View Single Post
Old 04-06-2014, 07:56 PM   #13
KevinH1990

HVAC Relocation Tip

I've only been able to spend a few hours on the project in the last few weeks.

Here's a picture of the new unit with the wiring harness attached:

I tested the unit on the bench using a power supply from a personal computer. I also tested it in the car - everything is working.

I started taking the car apart on Friday. I found that relocating the HVAC controls was made easier by removing this air duct from the ventilation system:

It runs between the center console and the passenger air vent at the side of the dash next to the door. To see the duct, you need to remove the foam panel below the dash and above the passenger foot well. There are two fasteners that you have to unscrew

The duct has a bellows-like section in the middle. By compressing it you can remove it from the two connection. Watch how you take it off so that you remember how to align it when you put it back on.

With the air duct out of the way, there is more room to route the cables for the HVAC controls down the passenger side of the dash. Here's a picture with the duct out of the way:

You need to gently massage the wires down from the upper dash and through the opening in the middle of the center console. It's a little difficult to photograph, but when the cars apart a little bit of study will show you the best route. Here's a look at the connectors before I installed the control:

I plan to route the GPS antenna after work tomorrow and then remove the seat to find the reverse wire.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote