View Single Post
Old 01-28-2009, 06:39 AM   #42
Gougoushu

Great question!

I have gorgeous memories of riding in the back of Dad's 356 cars in the 60's. Until '69, when he had a head-on collision with a Buick and spent 2 weeks in the hospital.

When the beautiful Cayman came out, I test drove one: I was in love. And it was silver w/red interior, just like early Porsches. Suddenly my Acura RSX wasn't so exciting anymore.

But the Caymans were too much $. I started Boxster-shopping as a compromise. One Sunday I made a low bid on a Silver/Red Boxster w/87K miles on ebay that needed work, but had no reserve [meaning no minimum price]. Thought my bid was too low, but suddenly it was mine. The colors, the vintage smell, the nostalgia. It took about $2k to get it roadworthy.

Many here are telling you to save up & buy a low mileage car. Or wait and save for the ultimate dream car [easy to say when you already have it]. That is good general advice, but not necessarily right for everyone.

For example, some of us like the vintage aspect. Also, if you have time and willingness to learn to make repairs yourself, the lower cost of an older model can get you in-Boxster sooner, and might be worth the elevated risk of more repairs per mile. If you are 19, like your name suggests, it might be hard to wait! With forums like this, renntech, boxa.net, etc. you can get info, download service manuals, etc. There are usually some early 986 Boxsters being parted out on Ebay, ebay.uk, and ebay deutschland, and many dismantlers around the U.S..

I'll never forget my brother & I, then 16, looking at a green 356 with rusted out floors in March 1975. It was $500, and we passed on it. I still regret it. :ah:

Last edited by Gougoushu; 02-23-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote