Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #1

Autoweek article of 54.5 mpg

This weeks Autoweek has the present Administration's EPA goal. Taking into account that Mr Potus is a complete and pure a-hole it should be no surprise that the goals as they stand now will probably destroy the car industry as we know it now. 54.5 mpg fleet which is a daunting task all for the sake of pushing more prius cars on us and volts on us. I fail to see what business is it of government to impose their noses into the car industry. We can see how efficiently govt works, look at their foray into providing mortgages for everyone by the likes of Maxine Waters, Mr Potus when he was a Senator in training, Barney Franks, Sen Dodd, Pres Clinton, and we are living through that nightmare right now, how trillions of dollars from everyone has evaporated but you would think this is enough no there is more. Mr Potus health program that was underestimated by another 111 billion but what the heck we already have a trillion and half in deficit. 111 billion more is a drop in the bucket. Where is the country going? Class warfare, distribution of wealth, outright confiscation of your wages and liberties dam it reminds me of Cuba. Let's bring back Che as treasurer like Fidel did, this way he could rob you blind as he goes to El Morro to shoot a few more Cubans or if not administer the coup de gras. I have always maintained that the people that voted for Potus are those who believe that Americans owe something to the blacks because of slavery. Is pure bs and here we are with an incompetent Potus that is autocratic , self empowered to change the fabric of this country. At this point I can see why it would not a bad idea of replacing both houses with burros. That's it for tonight's rant of I had it with this government. I am sure there will be issues that will ignite the wick.:dance:

Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 PM   #2

I don't understand what the problem is. VW made a deisel rabbit in the 70s that got somewhere in the 60-70 mpg range, so the technology is there. The real problem is that car manufacturers have convinced americans that they have to have 300 hp, 5000 lbs tanks , which of course will never get good gas mileage.

2000 Boxster 2.7l red/black

Previous cars

1973 Opel Manta
1969(?) Fiat 850 Convertible
1979 Lancia Beta Coupe
1981 Alfa Romeo GTV 6
1985 Alfa Romeo Graduate
1985 Porsche 944
1989 Porsche 944
1981 Triumph TR7
1989 (?) Alfa Romeo Milano
1993 Saab 9000
san rensho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
Ex Esso kid

Pilot, asking any industry to spend money without a profit return always goes over like a fart in church. Each time the mileage standard has been raised, there have been grumbles followed by acceptance and accomplishment. IMO, without a kick in the ass we would not have:

Air bags
five mile an hour bumpers
seat belts
clean output standards such as everyone's favorite the catalytic converter
head rests
Ghostrider 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
Pilot, asking any industry to spend money without a profit return always goes over like a fart in church. Each time the mileage standard has been raised, there have been grumbles followed by acceptance and accomplishment. IMO, without a kick in the ass we would not have:

Air bags
five mile an hour bumpers
seat belts
clean output standards such as everyone's favorite the catalytic converter
head rests
And the point is? It is not the governments obligation nor duty to legislate these sorts of things. The reason Americans fought and died in wars was so that there would be no big brother. It always amazes me what people are willing to give up so that they don't have to take responsibilities for their own actions. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #5

Pilot. If you are so fed up, why don't you move to a country where there are no taxes and the only function carried out by the government is maintaining the military? There are several countries that fit this description, where the free market rules, completely unfettered by government intervention. Somalia comes to mind. That's the great thing about the United States, nobody is forcing you to stay! Just think, you can probably even watch FOX news on the internet in Somalia and laugh at the rest of us still suffering here in the good old U S of A. You can be driving an armored Humvee that gets 4 miles to the gallon and the government won't force you into a vehicle that gets better gas mileage. When you decide to go, just let me know and I'll pitch in for your plane ticket.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:22 AM   #6
Ex Esso kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472 View Post
And the point is? It is not the governments obligation nor duty to legislate these sorts of things. The reason Americans fought and died in wars was so that there would be no big brother. It always amazes me what people are willing to give up so that they don't have to take responsibilities for their own actions. Ed

