '99 tip and I loved the cluster because the MPH guage was in the center. When I first drove the 01S I thought I'd get used to the orange bright washed out looking thing but I never did. This has been the easiest upgrade I've done so far.

Chaiyz
Old 07-30-2016, 11:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiyz View Post
OH, and by the way. I can confirm with 100% accuracy that with this display, you get outside temp even if the OBC is not turned on. I'll post a pic if you'd like.
That is because it is a later display version; your 2001 would not do that.
Old 07-30-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaiyz View Post
Strange to me but the milage must be stored inside the instrument cluster
It is stored in two places, the cluster and the DME.