Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2009, 08:16 PM   #41

When did you decide you wanted one?

When girls in mini-skirts no longer wanted to sit in my Europa...

How long did it take to finally purchase it?

About 2 mos. after I mustered out of the Service, a '72 914/6 w/ 1-owner and 3600 mi. in '77.

How old where you then, and now?

I was 28 and have seen the Earth go around the Sun many many times since then.

Is there anything you would have done differently?

Not really, I was lucky to find exactly what I was looking for straight away.

Quick word of advice for a young person trying to save for one?

Keep your eye on your goal and be willing to forego some other things to get what you really want. Also, I'd recommend having at least 15% of the car's purchase price as a repair fund before you buy it. Also, consider such things as insurance costs, where you'll park it, life of existing consumables - tires, belts, hoses, etc. Also, a PPI is the best money you'll ever spend on it.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #42

Great question!

I have gorgeous memories of riding in the back of Dad's 356 cars in the 60's. Until '69, when he had a head-on collision with a Buick and spent 2 weeks in the hospital.

When the beautiful Cayman came out, I test drove one: I was in love. And it was silver w/red interior, just like early Porsches. Suddenly my Acura RSX wasn't so exciting anymore.

But the Caymans were too much $. I started Boxster-shopping as a compromise. One Sunday I made a low bid on a Silver/Red Boxster w/87K miles on ebay that needed work, but had no reserve [meaning no minimum price]. Thought my bid was too low, but suddenly it was mine. The colors, the vintage smell, the nostalgia. It took about $2k to get it roadworthy.

Many here are telling you to save up & buy a low mileage car. Or wait and save for the ultimate dream car [easy to say when you already have it]. That is good general advice, but not necessarily right for everyone.

For example, some of us like the vintage aspect. Also, if you have time and willingness to learn to make repairs yourself, the lower cost of an older model can get you in-Boxster sooner, and might be worth the elevated risk of more repairs per mile. If you are 19, like your name suggests, it might be hard to wait! With forums like this, renntech, boxa.net, etc. you can get info, download service manuals, etc. There are usually some early 986 Boxsters being parted out on Ebay, ebay.uk, and ebay deutschland, and many dismantlers around the U.S..

I'll never forget my brother & I, then 16, looking at a green 356 with rusted out floors in March 1975. It was $500, and we passed on it. I still regret it. :ah:

Last edited by Gougoushu; 02-23-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by hqduong
Work hard and dream big. Shoot for the moon, because if you miss you'll land among the stars.
I think he meant that to read: Shoot for the stars and you'll hit the moon, stars being much further away than the moon.

I'll add one more piece of advice my dad gave me that falls in line with hqduong...

Don't buy the cheapest car in a manufacturer's line when you dream of owning the top of the line model. So, if you want a 911 Turbo, don't settle for a base Boxster. You'll always wish you had saved more and got what you really wanted.

Boy was he right. I delayed buying my newest acquisition, a BMW 550i until I could get the right one with all the features I wanted and the big V8 in it. Had I purchased a 525 or even a 535 I know I would have pulled up to a 550i and wondered if I should have waited to find one in my price range or saved more money. :dance:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #44

Garage
Started looking at them 2+ years ago. Talked myself out of it several times. I was scared of the ims issue etc. I researched quite a bit more on this forum and others and determined that a very small percentage of Boxsters actually have this problem, so I pulled the trigger on one a few weeks ago on my 43rd birthday (just a coincidence). I've always loved sports cars. Probably dating back to the late 70's. My first car was a 70 MGB (Money Gone Bad)..then a 79 TR5, Then 3 different Mercedes, 2 3 series BMWs, 3 Z3s, 1 Z4 and now the Boxster. All have been a 2nd or third car with the exception of the MG. I've also owned many VWs. The rarest one being my '74 "Thing"...

I paid cash for my '00 Boxster S with approx. 38k on the clock. I'm not wealthy, but I have incredible saving habits. Both my other vehicles are paid for and they're both less than 2-3 years old. So my best advice is get something that you afford to own as much as you can simply afford to buy.

And btw 1989, I advised you to go with a 3 series a couple of weeks ago just for the maint. issues and your age etc.... what do you think??

sean
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:26 PM   #45

I drove a Corvair convertible when I was in high school, and always liked Porsches. I never really thought I would own one, though

My Corvair was a 1966 and I bought my Boxster last year, so that would make 42 years. Wow.

I was 16 then, 57 now.

Not really. I bought a new 1992 Corvette and my wife and I enjoyed a lot, but we sold it to buy a van for the family. No kidding. I thought seriously about buying another Vette, but I'm glad I went with the Boxster (2005 Certified, bought last May from a Porsche dealer). I also looked at used 911's, but they were beyond my budget. I bought the Boxster with cash.

Keep your priorities in order. Family comes first, plus saving for retirement. Toys can wait. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but I think it's good advice. A high school kid at our church saw me drive up in the Boxster last summer, and said "I wish I could have one of those!" I told him that if he worked hard for 40 years like I did, he would be able to afford one.
John in Bismarck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:32 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
NEVER EVER EVER EVER tie your home to a home equity loan to pay off credit cards or to buy a car. Bad move and one that the banks LOVE.
If you lose that job and can't make the payments on the equity loan they can come after your house. If you keep the credit card debt where it is (albeit a way higher interest rate probably) the worst that can happen is they hassle you on the phone, send you nasty letters and ultimately they just write off and some debt recovery service will try and hassle you some more. If you finance the car with a bank and you can't make the payments they just reposses the car but lately they're not even doing that because they're in no rush to sell your repo'd car in the worst car market in 30 years. They'll most likely work with you so you keep paying the balance on a car that isn't worth what is owed.

Sure the interest rate was lower by taking out a home equity loan but you taking a big risk for that savings.
That's really good advice. Your home is not an ATM. My next door neighbor is going through foreclosure on a house they have lived in for nearly 20 years. Should have been paid off by now...
Old 01-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #47

Talking

When Did you decide you wanted one?
Actually just recently. Had been looking at Vettes but wasn't seeing what I really wanted.....my wife actually suggested looking at a German product..I started looking at Porsches...glad I did. Bought 1998 Boxster.

I looked for awhile, probably a few months....was waiting for the right one.

I'm 53

No. I feel good in my selection...car has 44K miles on it and is in mint condition with a clean history.

Like others have said, keep your priorities straight....family first and the resposibilities that go with that...fortunately I had a paid off 2006 Solstice to trade for this. So you could say I traded one toy for a much better toy......

Last edited by NWI Bill; 01-29-2009 at 05:38 PM.
NWI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #48
Bry

Somewhere between "always" and "a few minutes before I test drove it." Seriously, my dad has always been a classic VW guy so the old air cooled Porsches are familiar, but just aren't my thing. I've always loved the cars, but never really entertained owning one. Then I test drove my Boxster - while at a dealership shopping for someone else - and decided "This will make a spectacularly fun daily driver!"

2 days. I never buy anything "big" on impulse... but right after the test drive I told the salesman I'd sleep on it... and that I'd be back the next day with a check for x dollars (a number I felt was low, but fair to both parties), and a half hour time limit. I walked out of the showroom the next day 40 minutes after I walked in, and drove my Porsche home. That was the easiest car purchase I've ever made from a dealer - I almost didn't have to speak at all!

24 for the seventh year running. I've been 24 for 8 years now!

Go for the S. I didn't care at all at the time of purchase, and don't feel the need to trade up for one, but I'd go right for the S if I knew then...

Invest wisely. Spend smartly. Remember that every frivolous purchase is detraction from a wonderful one.

Last edited by Bry; 01-28-2009 at 07:57 PM.
Bry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:04 PM   #49

Smile mature record

ill bet i hold the "mature" record because today i got my 1st boxster/porsche. im 64 yrs old, but im in great shape for myage and will kick your butt if you dont believe me he he. i wonder who is the oldest that still owns a boxster. hmmmmm??
mrfredsporty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #50

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I think he meant that to read: Shoot for the stars and you'll hit the moon, stars being much further away than the moon.

I'll add one more piece of advice my dad gave me that falls in line with hqduong...

Don't buy the cheapest car in a manufacturer's line when you dream of owning the top of the line model. So, if you want a 911 Turbo, don't settle for a base Boxster. You'll always wish you had saved more and got what you really wanted.

Boy was he right. I delayed buying my newest acquisition, a BMW 550i until I could get the right one with all the features I wanted and the big V8 in it. Had I purchased a 525 or even a 535 I know I would have pulled up to a 550i and wondered if I should have waited to find one in my price range or saved more money. :dance:

I dunno, I'd love to have a 911 Turbo one day. I was drooling over one in the showroom when I picked up my Boxster. However, I'm VERY happy with my Boxster.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredsporty
ill bet i hold the "mature" record because today i got my 1st boxster/porsche. im 64 yrs old, but im in great shape for myage and will kick your butt if you dont believe me he he. i wonder who is the oldest that still owns a boxster. hmmmmm??
I will match your record and raise you one year.
I was 64 ¾ when I got my first Boxster (Porsche).
Almost 66 now.
I will admit I have owned everything else over the years though.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #52

When did you decide you wanted one? I was 19 reading Motor Trend back in 1978. The article was a road test and introduction of the new front Engine 928 driving along Int 95 in Florida. After reading the article I've followed Porsche ever since. At that time I was a young private in the Army and in no financial means of buying one. At this point the 928 was still my dream car but slowly going towards the 924 Carrera GT but the car was not available in the US. In 1981 again Porsche introduced a new car the 944. People waited for 18 months to get their hands on one. It was a big step and improvement over the regular 924. Again the 928 was still my dream car. In 1985 Porsche introduced the 944 turbo aka 951. They had a great commercial and fell in love with the car and I had to have one. This car pushed me away from the 928. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-LZfLS_ln4 Could have been a great Boxster commercial too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvTVk0doJJM&feature=related

How long did it take to finally purchase it? 15 years of drooling over Porsche I finally bought one. It was right after we bought our second house we finally had the extra money for one. This was in 1993 and I finally bought my dream car a 1987 944 turbo. I was the 2nd owner and had 41k miles on it. My happiness could not be measured as it was out of the scale. I babied that car for 9 years till I wrecked it in 2002. No I did not buy my 986 s yet as a replacement but I drooloed over that car since introduction. I bought another 944 turbo only this time it was the highly sought after 1988 turbo S. I had to fly to Seattle to get this one and yes I paid a premium for this at that time. In 2003 my brother bought a new Boxster base (tip) that I got to drive every time I went to Hawaii. Man did I fall in love with this car. Specially the Engine sound and the way it drove. I even turned off the radio just to be able to listen to that Engine tone. I was hooked and I had to have one. After sending 3 kids to College and two of them to Med school after that I was done with college tuition and had extra money for my 2nd Porsche which I've been wanting for a longtime. This is when I bought the 02 Boxster S that my wife now drives. Both cars are not daily drivers.

I was 35 when I bought my 1st Porsche, 44 when I bought my 2nd and 48 when I bought the Boxster S.

I don't think I would do anything different. My Priorities was first and bought all my Porsche cars when the time was right. No car payments or lease.

Stick to your priorities. Family priorities, Education, Career. Keep these areas in check and your dreams come true. At least that's what I did and got me to where I am.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:42 AM   #53

I remember swimming around in the dark and then... Bam! All of a sudden it was very bright and cold. I was 3 seconds old. I started to cry because I didn't have one yet (that and the fact that I was naked).

30 Years. I was having a mid-mid-life crisis. When I was younger (18-21), I remeber thinking that I needed one now, while I was young enough to enjoy it. Funny to look back now, because when I was 18, I would have destroyed it, lost my license, killed myself or worse, someone else.

30. Much older now... 31.

No, it was worth the wait for me. School, career, marriage, house, kids, etc. are all more important than a car. I think being established is more of an important immeadiate investment.

Why wait? Take what you have saved, hide it under your mattress. Buy a used Box in good shape, finance the whole thing. Money is cheap right now and it is a buyers market. 2 months from now when you need new tires and your clutch took a dump, just dig under your mattress.

