Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 05:37 AM   #21
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I have a '99 5-speed and an '01 Tip. Aside from what has already been mentioned, I like the interior plastics finish of the '99 better than the soft, 'easy-scratch' finish of the '01. The '99 engines seem to be really holding up well. I don't feel the need to have an S, but I am watching for the right deal on a 2000.

I strongly agree with:
Quote:
97-99 is pure, raw, no frills boxster (base model). And they have the dual row ims ... My 99 loves to rev and be tossed around.
Quote:
99 last of raw boxters.
Quote:
Dual row IMS, center speedo, 18" wheels, upgraded chassis structure, no e-gas, better looking top (no center bow), excellent gas mileage, decent power, and raw feel.
Quote:
The S model cars only come out on occasion. I drive one of the '99's almost every day.
For an S:
Quote:
Dual row IMS. Digi speedo in center. Cable hood and trunk. 18" wheels OK. 3.2 + light weight. Fewer electronic driver nannies. Right spot in depreciation curve.

78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:02 AM   #22
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesp View Post
2003 S - updated engine, great 0 - 60 time, and I own one.
Me too . . 2003 S all the way
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:16 AM   #23

I'm going with my model - a base 2000, 2.7l, turn of the century - I believe they are supposed to have the least failures too - dual row IMS, worked out the kinks on cylinder cracks, have metal pressure pin on billet ims to crankshaft tensioner paddle, less likely than larger engines to break - have five shift.

Of course I'm not biased at all
Fyeganeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:22 AM   #24

2003 & 2004
Old 03-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #25

Garage
The early Boxsters. '97-'99 had the least amount of IMS failures of any model until 2006. From 2000-2005 had the most, some years as much as 10% according to the class action law suite.
As has been said here already the 97-99 Boxsters have a rawness to them that later Boxsters lack and, in my opinion, the 2.5L has the best exhaust note of any of them.
My vote is also for the '99 Boxster, the last of the body style closest to the concept car.
The only thing I would change would be adding a 2.7L Metzgar motor.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:57 AM   #26

I think its interesting when someone comes on the board and says they are thinking of buying a Boxster you often hear "get an 03 it has the glass window this is a must have etc etc" and with the exception of Bigjake no one has really mentioned it. I have an 01 so of course that is the year I am going to select as the best, but if I had to get another one I would prob go for an 03/04 as I think there is logic to believe the last production years are the best. And of course it has the glass top =)
Carlisabadman986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 11:34 AM   #27

Lots of interesting replies and thoughts. Yes, many simply vote based on their emotion, but cool to see some insights into the differences.

I'm a little sad no one has voted for the 02 model year.... :-(

Don't worry Kitten, daddy still loves you!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #28

I'd say 04 special edition. The last year is usually the best since most of the bugs are out and content is 'thrown in'. I dig the rarity of the special edition. I really don't like the 'lifetime' fuel filter of the 02 and newer. A completely stock 97 would be neat to hold onto.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #29

Garage
Pure bias, but some justification......'03 S

No amber, from the factory. There is a reason there are so many threads about de-ambering

Glove Box- contrary to Jake, this is a big deal. A place for my crap, and my gun (legal). I grew up with a '74 and it had a glovebox, why shouldn't my Boxster?

Glass rear window- No chop for me. Want to put the top down at a stoplight? No problem. Again, there is a reason so many people get the glass when getting a new roof.

S's increased power and brakes. I may never hit top speed, but I like the added power, and the ability to stop a bit better.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:19 PM   #30

Love all the attention the 97-99s are getting since I have a 98. Now I have to go drive an 03-04 S so I can appreciate the rawness and lack of options of the MK1 base.
bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:25 PM   #31
Need For Speed

Garage
2003 Boxster S

The Boxster S model is an even higher performance version of the Porsche Boxster. It has an exclusive 3.2-liter “boxer” six-cylinder engine, a standard six-speed manual ransmission, more athletic suspension tuning, an additional front air intake and a third radiator, standard 17-inch wheels and larger brakes. The exterior has distinctive titanium-colored trim and the interior features unique gauges and trim.

Like the Boxster, the Boxster S has been enhanced for the 2003 model year with a variety of significant new features. Changes in its VarioCam® variable valve timing technology and new Motronic ME 7.8 engine management software system enable the 3.2-liter “boxer” to generate an amazing 258 horsepower (SAE) at 6,200 rpm. The 2002 model provided 250 horsepower (SAE).

The torque rating is 229 lb.-ft., with a beefy torque curve that provides 85 percent of peak power at only 2,000 rpm, assuring the Boxster S of outstanding response even at low speeds.

To handle such power, the standard six-speed manual transmission has been upgraded with revisions to its single-plate drive clutch.

Thanks to its more powerful engine and revised transmission, the Boxster S accelerates from a standing start to 100 km/h (62 mph) in only 5.7 seconds, a figure that is two-tenths of a second quicker than the 2002 Boxster S. But even with such impressive power figures, fuel economy figures have improved.

Like the 2003 Boxster, the 2003 Boxster S has a new top with a glass window and a wider range of standard equipment. New front and rear fascia improve the appearance and the aerodynamic efficiency of the Boxster S. Along with its revised front and rear fascias, the Boxster S also has redesigned twin exhaust pipes.

The high-performance roadster also gets new rear stabilizer bars that are longer (19 mm vs. 18.5 last year) and thicker (2.7 mm vs. 2.5).

The car’s already amazing performance can be enhanced even more through the availability of new light-alloy wheels that reduce unsprung weight. The new standard 17-inch wheels reduce unsprung weight by more than half a pound at each corner. The new, optional 18-inch wheels cut nearly 24 pounds of unsprung weight from the vehicle, a remarkable 22 percent reduction that directly results in more responsive handling.

Also new for the 2003 model year are Porsche’s new Communication Management systems (PCM) that incorporates tuners, CD player, navigation system and trip computer, all connected to each other through the new Media-Oriented Systems Transport (MOST) digital databus.

The Boxster S continues to provide such safety technology as its patented crumple-zone body structure, inertia-reel three-point seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters, dual front airbags, door-mounted side airbags and anti-lock brakes. Boron steel tubing reinforcements around the windshield and supplemental safety bars behind the seats help provide protection in rollover accidents. The Porsche Stability Management (PSM) system is available as an option.

This unique combination of safety, performance and the additional new features for 2003 makes the Boxster S the ideal roadster for everyday driving by enthusiasts who want the ultimate edge in performance potential.

http://press.porsche.com/archive/products/models/models_2003/index.html
Old 03-23-2015, 01:44 PM   #32

Original S=2000 S.

3.2 L; dual row IMSB;
the M96 with the least recorded problems;
original body style;
no nannies except straight line traction control which you can actually turn off
huge brakes

Last edited by jaykay; 03-23-2015 at 01:51 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #33
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsman View Post
I'd say 04 special edition. The last year is usually the best since most of the bugs are out and content is 'thrown in'. I dig the rarity of the special edition. I really don't like the 'lifetime' fuel filter of the 02 and newer. A completely stock 97 would be neat to hold onto.
This.

Great car.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:41 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyeganeh View Post
I'm going with my model - a base 2000, 2.7l, turn of the century - I believe they are supposed to have the least failures too - dual row IMS, worked out the kinks on cylinder cracks, have metal pressure pin on billet ims to crankshaft tensioner paddle, less likely than larger engines to break - have five shift.

Of course I'm not biased at all
Like he said
2001 2.7 - dual row ims & pre-vvt (I think).
There is a quote somewhere from Jake Raby agreeing - so there
njbray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:58 AM   #35

2003 S Tiptronic

Good to read many folks favor a 2003 S, me too. We live in northern Arizona - the land of wonderful, nearly empty, high speed limit, excellent condition, two lane blacktop twisty back roads. If you ever visit our state, get off the highways and see the real Arizona.
Now to my real reason for joining in: I'm having the IMS quandary. Our Boxster has 30K miles, gets an oil change every 5K, and runs like a top. However; recently I have had a concern of the possibility of IMS failure. The more I read and research, the less I seem to be calmed. I've talked to the area LN engineering rep and he sez got to do it, while the Porsche Service Manager sez not to worry. Are there any stats/hard science relating to the probability of my single row IMS going south? What has been your experience?
Bubbles in AZ or maybe Befuddled in AZ
BubblesinAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:18 PM   #36

