Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #1

How-To: Rear camera install

For those of you looking to install a rear view camera here's how I did mine in three stages (radio install, inerior, trunk):

1. Install radio (based on previous postings). Stage 1.
  2. Remove the center console. Stage 2.
  3. Remove the engine compartment carpet.
  4. Remove the screw in the rear sidewall carpet from the passenger side (you can remove it if you want instead) and lift it up.
  5. Route the camera wire & reverse wire from your DD unit under the are for the center console.
  6. Router the camera wire & reverse wire under the edge of the carpet exposed by the center console and engine compartment carpet removal. I used a thin wedge of plastic to push the wire under the endge.
  7. Replace the center console.
  8. Continue routing the camera wire & reverse wire under the edge of the engine compart carpet and then under the rear sidewal carpet until it enters the area of the engine compartment.
  9. Replace the engine compartment carpet and push the sidewall carpet back to its install location and replace all screws/plastic covers.
  10. Remove the trunk carpet. Stage 3.
  11. Route the camera wire & reverse wire under the exposed plastic heat shield to the rear of the engine compartment area. Just to the left of the center mounted black cover (not sure what to call it right now) is an open area that enters in to the trunk area. Route the camera wire & reverse wire through it into the trunk.
  12. Remove the spoiler. Remove the spoiler actuator and put aside. Under the drivers side of the spoiler actuator is a plug for the license plate light. Remove it.
  13. Remove the license plate.
  14. Using a coat hanger with a U bent in to it pull the camera wires formt he camera through the license plate hole past the hole for the license plate light. Cut a small slice in the grommet and pull the wires through it.
  15. Attach the reverse wire to teh passenger side reverse light.
  16. Attach the camera unit power to the Red/Blue wire in the X-59 plug left of the DME.
  17. Attach the camera negative wire to the ground just above the X-59 plug.
  18. Connect the remaining camera wires (if any) to the camera control unit.
  19. Mount the camera control unit to the left of the water tank against the sheet metal.
  20. Replace the spolier actuator, spoiler, license plate, & camera.

The camera I used was a Boyo VTL420SR Bartype HD CCD Camera with Two Sensors and Nightvision purcahsed at Amazon. My DD is a Kenwood DNX9980HD. So far, it is workign well, but I do need to modify the security style bolts I bought (we've had a rash of license plate thefts) to fit in the exposed camera mounting holes better.

It was too dark and I had insufficient time for pictures, but if anyone feels the need let me know and I'll see if I can get some of the troublesome areas snapped and inserted in to the relavent areas.

Old 01-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #2

Great timing on the post. I have a Boyo VTL375 being delivered Monday. I printed out your instructions for my install.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #3

Glad I could help. I didn't find a simple set of instructions, so after searching via google decided to post my final solution. If you have a question when it comes time to install yours let me know and I'll do what I can to help.

As a final FYI I'm uisng some JB Weld now to secure two nuts to the back of the license plate frame. Mostly because I am using security bolts to hold it together, but also because the stock screws are not long enough to use to secure the camera and license plate (not to mention the frame I removed). You may need to do something similar. Particulalry since the camera has hex recesses for the bolts. There is actually no way to use the camera with the stock bolts ont he rear license plate holder since you can't get to the rear of the license plate frame.

Of course you could drill two holes through your license plate so you could get to the license plate frame screws. That would make it easy to install and remove, but it might cause some issues with the local DMV too. For me, it would have just made it too easy to steal the license plate.

The screws I bought were from autozone and are Bell Anti-Theft bolts part number 45915-8. They look like this ...
Old 01-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #4

Great thanks.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:29 AM   #5
Homeboy981

Garage
Talking

Also, you can split the signal on the backup camera and use it as a separate "Line In", IF your head unit supports it. Mine does and I can watch as pickups try to keep up with me in the turns…haha! Is that wrong? I dunno, but it sure IS FUN!

So you can have your camera turn on when you go into reverse, which is a HUGE SAFETY mod in these cars AND have a Line In that is ALWAYS there, for recording or just fun watching!

Gives a whole new meaning to "See Ya!" on the spoiler!

See YA!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:25 PM   #6

For those with an interest, here's how the DD console looks when I finished ...

Here's what the rear camera looks like ...

I should note that this is an advanced replacement camera (meaning I paid up fron to get it shipped before my return). While it should have the green/red lines and the dispaly for how close you are to an object ... it is not working on the repalcement camera. But I liked it better this way so didn't return it again. I should also note that occasionally the image flips upside down. I think it is an issue with the camera and not the head unit.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #7

I also have a camera that I need to install. I may route it through To the trunk and then have my shop that will be doing my imsb route it through the engine compartment to the cabin.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:02 PM   #8

Once the center console is out, the routing of the wires is pretty easy. Aknowles put together a good DIY.

I used a license plate frame camera (Boyo VTL375 Ultra Slim Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera). If you don't know what you're looking at, you would never realize it's a camera.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I used a license plate frame camera (Boyo VTL375 Ultra Slim Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera). If you don't know what you're looking at, you would never realize it's a camera.
I almost bought that one, but thought the backup sensors would be a good idea. Little did I know.

Out of curiousity, does your image flip upside down at times? I'm trying to figure out if it is the camera or head unit. Since I replaced my camera it still flips, but much much less often.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKnowles View Post
Out of curiousity, does your image flip upside down at times?
I have never had that happen. I have the same set up on my Tundra and it has never flipped either.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:32 PM   #11

Thanks for the reply. If it keeps happening I might try the license plate version.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:05 PM   #12

Sorry for the post hijack.
You are one of very few people i've seen who installed the ac control unit in the upper part of the lower console. I think it is more convenient and nicer there. Was that an easy install as everyone just installs it in the lower section. Do you have any information or a link about that install?
b19upj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by b19upj View Post
Sorry for the post hijack.
You are one of very few people i've seen who installed the ac control unit in the upper part of the lower console. I think it is more convenient and nicer there. Was that an easy install as everyone just installs it in the lower section. Do you have any information or a link about that install?
No links, sorry. I moved it there when I did the Double Din install. It was very easy with just some moving around of some wires.