Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 12:23 PM   #41

Garage
As long as the police report puts him at fault, the insurance company won't bat an eye, and that's all that matters.

jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
So the real pain here is going back to school the next day with someone who claims that an accident was your fault and not the others like the police report claims, from what I have heard today I was speeding at like 60mphs, cutting trough the lot, had someone in the car, was on the phone, under the influence (wtf) and I perposly ran into him, he was already in the lane, according to most people my car was "hardly damaged, a bolt came out, may need a new door." While his precious bronco (not the collectible ones) had the front in tore to shreds. Well you can see by the pictures and the police report and the simple fact that my airbags didn't deploy to prove who is wrong and who is right about this but I am tired of hearing the ********************. Shall I add what his mother did when I went to shake her hand after the accident happened, she put her hands behind her back like a 2 year old and reluctantly decided to shake my hands.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
If your story is straight, get witnesses then, I hate to say it, think about getting a lawyer. From the sound of the other party and their family's reaction I doubt this will be a walk in the park.

Like others, I had a situation several years ago where a car was totaled and the other party was cited (kid had his license for all of 4 days, on cell phone and pulled out directly in front of me) and obviously at fault yet their insurance company fought me on everything tooth and nail. Yes I did subrogate but it did not really help, and yes I was more than reasonable. I've never sued anyone and am not the suing type but in retrospect I should of lawyered up, being a Mr. Nice guy definitely cost me.

Last edited by coreseller; 05-06-2014 at 12:40 PM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:49 PM   #43

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
If your story is straight, get witnesses then, I hate to say it, think about getting a lawyer. From the sound of the other party and their family's reaction I doubt this will be a walk in the park.

Like others, I had a situation several years ago where a car was totaled and the other party was cited (kid had his license for all of 4 days, on cell phone and pulled out directly in front of me) and obviously at fault yet their insurance company fought me on everything tooth and nail. Yes I did subrogate but it did not really help, and yes I was more than reasonable. I've never sued anyone and am not the suing type but in retrospect I should of lawyered up, being a Mr. Nice guy definitely cost me.

Because it was on private property there was no traffic citation so to my knowledge it is non negotiable and as the officer said himself idk if you were on your phone or not (I wasn't) but regardless you had right of way and he did not yield to that he is at fault.

BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 12:52 PM   #44

Garage
So can anyone in depth explain buying back the car if it is totaled. (expecting that it is) how much would it be, would it be worth the money to then sell the mechanically fine engine to jake r. for a bit of profit and use the rest for parts for me and sell things out to members here. Or to even buy back the car, sell it salvage title to someone here that may want a blank canvas for a spec racer cheap as the mechanicals are fine.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Because it was on private property there was no traffic citation so to my knowledge it is non negotiable and as the officer said himself idk if you were on your phone or not (I wasn't) but regardless you had right of way and he did not yield to that he is at fault.

Make sure you get the police report stating such, Good Luck Jake.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #46

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller View Post
Make sure you get the police report stating such, Good Luck Jake.
It is on hand as well as many photos of the untouched scene on my computer involving the damage to my car and his.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #47

Garage
And thanks to everyone for the concerns, I have always been interested in either business or law, maybe ill get my hands a bit dirty with each here and make a decision on which to go into.

Old 05-06-2014, 01:12 PM   #48
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
So the real pain here is going back to school the next day with someone who claims that an accident was your fault and not the others like the police report claims, from what I have heard today I was speeding at like 60mphs, cutting trough the lot, had someone in the car, was on the phone, under the influence (wtf) and I perposly ran into him, he was already in the lane, according to most people my car was "hardly damaged, a bolt came out, may need a new door." While his precious bronco (not the collectible ones) had the front in tore to shreds. Well you can see by the pictures and the police report and the simple fact that my airbags didn't deploy to prove who is wrong and who is right about this but I am tired of hearing the ********************. Shall I add what his mother did when I went to shake her hand after the accident happened, she put her hands behind her back like a 2 year old and reluctantly decided to shake my hands.

So let me get this straight. You get out of class, pick up his girl, down a 6-pack or smoke some weed, turn off PSM, start pulling some Jim Rockfords in the student lot, take off in a straight 60mph+ run, purposely clip the front of his Bronco II with your Porsche just to rub in the fact his girl wants the guy in the Porsche, and now it's his fault?? Man, that's low.

(That's what I heard in the hall after 3rd period History, anyway.....)
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 01:23 PM   #49

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
So let me get this straight. You get out of class, pick up his girl, down a 6-pack or smoke some weed, turn off PSM, start pulling some Jim Rockfords in the student lot, take off in a straight 60mph+ run, purposely clip the front of his Bronco II with your Porsche just to rub in the fact his girl wants the guy in the Porsche, and now it's his fault?? Man, that's low.

(That's what I heard in the hall after 3rd period History, anyway.....)
You left out that i flashed the cop, moved my car, hid evidence, and my vehicle was virtually unscathed .
Old 05-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #50

Garage
Check your insurance company - their is usually a percentage listed for buying back the totaled vehicle. Then walk around it and look at the parts that are good - find out how much each good part is worth. Figure out if you want a quick sale or slow one to determine what you will ask. Total the numbers. Figure out how much your time is worth to pull, pack and ship parts.
BFeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 02:38 PM   #51

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Check your insurance company - their is usually a percentage listed for buying back the totaled vehicle. Then walk around it and look at the parts that are good - find out how much each good part is worth. Figure out if you want a quick sale or slow one to determine what you will ask. Total the numbers. Figure out how much your time is worth to pull, pack and ship parts.
I have all summer before I *Need* to purchase a new, car, but the left side of the car is in good shape as well as hood, interior, possibly glass top, and engine.
Old 05-06-2014, 02:46 PM   #52

Garage
Any ballparks on what salvage value may be? I feel it would need to be less than 2k to make it worth the hassle.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:05 PM   #53

Wow that door made me cringe. That sux but hoping for the best for you.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:14 PM   #54

Garage
For anyones curiosity and if anyone is out their looking at buying one of these cars, the impact did not at all enter the cockpit, and the vehicle entirely absorbed the force of the impact, i hardly felt the impact aside from the whole car rearing up and off of the ground and later realizing i could see the ground past my car door. Point is these are very safe cars for their size and caliber. I am very pleased with the fact that while it would've been a scary experiences for a passenger if one was riding with me but i am able to sleep better at night knowing if someone was they would be entirely safe.
Old 05-06-2014, 05:43 PM   #55

Quote:
For anyones curiosity and if anyone is out their looking at buying one of these cars, the impact did not at all enter the cockpit, and the vehicle entirely absorbed the force of the impact, i hardly felt the impact aside from the whole car rearing up and off of the ground and later realizing i could see the ground past my car door. Point is these are very safe cars for their size and caliber. I am very pleased with the fact that while it would've been a scary experiences for a passenger if one was riding with me but i am able to sleep better at night knowing if someone was they would be entirely safe.
seriously? you were moving slowly through parking lot... let's see what happens at a 70mph + impact.

:troll:

hoping for the best for you B_J, but the fact is nobody here knows what happened in that parking lot. It's really wonderful that everyone on our boxster forum is giving you the benefit of the doubt, I wouldn't expect any less.

As far as I know you could have been trying to accelerate past him to show your car off a little. who knows?

I'm hoping it turns out you weren't acting irresponsibly. good luck bro
Old 05-06-2014, 06:02 PM   #56

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post
seriously? you were moving slowly through parking lot... let's see what happens at a 70mph + impact.

hoping for the best for you B_J, but the fact is nobody here knows what happened in that parking lot. It's really wonderful that everyone on our boxster forum is giving you the benefit of the doubt, I wouldn't expect any less.

As far as I know you could have been trying to accelerate past him to show your car off a little. who knows?

Yeah i get the joys of riding a bus with the kid to an off campus learing center for carrer training where some of our classes are at ( I take buisness, ironically i think the kid is in auto repair) But i am already packing a recording device for tomorrow to catch anything that comes out of this kids mouth :ah: It is a shame respect can not get you far in life, i had not even mentioned the other kids name when asked about the accident saying it was likely an honest mistake and that the other party was at fault and leave it at that, and i will remain quiet and respectful but i will be bringing a recording device along on this bus tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2014, 07:05 PM   #57
Multi-Boxer Driver

Garage
Quote:
Yeah i get the joys of riding a bus with the kid to an off campus learing center for carrer training where some of our classes are at ( I take buisness, ironically i think the kid is in auto repair) But i am already packing a recording device for tomorrow to catch anything that comes out of this kids mouth :ah: It is a shame respect can not get you far in life, i had not even mentioned the other kids name when asked about the accident saying it was likely an honest mistake and that the other party was at fault and leave it at that, and i will remain quiet and respectful but i will be bringing a recording device along on this bus tomorrow.
Best check to see if your state is single consent or dual consent before you fire up that voice recorder. Otherwise it could land you in some fiery water.
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Deserion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #58
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawleyD View Post

Timco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 08:13 PM   #59

damn. that silver one looks like it had to be pried off of a light pole.

that doesn't happen going <20mph in a parking lot.
Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timco View Post
for sale: porsche boxster. rare one-seater. needs alignment. as-is. think "james dean"-style. $3500 or best offer.