Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 07:54 AM   #121

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrot356 View Post
Not sure how it works in S Carolina, but don't forget to ask to be compensated for what it will cost for taxes and registration on the new car. Both are part of the buying process and need to be compensated for not just what you can find cars selling for in ads.
They give you the money back for the previous cars taxes and such and that goes towards the next one, Really the cars in the market are much higher then KBB or Edumunds, so i hope they go by what is selling in the area instead, but after they determine what they are selling for we still will not settle as my car has a glass top which is the main reason i bought this specific car and will be made whole so that i can buy another with a glass top or have the money to add one. As well as reimbursement for the loner car that i would have been driving if i was of age, and we will see if we can do anything about the other drivers "harrasment"

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 04:30 AM   #122
I am my own mechanic....

File a small claims suit for the harassment. Try to get it picked up by Judge Judy. She'll tell him!
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #123

Garage
Haha hopefully we will be moving forward by Tuesday, looking at market value and such, we may pass on parting out the car because we may get enough to be happy without.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Old 05-11-2014, 06:34 AM   #124

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
Haha hopefully we will be moving forward by Tuesday, looking at market value and such, we may pass on parting out the car because we may get enough to be happy without.

Before you officially pass on buying it back would you PM me the price - I would consider parting it out myself.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 06:38 AM   #125

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Before you officially pass on buying it back would you PM me the price - I would consider parting it out myself.
Sure, I would not mind doing that.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #126

Garage
Just an update, the liability is still not resloved, we mustered up a police report from a few friends but unless they can directly contact the cop they are trying for 80/20 liability. Essentially everyones worries about both parties having the same insurance being a problem may come true, other wise what is it to them over an 80/20 when in South Carolina the state pays back deductibles if the claims is anything over 50/50. The company sees an opportunity to have two 16 year olds take out claims therefore increasing our rates, in that case no one wins but the insurance company, we are not settling for this and will not accept anything other than the other party having 100 percent liability.

This is why monopolies are bad.
Old 05-12-2014, 02:06 PM   #127
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Just an update, the liability is still not resloved, we mustered up a police report from a few friends but unless they can directly contact the cop they are trying for 80/20 liability. Essentially everyones worries about both parties having the same insurance being a problem may come true, other wise what is it to them over an 80/20 when in South Carolina the state pays back deductibles if the claims is anything over 50/50. The company sees an opportunity to have two 16 year olds take out claims therefore increasing our rates, in that case no one wins but the insurance company, we are not settling for this and will not accept anything other than the other party having 100 percent liability.

This is why monopolies are bad.
Don't accept any liability as it was not your fault. Lawyer up and take them to court
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #128

High school parking lots are always a dangerous place for accidents. One reason I never parked on campus and glad that my daughter will be graduating in two weeks. Add to it the high school drama.

Good luck Big Jake on this situation and look forward to college. The number of idiots you are surrounded by will go down (but not completely away).
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:10 PM   #129

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
Don't accept any liability as it was not your fault. Lawyer up and take them to court

We are holding our ground as they have came to no conclusion yet, if they decide 80/20 is final we will contact an attorney. We plan to report the other individual for insurance fraud as he has lied on a recorded statement and depending on results from the insurance company we are considering reporting them as well, as they have attempted to rush us into putting a claim that they will "reimburse" if the other individual is found at fault.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #130

Garage
Finally resolved, other idividual is 100% at fault, now the insurance company calls us saying they are sending a 5k check, heck no haha, having the car towed for a proper appraisal today.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:33 PM   #131

Quote:
Finally resolved, other idividual is 100% at fault, now the insurance company calls us saying they are sending a 5k check, heck no haha, having the car towed for a proper appraisal today.

Start documenting comparables within a 200mile radius.
shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 02:04 PM   #132

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
Start documenting comparables within a 200mile radius.
already done a while back, but the 5k is not my cars value, it is how much they want to spend to fix my car, they claim 5k is half of what it is worth which i am pretty happy with them saying value is 10 to 11. however, i am not wanting to deal with depreciation and such of having a car fixed with this much damage, sending it to a shop that works with porsches and such often and will properly appraise the car, then hopefully it will be totalled.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:44 PM   #133
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
already done a while back, but the 5k is not my cars value, it is how much they want to spend to fix my car, they claim 5k is half of what it is worth which i am pretty happy with them saying value is 10 to 11. however, i am not wanting to deal with depreciation and such of having a car fixed with this much damage, sending it to a shop that works with porsches and such often and will properly appraise the car, then hopefully it will be totalled.
Tell them the $5k is for the wheels, tires and top. What about the rest of the car?.

They are low balling you, probably based on wholesale blue book. They need to give you full replacement cost and on top of that you should get compensated for loss of use as well as the hassle you have gone through. Generally they should give you a grand or two over replacement cost. Remember replacement cost is what another Boxster comparable to what you lost costs, not book value.

If you had been at fault, the ins company might have to only give you book value, but since. You were not at fault, it is different.

Also be sure you don't sign anything absolving the other party of liability until you are made completely whole. You can always take the other party to small claims for the amount over what the ins company finally gives you to replace your boxster with a comparable one
Old 05-15-2014, 04:04 AM   #134
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Tell them the $5k is for the wheels, tires and top. What about the rest of the car?.

They are low balling you, probably based on wholesale blue book. They need to give you full replacement cost and on top of that you should get compensated for loss of use as well as the hassle you have gone through. Generally they should give you a grand or two over replacement cost. Remember replacement cost is what another Boxster comparable to what you lost costs, not book value.

If you had been at fault, the ins company might have to only give you book value, but since. You were not at fault, it is different.

Also be sure you don't sign anything absolving the other party of liability until you are made completely whole. You can always take the other party to small claims for the amount over what the ins company finally gives you to replace your boxster with a comparable one
Full replacement compensation is a special type of policy. Otherwise it's BB value and comps. He is definitely being low balled and it's disgusting.

You are owed BB plus any other losses or comp value (comp value includes performance mods) or dime for dime what the exact repair costs. If they don't want to pay top BB value due to new top and such, and they are not even asking what the ACTUAL repair estimate is, attorney time. Ask them where in the hell they came up with half of the total value as the repair cost!! I've never seen a body shop say gee, let's just say half of the car's cost. There's going to be a real number associated with fenders, door, paint, rim, BB value loss for a collision being listed on Carfax and more. Ask them what, is this a game show ?? Am I speaking to Monty Hall????

Last edited by Timco; 05-15-2014 at 04:07 AM.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:18 AM   #135
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
Full replacement compensation is a special type of policy. Otherwise it's BB value and comps. He is definitely being low balled and it's disgusting.

You are allowed BB plus any other losses or comp value (comp value includes performance mods) or dime for dime what the exact repair costs. If they don't want to pay top BB value due to new top and such, and they are not even asking what the ACTUAL repair estimate is, attorney time. Ask them where in the hell they came up with half of the total value as the repair cost!! I've never seen a body shop say gee, let's just say half of the car's cost. There's going to be a real number associated with fenders, door, paint, rim, BB value loss for a collision being listed on Carfax and more. Ask them what, is this a game show ?? Am I speaking to Monty Hall????
With all due respect Timco, since the other party is 100% liable, Jake does get replacement cost. He has suffered a loss that was not his fault and should be made whole. Perhaps outside of Calif it is different, but I suspect not.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:30 AM   #136

Quote:
With all due respect Timco, since the other party is 100% liable, Jake does get replacement cost. He has suffered a loss that was not his fault and should be made whole. Perhaps outside of Calif it is different, but I suspect not.
^^^^This

I covered it in the other thread and Jay has it here. There is no legal president for an individual to accept an arbitrary general calculation in a liability situation. "Special" policies that pay replacement cost are for "collision" claims. This is liability. and that means the innocent party is made whole... as in as good as he was was before...not "close enough"... not my arbitrary NADA calculation says this so here you go... not any of that. Jake should get the replacement value of the car plus any expenses he incurred as a result of the accident.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #137
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadrach74 View Post
^^^^This

I covered it in the other thread and Jay has it here. There is no legal president for an individual to accept an arbitrary general calculation in a liability situation. "Special" policies that pay replacement cost are for "collision" claims. This is liability. and that means the innocent party is made whole... as in as good as he was was before...not "close enough"... not my arbitrary NADA calculation says this so here you go... not any of that. Jake should get the replacement value of the car plus any expenses he incurred as a result of the accident.
I can understand this. I've never had a car totaled and was backed into one time.

So who decides if it gets fixed for $6k (hypothetically) or replaced for $12k? Not sure you can insist it be totaled?
Old 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #138

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
I can understand this. I've never had a car totaled and was backed into one time.

So who decides if it gets fixed for $6k (hypothetically) or replaced for $12k? Not sure you can insist it be totaled?
In south carolina, repairs exceed 75% of the value, apparently the insurance company wants my car to be worth 10 when its not totaled but watch once it is they will be saying my car is worth 7 haha.
Old 05-15-2014, 05:46 PM   #139

Quote:
In south carolina, repairs exceed 75% of the value, apparently the insurance company wants my car to be worth 10 when its not totaled but watch once it is they will be saying my car is worth 7 haha.
Many companies use 50% if there's a chance of hidden damage. Insurance companies do not like to pay for exploratory surgery, nor do they like to start a repair only to discover hidden damage that jacks the price another 20 percent (which is easy with a $10000 Porsche).
Old 05-21-2014, 01:00 PM   #140

Garage
Here you go Jake your "S" summer project kit! Lots of assembley required.
You can install your engine in it along with a E-gas T/B until you get a 3.2.