Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #1

Need advice with possible purchase

Am looking at a 2008 Boxster(36,000 miles) that is located 500 miles from where I live. It is at a non-Porsche dealership and is a one owner , local trade. I had a PPI done that came back mostly positive but found issues in the electrical system. When connected to the diagnostic computer, 25 codes popped up. The technician who did the inspection did not speculate on what the problem could be other than to say it could be something simple or possibly something serious. Would appreciate any thoughts about how to proceed.

bwruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #2

Garage
What are the codes?
Old 03-05-2012, 04:43 PM   #3

Garage
In my experience OEM computers pull lots of codes from vehicles that seem completely normal to mere mortals.

Body computer codes are usually pretty harmless, I would be more concerned about over-rev events. I would not read too much into it.

My Range Rover has 23 modules that all talk to each other and last time it was on the Land Rover T4 we pulled over 100 codes. 99% of which meant nothing and the other 1% I already knew about because that is why we hooked it up in the first place.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:01 PM   #4

All I know at this point is from a telephone conversation with the tech who did the PPI. I will get a comprehensive written report which will hopefully provide additinal information that will be helpful. Am looking to buy my first Porsche and probably don't yet know the right questions to ask but and am an eager learner. Just don't want my over eagerness to cloud good judgment!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:38 PM   #5

Garage
Remember that the codes are simply data points, just because they exist does not mean that each one means a faulty device.

It is only an event where the data recorded fell outside of the programmed parameters FOR THAT SOFTWARE VERSION. Many codes are simply programmed away by changing the parameters in the next update cycle for the module.

Sometimes they add up to a faulty part, sometimes they are bad software code and sometimes they can tell you more than you really need to know because the data was not designed specifically to be used as a buying tool.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

I agree, many codes are essentially meaningless to the buyer/owner. However, there are a few that matter or could be costly to diagnose later. The big question: Was the Check Engine Light on? If not, then the codes are likely to be minor and you're probably relatively safe.

Oh, and good job on getting a PPI!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #7

Not a flood car I hope.
milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliemax View Post
Not a flood car I hope.
Was one of the data points a high water mark?
RobbieKnobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 06:23 AM   #9

Thanks for the helpful responses. Regarding the possibility of being a flood car it seems unlikely, I think. The car is a one owner; bought, kept, and traded in a region that was not affected by flooding. The folks who did the PPI did not mention a code related to water (is there, literally, a code for that?), and they didn't pick up on any other evidence of water damage.

The car was traded in at a jaguar/land rover dealership and they have had their techs, working in consultation with the local porsche dealer techs, check out the code findings and have found nothing wrong.

I don't want to be naive about the purchase and I am not yet emotionally attached to the car but do like the color combo and, assuming it is in good shape, the price seems right. The dealer is offering a 2 month/2000 mile warranty which I suppose provides some level of comfort.

I am going to look at it Monday so any other thoughts or suggestions would be welcomed. By the way, this forum is great and I have learned so much from it.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

Ask for the records and hope they will give you something. I doubt it. Good luck and I hope this car is straight up. Alot of "trade in's" are really from auctions. alot of flood cars go to auctions. Late model/low milage.

milliemax is offline   Reply With Quote