View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #52
cas951

When did you decide you wanted one? I was 19 reading Motor Trend back in 1978. The article was a road test and introduction of the new front Engine 928 driving along Int 95 in Florida. After reading the article I've followed Porsche ever since. At that time I was a young private in the Army and in no financial means of buying one. At this point the 928 was still my dream car but slowly going towards the 924 Carrera GT but the car was not available in the US. In 1981 again Porsche introduced a new car the 944. People waited for 18 months to get their hands on one. It was a big step and improvement over the regular 924. Again the 928 was still my dream car. In 1985 Porsche introduced the 944 turbo aka 951. They had a great commercial and fell in love with the car and I had to have one. This car pushed me away from the 928. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-LZfLS_ln4 Could have been a great Boxster commercial too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvTVk0doJJM&feature=related

How long did it take to finally purchase it? 15 years of drooling over Porsche I finally bought one. It was right after we bought our second house we finally had the extra money for one. This was in 1993 and I finally bought my dream car a 1987 944 turbo. I was the 2nd owner and had 41k miles on it. My happiness could not be measured as it was out of the scale. I babied that car for 9 years till I wrecked it in 2002. No I did not buy my 986 s yet as a replacement but I drooloed over that car since introduction. I bought another 944 turbo only this time it was the highly sought after 1988 turbo S. I had to fly to Seattle to get this one and yes I paid a premium for this at that time. In 2003 my brother bought a new Boxster base (tip) that I got to drive every time I went to Hawaii. Man did I fall in love with this car. Specially the Engine sound and the way it drove. I even turned off the radio just to be able to listen to that Engine tone. I was hooked and I had to have one. After sending 3 kids to College and two of them to Med school after that I was done with college tuition and had extra money for my 2nd Porsche which I've been wanting for a longtime. This is when I bought the 02 Boxster S that my wife now drives. Both cars are not daily drivers.

How old where you then, and now?
I was 35 when I bought my 1st Porsche, 44 when I bought my 2nd and 48 when I bought the Boxster S.

Is there anything you would have done differently?
I don't think I would do anything different. My Priorities was first and bought all my Porsche cars when the time was right. No car payments or lease.

Quick word of advice for a young person trying to save for one?
Stick to your priorities. Family priorities, Education, Career. Keep these areas in check and your dreams come true. At least that's what I did and got me to where I am.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote