View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #20
recycledsixtie
recycledsixtie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang2porsche View Post
Reading you guys replies helped. I'm unwavered on obtaining my boxster, as I'm in need of another two door (can't stand being in a vehicle with four doors) and after being in an 07 I was sold, but I can't fork out 07 money, but can afford the 04 S or base 05/06. I'm also coming from an auto stang to a manual boxster ( as autos suck) so I won't be dumping the clutch and killing the tires. Basically need a great daily driver for college and a great track car for the summer. So premium gas, no prob. DIY maintenance, no prob (as I already run full synthetic in the mustang) and I guess a PPI would help spotting the ims failure. So hopefully I find the right one and enjoy driving with the top down and superb handling.
PPI spotting the ims failure? A ppi does not cover taking the engine apart to find a defective ims. The oil filter can be removed by the mechanic to check for metal(visual inspection plus if the metal is magnetic?). So if you find a Boxster that has had the ims replaced that would be a great benefit if it had been done as a preventive action.
Or else get a solid Boxster and have it replaced after you purchase it or else get the Ims Guardian which I did to let you know of an impending failure. I personally like the older Boxsters because you don't have to split the case to replace the ims. 2009 Boxsters and newer don't have the ims bearing. Read up on the various year Boxsters and failure levels. Double row bearings vs. single row etc and probability of failure of ims according to year. Don't rush into buying the first one you try. Make sure you get the options you want. PSM, heated seats, color etc. Not trying to scare you but it is important to get as much info as possible to make a sound decision....
recycledsixtie is offline   Reply With Quote