My dad is very sick so excuse the tantrum but... Are you @$%&* kidding me dude? Mandating mileage is how you see the government being big brother? They can expose you to radiation each time you fly increasing your risk of leukemia but you think the gas mileage is offensive to those who served for us? We have people jailed from sea to shining sea for doobies and you want to make the government an Ahole about mileage!!! I suggest you broaden your view of what is too much oversight. Comon, we used to be able to smoke in planes, bowling alleys, restaurants. A DWI meant you hit something or someone, you could have a beer on your #$^& boat. It's twenty effing twelve and sodomy is still illegal with your spouse in some southern states! If you want to discuss the loss of freedoms the list is mighty long and needs to include more than a call for better gas mileage. Think of what we could save without a war on drugs or the eradication program for prostitution, it's only been around since Jesus any year now it should end.....
Old 03-03-2012, 06:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472 View Post
Bravo I see that some of you already agree with me, while some already dranked the Kool Aid others see what the role of government is. It should be to protect our borders deliver the mail and maintain the highways for commerce. Regarding the air bags, and other safety items I am a believer that time would have made the manufacturers improve their cars no need of Big Brother telling you what to do. We belong to a forum that is all about Porsche and do you think that the EPA's mandates, an agency that has no accountability to the public and are not elected, is not going to drive the design performance of future models because they have spoken and that is ipso facto. To that is a say screw the EPA dismantle the dam agency. All of you that are so naive and have this Alice in Wonderland outlook of the things government does; you are now ready to buy the Brooklyn Bridge. Wait until these unelected idiots destroy the means of power plants in this country, pipe lines that can't be built sell us into paying a cartel whatever they want wiping out your savings and your worth and at the same time go to war to defend them. Gee what a great idea is that. EPA does not allow atomic energy, has stopped breeder reactors, stopped fusion investigation into technologies which are so far away and that will never produce enough electricity in the near future. Solar does not cut it, geothermal is not ready, aeolian is not working. Look at the politicians, Boxer stopped the solar because it would harm the desert, the Kennedys stopped a wind farm of Mass because it would spoil the Kennedy's retreat's mansion, who are we kidding. These people have their own agenda based on whose pocket is paying the freight. Right now with the present POTS the Unions, the environmental nazis and the looney left fringe is in control. In my soul and my live experience seeing this negative reaction to anything that spells progress for the country and the business environment is the worst that could have happened to the country and to those who see it different we will see who is right and who is wrong. In a few years we will see how much more moneys are fleeced by the government vs. how much money you could have spent in buying another Porsche. Hey maybe ours will be a relic of a era. The Porsche brand will be a bicycle. I know that I already got the usual bs from the liberal go back to where you are from yet they offer no solutions to anything other than " because you are doing better we are going to take more from you and give it to the family that has been on welfare for the last 30 years, the poor souls. I thought the War on Poverty that Johnson initiated was the solution. Gee kind to think of it has not worked, has it? Add up all the money thrown away there. The rest can continue drinking the Kool Aid.
Hasta Luego Amigos.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #8

Why don't we keep it about Porsche and not politics? I am sure there is some other forum where your racist, uninformed opinions will not only be welcomed, but applauded.
linklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:05 AM   #9

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by linklaw View Post
Pilot. If you are so fed up, why don't you move to a country where there are no taxes and the only function carried out by the government is maintaining the military? There are several countries that fit this description, where the free market rules, completely unfettered by government intervention. Somalia comes to mind. That's the great thing about the United States, nobody is forcing you to stay! Just think, you can probably even watch FOX news on the internet in Somalia and laugh at the rest of us still suffering here in the good old U S of A. You can be driving an armored Humvee that gets 4 miles to the gallon and the government won't force you into a vehicle that gets better gas mileage. When you decide to go, just let me know and I'll pitch in for your plane ticket.
I once wrote an editorial on Newsday about a teacher who got involved in denouncing an illegal alien family. I received the same lame response from someone that did not have the cojones to write his name down. His little rant was that I protested too much. The point of my argument was the fact his job is to educate not to be the immigration services. I ended the article that maybe this teacher-INS agent in disguised would have done the same if it was an Irish family blonde with blue eyes? For your information I do watch Fox, read the NY Times, leftist rag whose mantra is all the news worth printing for our liberal viewpoint and if not will fabricate them, Wall Street Journal, and also listen to NPR to see what the left is spinning. I am also an engineer and had my own business. Im not going to insult you because I have much better manners and if you don't agree I suggest you do as educated people do rather than sending me to Somalia. Man you could have sent me to Europe where the cars still do 200 mph in the Autobahn or Monaco a tax sheltered so let me know if that offer is still open I want to see the Grand Prix of Monaco in July on your dime.

Last edited by Pilot2519j; 03-03-2012 at 07:08 AM.
Pilot2519j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:49 AM   #10

I'm not sure what I think about this idea, but I would certainly say you're living in a fantasy land if you think government regulation isn't necessary. Corporations generally operate with a view to short and at best medium term profitability.

It takes regulation to force them into longer term views and the behaviours that go along with that.

It's government regulation, for instance, that stops corporations from disposing of toxic waste into the sources of your drinking water or from buying the house next to yours and turning it into a noisy, dirty, smelly factory.

