View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Coffinhunter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
new guy just wanted to know a few things from those who owned any boxster like

1) do i have to use premium unleaded or can i get away with it if i commute to school and back

2) is maintenance expensive, only thing i know that's expensive would be brakes and suspension

3) I'm an aggressive driver and coming from a mustang (v6) that never gave me a problem thrashing on it, can i do the same to the boxster. pretty much does it like being driven.

4) lastly does it matter what year boxster i get if i just want a daily driver that can also be a track car or should i save for a newer used boxster.
I have owned many mustangs in the past, 1968 GT (302), 1990 GT convert, 1995 GT convert, 1999 V6 convert... So I can speak to the comparisons pretty well.

With that being said, there is no comparison. They are totally different cars. While the acceleration is great in the Porsche, it is not designed for 0-60 leave rubber at the red light kind of driving. However, you will find that it is quicker than your V6 mustang. Where you will REALLY feel it is in the handling. I never really understood the saying "handles like it is on rails" until I drove this car. The brakes are also considerably better.

As for your questions....
1) You don't HAVE to run premium, but there is no reason not to. If you don't think you can afford it, then you can't afford the car period. You are looking at maybe $5 more per fill up from empty to run premium. Better detonation, better performance. I go so far as to only run tier-1 gas.

2) Maintenance is more expensive. Not unbelievable, but more. Part of the reason is in the design. Your mustang takes maybe 5 1/2 qrt of oil. The Boxster takes almost twice that, and you need to run synthetic. That being said, my last oil change was $85.00, and Porsche's recommendation is every 12,000 miles (most do it more often though). You have to bleed the brake fluid every two years regardless of mileage. None of this is bank breaking, escpecially if you are at all a DYI'er. I am not.

3) I don't know what your definition of "thrashing on it" is. No, I would not be dumping the clutch at every red light, and trying to get that second gear chirp. This is a bit more of a finesse car. You will find that the sound near 4,500 rpm is intoxicating and love to be in that zone. And the car loves to be there too. Common statement on this board is "drive it like you stole it", or "drive it like the doctor ordered".

4) The year is a touchy one. I wouldn't want anything earlier than an 03 for the glass window and glove box. Of course the top can be replaced with one that has glass. The IMS is another issue, there is a ton of debate, and will just say do research and make your own decision.

Whatever you do, get a PPI. Once you drive one all else will pale by comparison.

Ka is a wheel, and everything is 19
Coffinhunter is offline   Reply With Quote