Then again, what the hell do I know? I'm the idiot that waited 30 years.
randoodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 06:39 PM   #54

I was 17 years old and purchased a new 1976 930. In its day, the 930 (Turbo Carrera) was an incredibly swift car and was one of the nicest Porsche's I ever owned. I have owned 9 Porsches in the last 33 years, and my advice is that I would never buy a car believing that I will own it for ever, or that it will be a future classic. Some of the cars made today may be future classics, but not in our lifetime. Don't buy a car to garage it, but rather buy it to drive and enjoy it. Why be a caretaker to preserve history?
vincesf

Last edited by vincesf; 01-30-2009 at 06:43 PM.
vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:22 AM   #55

Always liked Porsche from a young age - don't really know when though.

Finally bought my 1998 Boxster in Ocean Blue in July 2008 after the ex told me that she wanted the Ford Cougar! Started looking in May and researched everything I needed to know to buy a good one. And touch wood (hand to head) I have not had any problems so far!

I was 31 then and am 31 now.

At the time no. But in hindsight I would have saved a little more and maybe gone for a 2.7 or S

Patience, patience, patience. Buy the one you want after serious research into what to look out for.
smeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:16 AM   #56

Always liked Porsche from a young age - don't really know when though. Probably seeing the 911 turbo in Bad Boys and my mates 993.

Bought my boxster in Jan 09

24 and 24.

Waited till i was older as insurance is a nightmare!

If you want it.. get it.. but do your homework. I bought a boxster as i wanted a porsche but i really wanted a 996 C2, i could never insure one at 24 so plan to wait a few years with the 986 and see if i can get a 996 C2s or a 997 C2 later.. of if i have a better job a 996 turbo.
Adam_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:49 PM   #57

Early on. Grew up in a Ford family so worked my way through Mustangs and a Taurus SHO, but was always a fan.

Just picked mine up last year, so that would be 21 years.

16 then. 37 now.

Not really. I wasn't even seriously considering it until a friend of mine that had the car called me and reminded me of all the times that I told him if he ever wanted to sell it let me know. Well he had just bought a Harley and said that in convertible weather he would rather ride the bike so if I was still interested he would sell. Only had 18k miles and had been babied to the point of having the wheel wells wiped clean after each infrequent drive. Because I know it was taken care of and it was all black (which is what all my cars have been and always will be) it was a no-brainer.

Careful what you wish for. One of my best friends in California bought a Boxster when he moved out there and loved it. Had it in for service and called me saying he was on the sales floor drooling over a 911 Carrera convertible. Called me later that night from the new 911 having a blast. Sold the car 3 months later. After the initial adrenaline rush, he came to realize that he liked the Boxster a whole lot more. Costly impulse buy.
bkiersz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:27 PM   #58

Hey

I was 20 yrs old, junior in college when I bought mine. It was my third car, my first car was a 2001 vw GTI and my last car was a 2003 VW GTI.

I was considering getting a 2001 Mercedes CLK 55 or 2004 Audi S4 but thought I should buy something special, not the run of the mill sedan or coupe.

It took 1 yr and several failed deals, driving up and down california, test driving 40 cars till I found the right one. Initiatly I was looking for an 02 with low miles but I ended up with an 01.

I got my car from the president of PCA in zone 7 of california. It was a concours car with 18K miles in 2006 ( when I got it).

Im now 23 and the car has 31,400 miles on it, cool mods, no problems (knock on wood), and I service it myself (its fun).

I will be going to med school abroad and will keep the car in the garage till Im back. cant see myself selling it after all the fun I have had. Plus with todays market it wont be worth it.
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps

Last edited by Stunin_Stud; 02-11-2009 at 04:29 PM.
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #59

Garage
just after the Ark landed

I was barely out of diapers... well 16 when i recognized my first Porsche and fell in love... its been a long 38 year wait since then before i finally was able to park one in the garage last november.

now just waiting for the snow to leave..

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 05:13 PM   #60
Porsche "Purist"

Garage

2 days later.

How old were you then, and now?
23 then, 57 now

I would have kept it.

Just get it and enjoy it, life is too short not to have toys.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote