View Single Post
Old 04-29-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
kiyakubuke

Garage
nice

yeah, that is way nicer than the the AppRadio2 I have in my pathfinder. it is a decent unit, responsive and well made. my biggest grip was having to plug in my phone to use apps. mainly the Navigation. have to wait for the unit to boot, connect the phone, wait for it to see the phone, click "ok to connect" on the phone (apparently there is no way to set it do always accept), then go into apps, launch the navigation etc... if it had it's own Navigation like that one does it would be a lot nicer.
To be honest, I never really used any of the other apps for it. it was much easier just to use them on the phone. the other thing I was annoyed with on the AppRadio was you could not stream music via BT from your phone. you could do Pandora, but you had to connect the phone.
The Pioneers have excellent BT though. I have had several and never had an issue. Seems like they are really improving things with these newer ones.

I have to say I am really pleased with the Parrot Asteroid Smart. the interface is nice, tons of features, I love the fact that you can have the apps on the unit and not have to connect the phone. I love the Waze Navigation app, so I use it. the Smart connects to my phone via BT to use my phones internet (have to have hotspot enabled on your phone) and it uses that for real time traffic etc...
It has some really cool features like voice music search. I can say, "play stevie ray vaughn" and it will find any matches on any connected sources. iPhone via BT, usb drive, SD card etc... does a really good job on voice search for making calls too. My wife's name is Davanh (pronounced Da-wan). the Smart is the only device that ever sort that out. not even Siri could do it properly.
the things I don't like about it is of course the slow boot times, although apparently they are going to enable user controlled sleep mode timeouts so that, if you want, you can tell it to stay in sleep mode for X hours before turning off completely. currently it does 30 minutes. so if I run into the store and come back out it books almost instantly, but over 30 minutes it does a cold boot.
other thing is the lack of physical buttons. there is a bug currently that if you are using waze, you can't change the volume unless you navigate to another screen.
However, if you are in a "music" screen (radio etc..) you can adjust the volume by just swiping up or down on the screen, mute it by tapping the screen.

to bad we can't combine the best features from both units to make a really awesome unit.

By the way, if you don't use the Porsche CD storage tray, they make a really nice little cubby hole to replace it. The Parrot doesn't have a CD player, so I got one from a company called Euro Motorsports out of FL. they have an ebay store.
kiyakubuke is offline   Reply With Quote