Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2013, 09:28 AM   #1

looking to own a boxster S

new guy just wanted to know a few things from those who owned any boxster like

1) do i have to use premium unleaded or can i get away with it if i commute to school and back

2) is maintenance expensive, only thing i know that's expensive would be brakes and suspension

3) I'm an aggressive driver and coming from a mustang (v6) that never gave me a problem thrashing on it, can i do the same to the boxster. pretty much does it like being driven.

4) lastly does it matter what year boxster i get if i just want a daily driver that can also be a track car or should i save for a newer used boxster.

mustang2porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #2

Ooof, so many things to address. The fact that you even ask question 1 makes me question whether or not you're ready to be owning a Porsche.
Which leads directly into question 2- unless you are a DIY kind of guy, you're going to be paying a lot. Parts are hard to come by and are downright murder sometimes.

As for question 3, you say "aggressive driver" coming from a mustang. Does that mean you like to drop the clutch a lot and do burnouts? If so, the Boxster is not the car for you. It is as 180 from an American muscle car as you can get. These badboys were made for corners, and you'll be disappointed if straight speed is what you want.

As for what year, I would suggest getting something with a dual row to avoid IMS issues.

Happy huntin'!
Crono0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crono0001 View Post
Ooof, so many things to address. The fact that you even ask question 1 makes me question whether or not you're ready to be owning a Porsche.
Which leads directly into question 2- unless you are a DIY kind of guy, you're going to be paying a lot. Parts are hard to come by and are downright murder sometimes.

As for question 3, you say "aggressive driver" coming from a mustang. Does that mean you like to drop the clutch a lot and do burnouts? If so, the Boxster is not the car for you. It is as 180 from an American muscle car as you can get. These badboys were made for corners, and you'll be disappointed if straight speed is what you want.

As for what year, I would suggest getting something with a dual row to avoid IMS issues.

Happy huntin'!
well i asked question 1 because i don't mind paying for premium, just asking if i can get away with regular

second question, yes i am a DIY guy, rebuilt the stangs motor no problem, as long as i have a manual or friendly people to tell me what to do.

third, i put coil overs on the stang for cornering, i know the boxster isn't fast in a straight line, but my local track doesn't have a drag strip, it's a roadcourse track.

lastly what is a dual row? does a specific year come with one.

i'm looking at getting atleast an 04 boxster S if not an 01 or newer.

also wanted t know if the boxster is mod friendly, though i think i doubt it.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

Let me ask you something...

What are the top five reasons you want a Boxster and not another sports car or another Porsche?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:48 AM   #5

top five

two doors

two seats

better fuel economy than my stang

can corner harder than my mustang, my friends RX-8, and cousins S2000 (though i test drove an 07 base boxster)

cheaper on my insurance ( surprisingly)

but honestly i need a new car since my mustang just hit 200,000 and the boxster just felt so good when i test drove one, especially compared to a 370z and a 2013 v6 mustang, camarao, challenger, BRZ/FR-S, GTI, WRX, and genesis coupe. but like i said i'm using an 07 base boxster test drive as a reference, and i don't think there would be much of a different feel from an 04 boxster S vs an 07 base

edit: also corvettes are overrated and uncomfortable to drive long distances or city. ntm louisiana roads suck
Old 08-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #6

As far as what you like, you don't seem to mention anything specific to the essence of the car, which is that it's a purpose built convertible.

Why not consider an older 996 Carrera? It's essentially a two seater and although the upfront cost can be slightly higher (or lower depending on mileage) the maintenance costs are practically the same: high. And the costs of unexepected repairs are equally high since it's the price of parts and not so much much the labor that make owning the car pricey.
In other words if you're going to brave the Porsche waters and aren't really a roadster guy, then why consider it over a Carrera?
Some make the mistake of thinking that the Boxster will be more affordable way of getting into a Porsche than a 996/997 and base their decision to buy on that premise, but after a $5K repair bill for shocks, clutch/ims and water pump, they soon discover that's not really the case.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 08-20-2013 at 10:12 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #7

well i did forget to mention it was a purpose built convertible, but i see the convertible part an added charm, but even without it, it would be purpose built none the less. i thought of a carrera, but i heard that it is a bit harder to control on a track which i might see about 3- 6 times a year, and occasional "spirited" driving. just feels like a boxster is right and the initial cost for a boxster is cheaper than a carrera ( in my general area). personally i also think the boxster looks better than a carrera, but that's personal preference. i'm still wondering if i can "drive" the car harder than what most do on the back roads.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #8

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 07:05 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #9

basically that's why i wanted a used boxster S, cheap (<17k) and performs better or on par with cars a bit pricier than it. also looks great and why not get a porsche. though i'm iffy about carreras, i've seen those on the track go off the track because i heard they're not beginner friendly. and i'm not looking forward to slamming into walls because of lift off oversteer.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #10

Garage
The Boxster is a great car and yes it is a purpose built convertible! I bought it because I wanted a fun car with top down driving. This car has exceeded my expectations. Find a well cared for car and your maintence costs should be lower. Do some of the maintenance your self and your costs will be reasonable. These aren't hard cars to work on, if I can do it so can you. Lots of valuable information on this forum as well as other resources. Find a good indie mechanic to handle the things you don't want to do.

This car is a giant step up from a Mustang IMO. My son had a 2002 Mustang and there is just no comparison to my 2001. My sons Mustang had way more maintenance issues than my Boxster. These cars are a great value. Yes, I put in Premium, which in reality is not that much more than mid or regular. If you are worried about that cost, the Boxster may not be for you at this time. I also drive it aggressively so my gas mileage is not exactly stellar, but I am good with that Seriously, for what you get for your money with these cars, you can afford some maintenance and premium gas.
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:25 AM   #11
recycledsixtie

Garage
As my example before I got my 2001 Boxster base which I have had 2 years, I had a 99 Miata for 4 years. I would think that your Mustang was pretty cheap to run just like a Miata. I cannot run my Box for less than $2k a year - I do basic maintenance but most of the time I take it to the indy shop.

When I try a burnout at a green light I smell clutch smell(it smells expensive =$$$$). So I don't do it anymore. Cornering and acceleration once rolling are fun. This is not a car to run on a shoestring budget. Tracking would be fun but am sure it would be expensive. I could easily spend $6k on my car if I wanted to fix and replace. Spoiler is disabled, new ims, weepy rms, replace water pump etc but the essentials are running fine.

On the plus side the air cond. in my car works great and it has low mileage - 40k and it has proved to be reliable. I do change the oil at every 5k miles and put in the right octane fuel. Good luck with your search but luck has less to do with it than knowledge. Do all the internet searching/reading you can on the various Porsches/Boxsters/911's etc. I like the modern design of the Boxster, good heat, good air etc etc Drive different cars and once you find one you like a PPI is a must....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #12

I don't think the Boxster will like rough roads on a regular basis and that could cause it to require more frequent maintenance, however it won't break, just get too loose.

On the track it can really handle a hard drive like a champ with no worries about having to tender foot it and you have some good class racing available just about everywhere.

There lots of DIY options as well if you visit the DIY section of the forum.

Its surprisingly easy to work on for the most part.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:34 AM   #13

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 07:05 AM.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM   #14

OP: Save up and buy the newest S for which you can pay cash. I do not recommend financing a used Porsche. The payment money will be needed for potential repairs and maintenance (rubber alone may need replacing annually if you use the car as a daily driver. The rear tires just don't last more than 12k and will run you $175 - $500 each). Plus, the older the car model, the more cheap and poorly made plastic parts it has on it that fall apart due to age or heat, even if the car has very few miles on it.

Info on the model range: The 03's and up had a rear glass window that is MUCH better than a plastic rear window one should manually fold during the closing operation (a pain in the a$$). The 07's and up have a redesigned interior that's much nicer. The mid 2009's got a new motor that is better than the previous one and doesn't have an intermediate shaft bearing that sometimes fails in our cars and it has the supposedly wonderful new automatic transmission in it if you want an auto-shifter.

.... and as a personal favor for me and the other readers here, and for the basic respect of the written word ... please capitalize the first words in your sentences. It makes your posts easier to read and I will personally guarantee that it will increase your income potential in years to come. Really.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-20-2013 at 11:42 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
new guy just wanted to know a few things from those who owned any boxster like

1) do i have to use premium unleaded or can i get away with it if i commute to school and back

2) is maintenance expensive, only thing i know that's expensive would be brakes and suspension

3) I'm an aggressive driver and coming from a mustang (v6) that never gave me a problem thrashing on it, can i do the same to the boxster. pretty much does it like being driven.

4) lastly does it matter what year boxster i get if i just want a daily driver that can also be a track car or should i save for a newer used boxster.
I have owned many mustangs in the past, 1968 GT (302), 1990 GT convert, 1995 GT convert, 1999 V6 convert... So I can speak to the comparisons pretty well.

With that being said, there is no comparison. They are totally different cars. While the acceleration is great in the Porsche, it is not designed for 0-60 leave rubber at the red light kind of driving. However, you will find that it is quicker than your V6 mustang. Where you will REALLY feel it is in the handling. I never really understood the saying "handles like it is on rails" until I drove this car. The brakes are also considerably better.

As for your questions....
1) You don't HAVE to run premium, but there is no reason not to. If you don't think you can afford it, then you can't afford the car period. You are looking at maybe $5 more per fill up from empty to run premium. Better detonation, better performance. I go so far as to only run tier-1 gas.

2) Maintenance is more expensive. Not unbelievable, but more. Part of the reason is in the design. Your mustang takes maybe 5 1/2 qrt of oil. The Boxster takes almost twice that, and you need to run synthetic. That being said, my last oil change was $85.00, and Porsche's recommendation is every 12,000 miles (most do it more often though). You have to bleed the brake fluid every two years regardless of mileage. None of this is bank breaking, escpecially if you are at all a DYI'er. I am not.

3) I don't know what your definition of "thrashing on it" is. No, I would not be dumping the clutch at every red light, and trying to get that second gear chirp. This is a bit more of a finesse car. You will find that the sound near 4,500 rpm is intoxicating and love to be in that zone. And the car loves to be there too. Common statement on this board is "drive it like you stole it", or "drive it like the doctor ordered".

4) The year is a touchy one. I wouldn't want anything earlier than an 03 for the glass window and glove box. Of course the top can be replaced with one that has glass. The IMS is another issue, there is a ton of debate, and will just say do research and make your own decision.

Whatever you do, get a PPI. Once you drive one all else will pale by comparison.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:57 AM   #16

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
.... and as a personal favor for me and the other readers here, and for the basic respect of the written word ... please capitalize the first words in your sentences. It makes your posts easier to read and I will personally guarantee that it will increase your income potential in years to come. Really.
You just became one of my heroes!

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:24 PM   #17

Reading you guys replies helped. I'm unwavered on obtaining my boxster, as I'm in need of another two door (can't stand being in a vehicle with four doors) and after being in an 07 I was sold, but I can't fork out 07 money, but can afford the 04 S or base 05/06. I'm also coming from an auto stang to a manual boxster ( as autos suck) so I won't be dumping the clutch and killing the tires. Basically need a great daily driver for college and a great track car for the summer. So premium gas, no prob. DIY maintenance, no prob (as I already run full synthetic in the mustang) and I guess a PPI would help spotting the ims failure. So hopefully I find the right one and enjoy driving with the top down and superb handling.
Old 08-20-2013, 12:52 PM   #18

Garage
I think a boxster s is a great choice for you. However the $17K may be a problem. Pay a bit more, get a later model, preferably 2005 or newer. More HP, more efficient, better fuel milage, etc. Learn how to do much of the periodic maintenance yourselk and you will be a happy camper.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
I think a boxster s is a great choice for you. However the $17K may be a problem. Pay a bit more, get a later model, preferably 2005 or newer. More HP, more efficient, better fuel milage, etc. Learn how to do much of the periodic maintenance yourselk and you will be a happy camper.
i read that there were issues with an 05/06 since they were redesigned boxster and new. thats why i stop at 04 or continue with 07, but an 07 (locally) i'm looking at 30K while 04 i'm looking at <17K lowest 13K all under 100K miles.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
Reading you guys replies helped. I'm unwavered on obtaining my boxster, as I'm in need of another two door (can't stand being in a vehicle with four doors) and after being in an 07 I was sold, but I can't fork out 07 money, but can afford the 04 S or base 05/06. I'm also coming from an auto stang to a manual boxster ( as autos suck) so I won't be dumping the clutch and killing the tires. Basically need a great daily driver for college and a great track car for the summer. So premium gas, no prob. DIY maintenance, no prob (as I already run full synthetic in the mustang) and I guess a PPI would help spotting the ims failure. So hopefully I find the right one and enjoy driving with the top down and superb handling.
PPI spotting the ims failure? A ppi does not cover taking the engine apart to find a defective ims. The oil filter can be removed by the mechanic to check for metal(visual inspection plus if the metal is magnetic?). So if you find a Boxster that has had the ims replaced that would be a great benefit if it had been done as a preventive action.
Or else get a solid Boxster and have it replaced after you purchase it or else get the Ims Guardian which I did to let you know of an impending failure. I personally like the older Boxsters because you don't have to split the case to replace the ims. 2009 Boxsters and newer don't have the ims bearing. Read up on the various year Boxsters and failure levels. Double row bearings vs. single row etc and probability of failure of ims according to year. Don't rush into buying the first one you try. Make sure you get the options you want. PSM, heated seats, color etc. Not trying to scare you but it is important to get as much info as possible to make a sound decision....

recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote