Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Garage
Oil capacity?

In a 2003 3.2 liter motor My owners manual say oil capacity is 8.7 quarts including the filter. I added a LN 1/4" pan extension or added 1/2 Quart of capacity to 9.2. I purchased a case of Brad Penn Break-in oil for my rebuild. I was liberal about how much was splashed and wiped on part as they were assembled so I used about a quart in assembly. The final fill should have left me with some oil left over.

No way all that oil is in the motor the dipstick says a quart low the oil sensor says a quart low (about 4 line). What am I Missing, or is my manual wrong.

I started the engine after it cool down from the initial run no smoke. I started it this morning and this afternoon after work no smoke.

The water capacity is off also but that is the way LN does the cylinders. They machine down the cylinder portion in the water jacket and press in new sleeves. the extra diameter decreases the water jacket space. so I gain .9 liters displacement and probably a liter of water capacity.

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #2

If the dipstick and the oil sensor sayS you are a quart low, you are a quart low. Add a quart, get the motor up to operating temp, turn it off and let it sit for 5 minutes, re-check the oil and add more oil if necessary. It's all in the manual, not brain surgery.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

I agree, if the dipstick says a quart low, then you're a quart low.

The quart that you used in assembly probably doesn't end up as a quart in the sump. My guess is that a lot was wiped off on your hands and the rags that you used during assembly and some burned off as soon as you started the engine and ran it for a few minutes.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 AM   #4

Garage
I had added more oil even before the I posted the question. Now with that said I have 12 quarts oil in the motor that the manual says take about 9 to 9-1/2

So the 2 questions still remaining are

1. Are the posted capasities good or does a dry engine take 2 to 2-1/2 quarts to fill all the extra nooks that normally won't drain in an oil change.

2. Do I have a issue that I need to be concerned with? IE the the scavanege pump not working etc.

I'm really tempted to drain all the oil to see what actually will come back out.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I had added more oil even before the I posted the question. Now with that said I have 12 quarts oil in the motor that the manual says take about 9 to 9-1/2

1. Are the posted capasities good or does a dry engine take 2 to 2-1/2 quarts to fill all the extra nooks that normally won't drain in an oil change.

2. Do I have a issue that I need to be concerned with? IE the the scavanege pump not working etc.

I'm really tempted to drain all the oil to see what actually will come back out.
Don't worry, as long as the dipstick is finding oil you have enough. Don't forget the dipstick can't detect the extra 1/2 quart in the sump extension but as long as the pickup spacer is installed the oil pump can access this "reserve". Don't waste time & oil trying to fill to max full line, it's not like you are going to do any hard cornering & high rpms during breakin.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post

Less than a quart of oil does not get changed out during a standard oil/filter change. This is consistent with the owner manuals.

Not sure about starting from a dry engine but hard to believe that its almost than 3 qts!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 11:27 AM   #7

I just read in Excellence, where a guy with an older (aircooled ) 911 had the same problems and he was instructed that there was 3 QT. of oil still in the engine after draining it all out
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
1999 base

Garage
food for thoughts.
at my last project, i removed the oil sump , the oil cooler, and replaced the IMS bearing.
the sump was out of the car for 3 weeks, and the engine was dripping oil the whole time. combined with the fact that oil comes out from behind the bearing, and from the oil cooler, i assume i drained more oil then in a regular oil change.
when i finished my project, i ended up putting 9.25 liters (3.2 engine) of oil.
i'm not sure if i have the right amount of oil, since it looks like no one really knows what is the correct way the check the oil
1. if i check the oil level when engine is cold - i'm right on the top spot.(both dipstick and digital gauge)
2. if i check the oil level (digital gauge) as described in the manual (wait for the timer to end after a fuel fill up), it shows between the min and max.

according to the "book" i'm missing 1/2 a liter (?). if i will add more oil ill be closer to 10 liters them to 9.
at this point i prefer to stay that way. under the max is better then over the max (at least in my book).
i tried to figure out what is the amount of oil required for a "dry" engine , with no luck.
maybe some engine builders can chime in?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #9

Garage
Good point Meir, while I was overhauling my suspension for 3 weeks I had the oil drainplug out. After the 1st day of draining oil I removed the drain pan. Overnight about 1/4 of a quart drained out on the floor, after cleaning up the oil I placed a cardboard box under the oil drain. Oil continued to drip for 2 weeks & I am sure I drained close to a quart after the first day. When you have the sump plate off it's obvious Porsche designed the drain bung for ground clearance (996) not oil drainage.

When I reassemble a M96 engine I use about 1.5 qt. of new oil in addition to assembly lube but almost half the oil drips out of the engine.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #10
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
Good point Meir, while I was overhauling my suspension for 3 weeks I had the oil drainplug out. After the 1st day of draining oil I removed the drain pan. Overnight about 1/4 of a quart drained out on the floor, after cleaning up the oil I placed a cardboard box under the oil drain. Oil continued to drip for 2 weeks & I am sure I drained close to a quart after the first day. When you have the sump plate off it's obvious Porsche designed the drain bung for ground clearance (996) not oil drainage.

When I reassemble a M96 engine I use about 1.5 qt. of new oil in addition to assembly lube but almost half the oil drips out of the engine.
Was hoping you'll Chimein BY
So what was the total amount of oil you used once the engine was assembled?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:51 AM   #11

My 2001 Boxster S took 11L of oil yesterday. Despite what the manual says. Quick question: has anyone experienced a spectacular huge explosion of white smoke from the exhaust directly after an oil change? Luckily, that smoke is absent today.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:46 PM   #12

Why would it need 11 Liters? No wonder you have smoke.
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 10:55 AM   #13

Question Oil capacity

Used 10 quarts in my std '97. Digital gauge and dipstick said it was at full the full line but I dropped the filter housing to take the level down a bit. No issues after the change. Oil drain time was about 3 hours.
Porsche_Padowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
San Diego Boxster

Garage
I recently did my IMSB as well as had the sump off. Plenty of oil came out from both areas.

After assembly, ended up using 11.5 quarts of oil.

Oil Leak - Pulling Trans to change RMS, IMS, Clutch, etc

1998 Black Boxster (owned since 2001)
drbodzin is offline   Reply With Quote