So let's be honest about this. It's not government interference per se that's the issue here. You just don't think having more efficient and cleaner cars is terribly desirable. If you did, you'd be all for it, just like you're all for the government regulations that stop prostitutes walking up and down near your home looking for customers.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:51 PM   #11

Unfortunately, both Governments and Big Buisiness will take advantage of situations if allowed to, so there needs to be a fine balancing act on all sides.
Its been the same since the neanderthal living in the cave next door was able to drag your daughter off to his hole and leave you with a crushed skull....just because he could
And nobody has mentioned (President) Ralph Nader yet ???
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #12

As gas mileage goes up, the oil companies will raise their prices to keep the same level of profit. So no matter what happens, one way or another we are the ones that will loose in the end.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #13

Garage
No politics!
Old 03-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #14
kls

No politics!

+1
kls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #15

Regardless of your ideas on government's responsibilities - this is not the place. Period.
Old 03-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole View Post
I'm not sure what I think about this idea, but I would certainly say you're living in a fantasy land if you think government regulation isn't necessary. Corporations generally operate with a view to short and at best medium term profitability.

It takes regulation to force them into longer term views and the behaviours that go along with that.

It's government regulation, for instance, that stops corporations from disposing of toxic waste into the sources of your drinking water or from buying the house next to yours and turning it into a noisy, dirty, smelly factory.

So let's be honest about this. It's not government interference per se that's the issue here. You just don't think having more efficient and cleaner cars is terribly desirable. If you did, you'd be all for it, just like you're all for the government regulations that stop prostitutes walking up and down near your home looking for customers.
I would add pothole repairs for another thing that government can do. Corporations create wealth and jobs government create programs and taxes. In what I am arguing against is that we have an agency EPA of unelected officials telling us what car we will all drive. So much for choice.I could do without the prostitute near my house and the toxic waste since you are making this personal.
The market forces will dictate the size and economy of cars. Plenty of Prius out there for those who want that vehicle. Last point I live in NY where we are taxed to the hilt and that is the reality. Your insinuation of living in fantasy is sophomoric and condescending also, I am not a racist as one looney called me. I am from Cuba and I have called many a times a spic by both whites and blacks. I have no problem with them their racist slurs are a disease from here.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider 310 View Post
My dad is very sick so excuse the tantrum but... Are you @$%&* kidding me dude? Mandating mileage is how you see the government being big brother? They can expose you to radiation each time you fly increasing your risk of leukemia but you think the gas mileage is offensive to those who served for us? We have people jailed from sea to shining sea for doobies and you want to make the government an Ahole about mileage!!! I suggest you broaden your view of what is too much oversight. Comon, we used to be able to smoke in planes, bowling alleys, restaurants. A DWI meant you hit something or someone, you could have a beer on your #$^& boat. It's twenty effing twelve and sodomy is still illegal with your spouse in some southern states! If you want to discuss the loss of freedoms the list is mighty long and needs to include more than a call for better gas mileage. Think of what we could save without a war on drugs or the eradication program for prostitution, it's only been around since Jesus any year now it should end.....
If you had paid attention in Civics class in High School you would remember that the only rights and obligations that the Feds have is to enter into treaties with foreign governments, keep a standing army to inforce those treaties, regulate INTERSTATE commerce and produce coinage of an intrinsic value equal to face value. All other rules were left to the states to dictate. You don't like it in New York--move to Ohio. I do not need the Feds to tell me how I can live my life, but I also do not expect them to take care of me if I screw up. With freedom comes responsibility. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:21 AM   #18
Ex Esso kid

Pilot, It's not a perfect world, my cousin works for EPA, she spearheaded the cleaning of one of the most polluted lakes in the country; it's nearly swim-able now. There are spirits phenomenal and bad in every organization, what counts IMO is doing the right thing the best you can within the confines of your employment. The cafe standards are not going to take your sports cars away, Porsche already has a 911 that outputs cleaner air than the intake air depending on the city. I understand your point and this post is not meant to negate it.
PS Just who was it you thought was going to do anything about the "toxic waste" near your domicile? Hint hint, it starts with an E.

Oh and Ed, when I was in HS it was a different world, nothing stays the same, the government has become more over reaching I agree with you on that. I truly agree on the responsibility point.

Last edited by Ghostrider 310; 03-04-2012 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:40 AM   #19
Ex Esso kid

Last thought then out to hospital.. One reason there is no personal responsibility is due to lawyers. Just who was it that got the "do not step" sticker put on the paint holder section of the ladder? Did said individual profit from such stupidity? Buy a ladder these days it looks like a billboard. How bout the lawsuit over spilled hot coffee? If I'm that judge it's dismissed, coffee is supposed to be hot unless otherwise specified. Too many people in this country trying to win the big deal fo the day for being effing DOLTS.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:37 AM   #20

Can we get back to Boxster issues?

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote