View Single Post
Old 01-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
AKnowles

How-To: Rear camera install

For those of you looking to install a rear view camera here's how I did mine in three stages (radio install, inerior, trunk):

1. Install radio (based on previous postings). Stage 1.
  2. Remove the center console. Stage 2.
  3. Remove the engine compartment carpet.
  4. Remove the screw in the rear sidewall carpet from the passenger side (you can remove it if you want instead) and lift it up.
  5. Route the camera wire & reverse wire from your DD unit under the are for the center console.
  6. Router the camera wire & reverse wire under the edge of the carpet exposed by the center console and engine compartment carpet removal. I used a thin wedge of plastic to push the wire under the endge.
  7. Replace the center console.
  8. Continue routing the camera wire & reverse wire under the edge of the engine compart carpet and then under the rear sidewal carpet until it enters the area of the engine compartment.
  9. Replace the engine compartment carpet and push the sidewall carpet back to its install location and replace all screws/plastic covers.
  10. Remove the trunk carpet. Stage 3.
  11. Route the camera wire & reverse wire under the exposed plastic heat shield to the rear of the engine compartment area. Just to the left of the center mounted black cover (not sure what to call it right now) is an open area that enters in to the trunk area. Route the camera wire & reverse wire through it into the trunk.
  12. Remove the spoiler. Remove the spoiler actuator and put aside. Under the drivers side of the spoiler actuator is a plug for the license plate light. Remove it.
  13. Remove the license plate.
  14. Using a coat hanger with a U bent in to it pull the camera wires formt he camera through the license plate hole past the hole for the license plate light. Cut a small slice in the grommet and pull the wires through it.
  15. Attach the reverse wire to teh passenger side reverse light.
  16. Attach the camera unit power to the Red/Blue wire in the X-59 plug left of the DME.
  17. Attach the camera negative wire to the ground just above the X-59 plug.
  18. Connect the remaining camera wires (if any) to the camera control unit.
  19. Mount the camera control unit to the left of the water tank against the sheet metal.
  20. Replace the spolier actuator, spoiler, license plate, & camera.

The camera I used was a Boyo VTL420SR Bartype HD CCD Camera with Two Sensors and Nightvision purcahsed at Amazon. My DD is a Kenwood DNX9980HD. So far, it is workign well, but I do need to modify the security style bolts I bought (we've had a rash of license plate thefts) to fit in the exposed camera mounting holes better.

It was too dark and I had insufficient time for pictures, but if anyone feels the need let me know and I'll see if I can get some of the troublesome areas snapped and inserted in to the relavent areas.