Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #41

Owned 2, Probably most reliable cars I've ever had

I'm 67. Owned cars made by at least a dozen car manufacturers over the last 50 years and 100Ks of miles. Probably 30 cars by the time you count all my family has owned.

My 2 Porsche Boxster 986s, over a total of 6 years, have cost me less than $700 in unscheduled maintenance and never left me stranded. Could I have a major problem tomorrow, sure could. So could any car. But, compared to the 3 other sports cars I've owned (or even the sedans and vans and wagons), the Boxsters have had far and away the fewest trips to a mechanic per month of ownership of any brand I've owned.

I've documented what I consider to be the buying considerations in detail including the best and worst features and the common problem areas as well as the model year differences.

I've also commented frequently on how my experience has been positive.

Is it the car for everyone? No. It is a sports car and will be more expensive to maintain especially if you can't do some of the simple work yourself. And if it has a major engine or transmission failure, it will be more expensive than a Toyota to repair. You shouldn't buy one if you can't afford the potential repair bills. Just like you shouldn't buy a house if you can't afford the potential repair bills. It is only common sense.

And many Boxsters are getting just plain old ... 13 years old in some cases. You don't buy an older car with the same expectations of reliability as with a newer car. And of course newer cars probably have a warranty.

But I bought 2 Boxsters where I was the third owner of each. Well used in each case. My first had no repairs before I totaled it after only 6 months by driving on summer tires when it was too cold. Couldn't stop. My second I've owned for ~5 years now and it hasn't had anything done to it in the last ~3 years but an oil change each year and an Oxygen sensor I elected to change....didn't need to..no CEL.

Tires more expensive than for my Honda..you bet. But the Oxygen sensor for the Porsche was cheaper than the one for the Honda... and the Honda needed one 10k earlier in terms of miles on the engine.

I didn't buy new nor pay near full price when I did buy, cheap for the fun I've had in them. I drive the trash to the dump in it and volunteer to go to the grocery store...and my wife knows I'll always take the longest way to the furthest store.

If it failed tomorrow, I'd get it rebuilt. Probably cost me more than I paid for the car because I'd want everything possible done to the car. I wouldn't whine or go looking to blame. Stuff happens.

It was my decision to buy, and I accept the risk of owning an older ('01 in my case) sports car with some by now known design issues. I rationalize every car has some, I just happen to know all about the one I own because I frequent the online forums.

It sits waiting in the garage, and every time I walk by it I run my hands over its flanks. And every time I take it out, I get some favorable comment about it (and it is nothing special, just a 9 year old car in the most common color, Arctic Silver)

Now if the weather gets warm like it is supposed to, it will go out with its top down this weekend and I'll enjoy the heck out of it. It sits waiting.

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
My 2 Porsche Boxster 986s, over a total of 6 years, have cost me less than $700 in unscheduled maintenance and never left me stranded.
You really know a lot more about picking choice used Porsches than the average guy like myself. My car has cost me nearly ten grand in repairs, and it had a reconditioned motor put in it weeks before I purchased it.

I budget $1500.00 a year for repairs, and most years I spend every dime of that and more. Readers of this thread should not get the impression that Boxsters are cheap to own long-term. They're far more expensive than other kinds of cars owned, unless you're coming down from a Ferrari, Maserati, or Lamborghini.

There is a bright spot though. My Porsche repairs make my BMW repairs look like a bargain.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovely09
Things to know before buying a Boxster

1.Speaking of Carfax reports,they are total crap.Neither showed up on the Carfax. Get one though for title info.
2.Your PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) should include a 4-wheel, laser alignment.
3.Boxsters eat tires and brakes and brake discs.
4. Find a reputable Porsche mechanic before you take possession of your out of warranty Boxster.
It's like dejavu, except when I wrote these they appeared as #6, 7, 8, and 9:

http://www.iwantaporsche.net/BoxsterBuyersTips.htm
Old 04-08-2010, 04:42 PM   #44

I've read this thread, but it's unclear about whether most of the major problems are limited to 986s or whether they continue with the 987s. Does anyone have any idea?

I would really like one and I think I can afford a used '06 model or so, using Edmunds' true cost of ownership.
amcdonal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #45

Ref "Things to know before buying a Boxster

You have a nice website with good info.

I plan to take your advise and visit Autozone and have them plug in OBD to check my problem below. Good thing, lets hope, is that I still am under warranty as "certified pre-owned"

Thx for your info.

Ray

*My 2006 Boxster S check engine light came on yesterday and it said visit workshop. Then later that day, the engine starting to almost stall in 1st and 2nd gear. Then this morning when I turned it on, a white/blue smoke with very very bad smell (like rotton egg/sulfur) came out of exhaust for about 5 min and engine would stutter up and down almost stalling. Called the dealer and they said have it towed in! Believe it may be a bad CAT. I think I may be able to drive it in vs. tow it? Anyone experience this type of problem before?

Thanks and can't wait to get my boxster back on the road! Just bought it Feb 2010.

Ray
Ray Hudgens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 07:29 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcdonal86
I've read this thread, but it's unclear about whether most of the major problems are limited to 986s or whether they continue with the 987s. Does anyone have any idea?

I would really like one and I think I can afford a used '06 model or so, using Edmunds' true cost of ownership.
The guy to talk to about this is Jake Raby. I have read (in print in Excellence Magazine) that the RMS leaks still exist.... of course, they're not nearly as common in cars with a tiptronic tranny from what I read on forums.

Jake could tell you about the IMS issues for sure, but I believe they are still a problem considering the motor design didn't change much, just the displacement.

Don't forget though that every Porsche model through the years has had some sort of motor issue that must be dealt with and none if them are going to be as cheap to own or "maintenance free" as a Toyota, which we've all gotten used to in short order.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:59 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefocke
I'm 67. Owned cars made by at least a dozen car manufacturers over the last 50 years and 100Ks of miles. Probably 30 cars by the time you count all my family has owned.

My 2 Porsche Boxster 986s, over a total of 6 years, have cost me less than $700 in unscheduled maintenance and never left me stranded. Could I have a major problem tomorrow, sure could. So could any car. But, compared to the 3 other sports cars I've owned (or even the sedans and vans and wagons), the Boxsters have had far and away the fewest trips to a mechanic per month of ownership of any brand I've owned.

I've documented what I consider to be the buying considerations in detail including the best and worst features and the common problem areas as well as the model year differences.

I've also commented frequently on how my experience has been positive.

Is it the car for everyone? No. It is a sports car and will be more expensive to maintain especially if you can't do some of the simple work yourself. And if it has a major engine or transmission failure, it will be more expensive than a Toyota to repair. You shouldn't buy one if you can't afford the potential repair bills. Just like you shouldn't buy a house if you can't afford the potential repair bills. It is only common sense.

And many Boxsters are getting just plain old ... 13 years old in some cases. You don't buy an older car with the same expectations of reliability as with a newer car. And of course newer cars probably have a warranty.

But I bought 2 Boxsters where I was the third owner of each. Well used in each case. My first had no repairs before I totaled it after only 6 months by driving on summer tires when it was too cold. Couldn't stop. My second I've owned for ~5 years now and it hasn't had anything done to it in the last ~3 years but an oil change each year and an Oxygen sensor I elected to change....didn't need to..no CEL.

Tires more expensive than for my Honda..you bet. But the Oxygen sensor for the Porsche was cheaper than the one for the Honda... and the Honda needed one 10k earlier in terms of miles on the engine.

I didn't buy new nor pay near full price when I did buy, cheap for the fun I've had in them. I drive the trash to the dump in it and volunteer to go to the grocery store...and my wife knows I'll always take the longest way to the furthest store.

If it failed tomorrow, I'd get it rebuilt. Probably cost me more than I paid for the car because I'd want everything possible done to the car. I wouldn't whine or go looking to blame. Stuff happens.

It was my decision to buy, and I accept the risk of owning an older ('01 in my case) sports car with some by now known design issues. I rationalize every car has some, I just happen to know all about the one I own because I frequent the online forums.

It sits waiting in the garage, and every time I walk by it I run my hands over its flanks. And every time I take it out, I get some favorable comment about it (and it is nothing special, just a 9 year old car in the most common color, Arctic Silver)

Now if the weather gets warm like it is supposed to, it will go out with its top down this weekend and I'll enjoy the heck out of it. It sits waiting.
Curious how many miles are on your 01.
dm1270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:14 AM   #48
Dale Steyn

Neither, buy American. I' sure you have noticed the changes in the cost of items ranging from food to property tax. Well if you have ever complained about this, or wondered why prices were going though the ceiling, it has partly to do with the fact that nobody is buying American products. This leads to America producing less products, and a shrinking economy.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #49

front of the rear wheel well?

Does anyone know the name of the part that is on the front portion of the rear wheel well?
WalterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 05:59 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterB
Does anyone know the name of the part that is on the front portion of the rear wheel well?

mud flap / Mud guard ?
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #51

boxster tire pressure

I recently purchased a used 2001 boxster and notice the front tire pressure to be exactly half of what is mentioned in the book 14.5 psi on each tires in the front and 18 psi on each tires on the back.

The Manual states 29 for the front and 36 for the rear. I think it mean the psi is for each tires and not the sum of both tires

What should it be ?

Thanks
Old 08-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
I think it mean the psi is for each tires and not the sum of both tires

What should it be ?

Tire pressure is for each individual tire. It is not summed. Follow what your owner's manual says for each tire.
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #53

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Tire pressure is for each individual tire. It is not summed. Follow what your owner's manual says for each tire.

Thanks a lot !!!
Old 08-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #54

Don't think - just let it happen...

and if you have bad experiences, its part of the ride. Move on and get over it. I've had my 99 for 10 years now and is a daily driver. My biggest one time expense was $1000 bucks. Pretty darn great if you ask me. I've gotta say that this is one awesome forum and had provided me with lots of $ saving tips. Even if I didn't DIY, its ok to pay the extra $ to not get your hands dirty and have someone else do it for u. I'm currently in the market for a Ferrari. I'm on Ferrari Chat and its funny to see similar patterns of thinking when buying extraordinary cars. Wow - folks sure like to overthink things. Well not me - apart from doing your due diligence, you've gotta stop at some point and take the leap of faith. Life's too short mate...so good luck and may the force be with you!

-enzo
Old 08-17-2010, 06:47 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by lejolierogue
and if you have bad experiences, its part of the ride. Move on and get over it. I've had my 99 for 10 years now and is a daily driver. My biggest one time expense was $1000 bucks.
-enzo
Er, easy for you to say since you've obviously never suffered a major problem with you car. Come back with that cheery attitude after your engine has just grenaded and you literally cannot afford to replace it and I will duly doff my cap. If you've either never suffered a major problem or wouldn't really struggle to pay for it (I'm guessing both apply to you if you are Ferrari shopping), it's a bit harsh to lecture people for whom these problems are much more critical!

I agree that a leap of faith has to be made - I made one on my Box big time (so far, so good). But I absolutely wouldn't criticise anyone for being nervous about their car or upset when it fails. There but for the grace of god etc.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:42 AM   #56

Not lecturing anyone but motivating the human spirit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pothole
Er, easy for you to say since you've obviously never suffered a major problem with you car. Come back with that cheery attitude after your engine has just grenaded and you literally cannot afford to replace it and I will duly doff my cap. If you've either never suffered a major problem or wouldn't really struggle to pay for it (I'm guessing both apply to you if you are Ferrari shopping), it's a bit harsh to lecture people for whom these problems are much more critical!

I agree that a leap of faith has to be made - I made one on my Box big time (so far, so good). But I absolutely wouldn't criticise anyone for being nervous about their car or upset when it fails. There but for the grace of god etc.
--->
I'm by no means lecturing anyone. Just motivating ->

And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and drive that sports car that you've always dreamed about...

Think about it!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM   #57

As much as I'd love to drive a Bugatti Veyron on that closed course with the 5 mile straightaway featured on Top Gear, I would not trade all my days from this day forward to death to enjoy that hour or so of driving bliss.

Sports cars are thrilling indeed. But what I'd much rather trade all my forward days for is seeing everyone on the planet come to know God's love in a very personal and transformational way. If I experienced that, I'd be happy to drop dead right now in my office chair at 48 years of age.

I don't mean to change the spirit or intent of your question lejolierogue, but I thought I'd just answer it honestly since you asked.
Old 10-02-2010, 12:44 AM   #58

IMS/RMS Preemptive Strike

So i'm about to buy my first Boxster. I've been looking at '00s -'02s. It looks like for my budget my car with have somewhere between 50k-80k on it. So I already know i would probably have to get the big 60k service done.

I have to admit the IMS problem is scaring me (i'm not so concerned with the RMS failure).

Should I consider getting the RMS/IMS/Clutch done as well as some kind of preemptive strike against the failure even though they could be fine. From what I see the IMS replacement is usually done with superior parts than those fitted from new so the chance of failure post changing are slim to none.

I plan to keep the car for 7+ years and will do at least 6k-7k p/y on average so spending $3k now would be easier to swallow that spending $15k whenever these problems occur.

Has anyone done or even considered this?

Do we see more failures on the base model rather than the 'S' model?

thanks
BMAN_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:01 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMAN_986
Should I consider getting the RMS/IMS/Clutch done as well as some kind of preemptive strike against the failure even though they could be fine. From what I see the IMS replacement is usually done with superior parts than those fitted from new so the chance of failure post changing are slim to none.

Do we see more failures on the base model rather than the 'S' model?
As you do more of your research on this forum and others related to Boxsters, you'll find that there are more than a few that have, for peace of mind, chosen to do the clutch/IMS/RMS "pre-emptively". For the mileage you're considering, the clutch could likely be due anyways.

The IMS bearing can be done with "superior" parts, or it could be done with the original parts. In the case of the original part, personally I wouldn't use it as it's already known to fail. In the case of the "superior" part, there isn't enough hard evidence out there to show the problem is permanently eliminated. Until that body of evidence is available, even the makers of the "superior" bearing are recommending it be checked every 50k miles IIRC.

In all my Boxster forum surfing I have not come across anything to make me believe the base or S has more IMS failures. Apparently the automatic tranny does suffer less failures. And Boxster engines don't like to be lugged.

And of course make sure you get a good PPI done before buying.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:49 PM   #60

@clickman ... thanks for the advice.

I managed to find a really nice 2001/67k base model. Have had it checked out by two independent parties. One general inspector, and one Porsche specialist. Both have been impressed in with the car.

I'm getting a 60k service done within the week, the Porsche shop will cut the filter open to see if there is any evidence of IMS failure starting. They also recommended that i do the clutch/RMS/IMS (LN/Ceramic) given the age of the car. Hopefully i should be doing that within 3-4 months (or sooner if there is evidence of a problem).

This is my first real sports car. Have to say, I absolutely love it!

BMAN_986 is offline   Reply With Quote