Thread: Oil capacity?
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #8
Meir
1999 base

Garage
food for thoughts.
at my last project, i removed the oil sump , the oil cooler, and replaced the IMS bearing.
the sump was out of the car for 3 weeks, and the engine was dripping oil the whole time. combined with the fact that oil comes out from behind the bearing, and from the oil cooler, i assume i drained more oil then in a regular oil change.
when i finished my project, i ended up putting 9.25 liters (3.2 engine) of oil.
i'm not sure if i have the right amount of oil, since it looks like no one really knows what is the correct way the check the oil
1. if i check the oil level when engine is cold - i'm right on the top spot.(both dipstick and digital gauge)
2. if i check the oil level (digital gauge) as described in the manual (wait for the timer to end after a fuel fill up), it shows between the min and max.

according to the "book" i'm missing 1/2 a liter (?). if i will add more oil ill be closer to 10 liters them to 9.
at this point i prefer to stay that way. under the max is better then over the max (at least in my book).
i tried to figure out what is the amount of oil required for a "dry" engine , with no luck.
maybe some engine builders can chime in?
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote