Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #1

Does anyone know which is the vss wire on an 02 with Bose?

I think it is the grey/pink wire on the factory harness, but not sure.

Now that I got some sleep, I'll add that I am doing a double dinn install on my turbo. When I did this on my boxster I thought I found, it but I can't remember. It appears to be on the black harness that has empty pin outs, but not sure. Any help would be appreciated. The toughest part of this install was relocating the ac module from top to bottom. I can't even begin to say how much of a pain in the a$$ that was. The factory had already done that on my boxster. The avic x950 is a lot better than the 940, but the wiring harness is a huge bundle.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 03-23-2014 at 06:05 AM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 06:15 AM   #2

I'm in the process of installing a double DIN unit on my 2000 without Bose. Based on what I've been able to find, the VSS is on the Black connector with the battery, antenna control, illumination , switched power and ground. It is on the outside edge of the connector on a diagonal to the battery constant wire.

If you are using the Euro Motor Speed kit, it is in position 1 on the bottom half of the Black Harness Adapter. You can see in the attached picture how I moved one of the speaker wires that I will not be using to serve as the VSS hook up. (It is the green wire with the white label attached.)

I used this as my reference: Pelican Technical Article: Changing Your Boxster Stereo Head Unit / Installing Boxster Ipod Integration - 986 / 987

I have not finished my installation, so I have not tested it.
Attached Images

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #3

Did you cut any unused harnesses it seemed much easier to stuff the 940bt harness into my boxster than to stuff the 950bh harness into my TT. I have to open her back up to un ground the alarm wire to the radio chassis as my car beeps when I lock it and to install the iPod cable when it comes in.

One thing I did do that was very easy (that I hadn't done on my boxster) was to install the nav antenna in the factory spot. It's very easy and I didn't even break the clips of the cover removing it. I just need to dremel a little piece of plastic to allow the cable to go through. The trim removal tools from harbor freight are nice to have to remove trim.

Last edited by Ckrikos; 03-23-2014 at 09:09 AM.
Ckrikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 AM   #4

I'll probably be installing the unit in the car next weekend. So I haven't arrived at the point where I need to fit the harness. I'm thinking of soldering the wires between the AVIC harnesses and the Euromotor Speed kit. That may cut down on some of the bulk in the harness versus using bullet connectors.

I installed a single DIN Traffic Pro navigation unit a few years ago, and I was able to fit the navigation antenna in the factory spot. I'm hoping that the connector from the Traffic Pro antenna fits and works in the Pioneer unit. I'm not looking forward to doing it again.

I'm installing a back up camera, so I have quite a bit of work ahead of me to run the cable for that. I also have to relocate the HVAC controls to a lower spot. I take my time when I work, so it may require more than a day.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 AM   #5

I read that you need to pull the hvac harness out from the passenger side, but that was impossible. I ran it down the drivers side and got it to work but its very tight. I wrapped it in a plastic wire tube to protect it from some sharp edges on the lower console given how tight it was. Otherwise it turned out well.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckrikos View Post
I read that you need to pull the hvac harness out from the passenger side, but that was impossible. I ran it down the drivers side and got it to work but its very tight. I wrapped it in a plastic wire tube to protect it from some sharp edges on the lower console given how tight it was. Otherwise it turned out well.
That is what I heard too. I will keep in mind that I may need to try the driver's side.

My technique for performing DIY projects on the Boxster is to read everything I can, take notes and plan each step before starting the job. I've also learned to walk away for a few minutes when something isn't going right. There seem to be several places where this will get difficult. I'll probably need to meditate before I start this job so that I don't get frustrated and break something by using too much force.

I've been collecting bookmarks to all the posts where people have done a double-DIN installation. I'll add your tip on the HVAC to my collection.
Old 03-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #7

Garage
back up camera

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
I'll probably be installing the unit in the car next weekend. So I haven't arrived at the point where I need to fit the harness. I'm thinking of soldering the wires between the AVIC harnesses and the Euromotor Speed kit. That may cut down on some of the bulk in the harness versus using bullet connectors.

I installed a single DIN Traffic Pro navigation unit a few years ago, and I was able to fit the navigation antenna in the factory spot. I'm hoping that the connector from the Traffic Pro antenna fits and works in the Pioneer unit. I'm not looking forward to doing it again.

I'm installing a back up camera, so I have quite a bit of work ahead of me to run the cable for that. I also have to relocate the HVAC controls to a lower spot. I take my time when I work, so it may require more than a day.
I'm getting ready to install a camera in my '01. where did you connect the reverse gear signal to the head unit? in my truck I had run a wire all the way to the reverse lamps, hoping to avoid that here.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 05:34 PM   #8

According to this post: Reverse Signal Wire Hook Up - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

There should be a wire in the bundle under the driver's seat with a black wire with a blue stripe. It is not hooked up to anything and should have a black plastic cap on the end.

I'll be looking for it this weekend and send you a picture if I find it.
Old 03-28-2014, 07:58 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH1990 View Post
According to this post: Reverse Signal Wire Hook Up - 986 Series (Boxster, Boxster S) - RennTech.org Forums

There should be a wire in the bundle under the driver's seat with a black wire with a blue stripe. It is not hooked up to anything and should have a black plastic cap on the end.

I'll be looking for it this weekend and send you a picture if I find it.
Good info. I have mine pulled half apart now trying to figure out how to run the video wire from the camera in the rear up to the head unit. almost wish I had gotten the wireless camera now.

I took a peek under the seat and saw the wires, couldn't ID the one you mentioned though. I'll pull the seat out tomorrow to get a better look, hopefully find a route to to rear camera as well.

Good luck on your project.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:56 PM   #10

Here are two posts for wiring the rear camera:

DIY Rear Camera Wiring Route

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/41978-how-rear-camera-install.html

I'm not 100% sure which one I'm going to use. I think the best way is through the door sill under the trunk releases.

Let me know how you are doing.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:11 AM   #11

You are so right about stopping and taking a break when things aren't going your way in a DYI project. I usually get angry and begin to break things.
Old 03-29-2014, 07:28 AM   #12

Garage
I couldn't find the reverse wire under the seat. probably varies by year and model. I am sure their was a reverse wire somewhere in the bundle, but since i have to run the video wire anyway I didn't waste time looking for it.

was able to snake a wire puller through with that wire bundle, came out by the drivers side (US) rear lights. pulling back through was surprisingly easy. now to hook up to the stereo and test.

Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #13

HVAC Relocation Tip

I've only been able to spend a few hours on the project in the last few weeks.

Here's a picture of the new unit with the wiring harness attached:

I tested the unit on the bench using a power supply from a personal computer. I also tested it in the car - everything is working.

I started taking the car apart on Friday. I found that relocating the HVAC controls was made easier by removing this air duct from the ventilation system:

It runs between the center console and the passenger air vent at the side of the dash next to the door. To see the duct, you need to remove the foam panel below the dash and above the passenger foot well. There are two fasteners that you have to unscrew

The duct has a bellows-like section in the middle. By compressing it you can remove it from the two connection. Watch how you take it off so that you remember how to align it when you put it back on.

With the air duct out of the way, there is more room to route the cables for the HVAC controls down the passenger side of the dash. Here's a picture with the duct out of the way:

You need to gently massage the wires down from the upper dash and through the opening in the middle of the center console. It's a little difficult to photograph, but when the cars apart a little bit of study will show you the best route. Here's a look at the connectors before I installed the control:

I plan to route the GPS antenna after work tomorrow and then remove the seat to find the reverse wire.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:55 AM   #14

Found the Reverse Signal Wire

Here's a picture of the elusive reverse signal wire showing its general location.

Name:  DSC04720-Comp.jpg
Views: 2053
Size:  91.5 KB

Here's a close up showing the blue stripe on the black wire and the black plastic cap on the end.

Name:  DSC04723 Comp.jpg
Views: 2071
Size:  73.7 KB

I have finished most of my project, I'm still trying to run the back up camera wire into the rear trunk. I'm trying to use Kiyakubuke's method, but so far I haven't been able to work the fish tape through.

Here's a shot of the unit in the dash. I'll take some more pictures when I'm finished.

Name:  DSC04729 Comp.jpg
Views: 2015
Size:  89.8 KB
Old 04-27-2014, 09:33 PM   #15

Finished my double din and rear camera installation project

I could not fish the wire through like kiyakubuke. I decided to run it around the carpet on top on the engine compartment and through an opening next to the end of the foam tray. Facing the front of the car, the opening is to the right of the foam tray and to the left of the center brake light.

I removed the carpet from inside the trunk and ran the wire into the rear bumper through this grommet:

This picture is taken from inside the rear trunk facing towards the rear of the car. This grommet is for feeding the driver's side license plate light wiring. I did not have to remove the spoiler to feed the wire through the grommet. My camera cable is the thicker black cable that can be seen between the red and brown wires.

The camera I used has a thin connector that is easier to fish through a small opening:

So I did not have to push something like an RCA plug through the opening. There was already a hole behind my license plate, so I did not have to drill into the bumper.

Here's how the camera looks mounted:

This is the camera that I used:

The image is sharp and it takes care of the blind spot. I'll take some photos showing the camera image and add them later.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 04-27-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM   #16

Garage
looks good, I like the license plate mount.

here's how mine ended up. had to drill a hole and put in screws.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:59 PM   #17

Here's a picture of the unit installed:

Here's the "splash screen":

Here's a view of the back up camera in action:

I may need to adjust the camera so that it is pointing slightly more upward. My head unit permits the rear camera to operate in navigation mode. I'm looking forward to trying that out in the daylight. I'm not sure whether I'm going to keep the parking guide on or not.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #18

Garage
Looks good. is that an AppRadio? I have one in my pathfinder, got the Parrot this time because it had it's own Apps (don't have to plug in the phone) and it has really good BT. but the backup camera function is not nearly as good as the Pioneer. Takes the unit a bit to boot up and even booted it sometimes takes a few seconds to activate the camera. the Pioneer was alway instant.
As a programer myself, I understand that with all the added functionality of these new units, it takes a more complex OS and therefore longer to boot. (sometimes out of my driveway before the music starts playing), I'm just not sure why they don't use the smart phone/tablet approach. don't shut the unit completely down, put it in sleep mode. an iPad can last for over a week on it's little battery in sleep mode, surely this would not be a problem for a car battery.
Old 04-29-2014, 04:01 PM   #19

Yes - It is an Avic Z140 BH:

AVIC-Z140BH - Flagship In-Dash Navigation AV Receiver with 7" WVGA Touchscreen Display, Built-In Bluetooth®, HD Radio™ Tuner, and Advanced App Mode for iPhone® 4/4S | Pioneer Electronics USA

Here's a video on using the app mode: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bgaY7PMx9vk

At this time, I don't have an iPhone, but I may buy one in the future. It's nice to have the option to use the App Mode.

I found a factory refurbished unit for around $500. I was originally planning to use a Kenwood DNX7140 that I bought used on Ebay, but it had a defective navigation board and I returned it to the seller. Even though switching to the Avic increased my project cost, I think I will be happier with the Z140BH in the long run.

The radio starts playing as soon as I turn the car on and the camera switches on immediately after I put the car in reverse. There is a lag before I can change the radio station or switch to another audio source, but that only lasts for about as long as it takes for me to back the car out of the garage.

Last edited by KevinH1990; 04-29-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #20

Garage
nice

yeah, that is way nicer than the the AppRadio2 I have in my pathfinder. it is a decent unit, responsive and well made. my biggest grip was having to plug in my phone to use apps. mainly the Navigation. have to wait for the unit to boot, connect the phone, wait for it to see the phone, click "ok to connect" on the phone (apparently there is no way to set it do always accept), then go into apps, launch the navigation etc... if it had it's own Navigation like that one does it would be a lot nicer.
To be honest, I never really used any of the other apps for it. it was much easier just to use them on the phone. the other thing I was annoyed with on the AppRadio was you could not stream music via BT from your phone. you could do Pandora, but you had to connect the phone.
The Pioneers have excellent BT though. I have had several and never had an issue. Seems like they are really improving things with these newer ones.

I have to say I am really pleased with the Parrot Asteroid Smart. the interface is nice, tons of features, I love the fact that you can have the apps on the unit and not have to connect the phone. I love the Waze Navigation app, so I use it. the Smart connects to my phone via BT to use my phones internet (have to have hotspot enabled on your phone) and it uses that for real time traffic etc...
It has some really cool features like voice music search. I can say, "play stevie ray vaughn" and it will find any matches on any connected sources. iPhone via BT, usb drive, SD card etc... does a really good job on voice search for making calls too. My wife's name is Davanh (pronounced Da-wan). the Smart is the only device that ever sort that out. not even Siri could do it properly.
the things I don't like about it is of course the slow boot times, although apparently they are going to enable user controlled sleep mode timeouts so that, if you want, you can tell it to stay in sleep mode for X hours before turning off completely. currently it does 30 minutes. so if I run into the store and come back out it books almost instantly, but over 30 minutes it does a cold boot.
other thing is the lack of physical buttons. there is a bug currently that if you are using waze, you can't change the volume unless you navigate to another screen.
However, if you are in a "music" screen (radio etc..) you can adjust the volume by just swiping up or down on the screen, mute it by tapping the screen.

to bad we can't combine the best features from both units to make a really awesome unit.

By the way, if you don't use the Porsche CD storage tray, they make a really nice little cubby hole to replace it. The Parrot doesn't have a CD player, so I got one from a company called Euro Motorsports out of FL. they have an ebay store.