Garage
I posted this some time ago at the PCA Boxster register after speaking with the attorney who represented the plaintiffs in the class action law suit against Porsche regarding failed IMS bearings. My understanding is that the Tiptronics have had far fewer failures than sticks but no one has ever been able to explain the reason for that. Hope this helps you.
"This morning I had a conversation with Steven Harris, the attorney at Knapp, Peterson and Clark Law Firm, that represented the plaintiffs in the class action law suit against Porsche regarding the IMS bearing failures. The following information is FYI and is specific to the percentage of failures that were repaired by Porsche under warranty or good will claims. I have received permission to post the information and if you have any more questions regarding any other aspect of the suit please call 818-547-5100.
The law suit involves the years 2001-2005 both base and "S" models that have the single row IMS bearing.
The failure rate, that has been reported from warranty and goodwill repairs, for those model years ranges from 4%-10% and involves 57,000 vehicles in the United Sates only. The actual percentages for each model year are available but Mr. Harris did not have them available and I did not press him for more of his time to dig them up.
The highest percentage of vehicles affected were in California and again he did not have the exact percentage available or a reason for that.
The failure rate for the early Boxsters 97-2000 model years is less than 1% (.02-.04%) however the scope of the suit spans a 10 year period and vehicles up to 130K miles and is not entirely exclusive to 2001-2005 models. I did not get into this any further so I encourage individuals possibly affected to call for more clarification.
Please understand this information is specific to percentages and nothing else and is not being posted to create another debate about the IMS issue, spleen venting about after market fixes, or displeasure about the results of the suit. I've been curious about the percentages of failures that have been theorized on Boxster sites and wanted to get some specifics regarding them. Since my vehicle is not involved, has had the LN bearing installed and falls in the very lowest percentage of failure my curiosity is satisfied."

______

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesinAZ View Post
Good to read many folks favor a 2003 S, me too. We live in northern Arizona - the land of wonderful, nearly empty, high speed limit, excellent condition, two lane blacktop twisty back roads. If you ever visit our state, get off the highways and see the real Arizona.
Now to my real reason for joining in: I'm having the IMS quandary. Our Boxster has 30K miles, gets an oil change every 5K, and runs like a top. However; recently I have had a concern of the possibility of IMS failure. The more I read and research, the less I seem to be calmed. I've talked to the area LN engineering rep and he sez got to do it, while the Porsche Service Manager sez not to worry. Are there any stats/hard science relating to the probability of my single row IMS going south? What has been your experience?
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
I posted this some time ago at the PCA Boxster register after speaking with the attorney who represented the plaintiffs in the class action law suit against Porsche regarding failed IMS bearings. My understanding is that the Tiptronics have had far fewer failures than sticks but no one has ever been able to explain the reason for that. Hope this helps you.
"This morning I had a conversation with Steven Harris, the attorney at Knapp, Peterson and Clark Law Firm, that represented the plaintiffs in the class action law suit against Porsche regarding the IMS bearing failures. The following information is FYI and is specific to the percentage of failures that were repaired by Porsche under warranty or good will claims. I have received permission to post the information and if you have any more questions regarding any other aspect of the suit please call 818-547-5100.
The law suit involves the years 2001-2005 both base and "S" models that have the single row IMS bearing.
The failure rate, that has been reported from warranty and goodwill repairs, for those model years ranges from 4%-10% and involves 57,000 vehicles in the United Sates only. The actual percentages for each model year are available but Mr. Harris did not have them available and I did not press him for more of his time to dig them up.
The highest percentage of vehicles affected were in California and again he did not have the exact percentage available or a reason for that.
The failure rate for the early Boxsters 97-2000 model years is less than 1% (.02-.04%) however the scope of the suit spans a 10 year period and vehicles up to 130K miles and is not entirely exclusive to 2001-2005 models. I did not get into this any further so I encourage individuals possibly affected to call for more clarification.
Please understand this information is specific to percentages and nothing else and is not being posted to create another debate about the IMS issue, spleen venting about after market fixes, or displeasure about the results of the suit. I've been curious about the percentages of failures that have been theorized on Boxster sites and wanted to get some specifics regarding them. Since my vehicle is not involved, has had the LN bearing installed and falls in the very lowest percentage of failure my curiosity is satisfied."

______
Interesting how it says California cars had the highest percentage, which tends to go against the grain as most say cars that sit for prolonged periods are more prone. I would have assumed that cars in California where driven a lot more due to the nicer weather.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:25 PM   #38

2003 S

Sent from my iPhone5S using Tapatalk
jsmillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 02:38 PM   #39
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giller View Post
Interesting how it says California cars had the highest percentage, which tends to go against the grain as most say cars that sit for prolonged periods are more prone. I would have assumed that cars in California where driven a lot more due to the nicer weather.
Cost of living is high in California, people that can afford a Porsche there probably also have a Prius or similar to dive to work and the Boxster was their garage queen.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:49 PM   #40
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblesinAZ View Post
With that low of mileage I would get it done, but go with the IMS Solution from Flat6Innovation.