Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster Racing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #61
Certified Boxster Addict

Sunday at Willow Springs Big Track went both good and bad.

My goals were; (1) Get comfortable with the car; (2) Match my previous best lap time; (3) work on lap consistency. All goals met. I felt comfortable in the car with fire suit, helmet, HANS device, harnesses, cool shirt, roll cage, and window net. I matched my previous best time (1:37) so I hadn't become too rusty while being off the track for several months while the car was being built. And last, then I turned about 20 laps consistently in the 1:38's.

By now, it was almost mid-day and it was starting to get hot and then the car started running poorly - no power over 4K rpm. So, I called it day and drove home slowly. CEL's were P0447 and P0453. Both fuel related (P0447 is the tank vent valve and P053 is the tank pressure switch) and both of these components are from the donor car. I'll investigate further and probably make some repairs this week. Then, back to the track soon!

Oh, one last thing is that I had the track all to myself for two of the four sessions that I ran! Later, two other cars showed up so it was just us three. Here I am alone in the paddock:

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 07:43 PM   #62

The car looks great!

Whaaaat? Alone on the track/paddock? Wow ahhh where do I sign up for this dream world?? Holy crap I think we need to set up a 986 commune track side right there!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:35 AM   #63
Track rat

Garage
Hmmmm,
Tom is your gas tank still vented or did they just terminate all the vent tubing when emission stuff was removed? It sounds like you may be pulling a vacuum on the tank as gas is used, causing the fuel pump to cavitate. One possibility at least.

Sounds like a nice day at the track. I suspect your BSR will soon be in 1:36 territory.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:42 AM   #64
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Hmmmm,
Tom is your gas tank still vented or did they just terminate all the vent tubing when emission stuff was removed? It sounds like you may be pulling a vacuum on the tank as gas is used, causing the fuel pump to cavitate. One possibility at least.

Sounds like a nice day at the track. I suspect your BSR will soon be in 1:36 territory.
Tank is still vented using the stock system in order to pass emissions test and remain street legal. Agree that lack of vent could create a vacuum and result in symptoms that I am seeing. Will investigate.

BTW: Goal is to get into the 1:34's.
1979 911 SC
Old 10-01-2013, 11:54 AM   #65
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
Whaaaat? Alone on the track/paddock? Wow ahhh where do I sign up for this dream world??
This was an "open track test day" where anyone with a race prepared car can show up and drive. There are no formal run groups or sessions - its just open track where you can drive whenever you want and for a long as you want.

Everyone is assumed to have race prepped cars (roll cage, fire extinguisher, race seats/harnesses, window net, etc) and all associated safety equipment (helmet, fire suit, HANS, gloves, shoes, etc) and open passing level driving experience.

On a typical Friday or Saturday open track test day, there can be 30-40 cars but Sunday's usually have very low attendance - a perfect time for me to shake down a car and work on my line without any interference.

I did get some traffic later in the morning - one other boxster spec (which I easily passed) and a Craftsman truck series V8 race truck (who I did not have a chance in catching or passing!).
1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 10-01-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
This was an "open track test day" where anyone with a race prepared car can show up and drive. There are no formal run groups or sessions - its just open track where you can drive whenever you want and for a long as you want.

Everyone is assumed to have race prepped cars (roll cage, fire extinguisher, race seats/harnesses, window net, etc) and all associated safety equipment (helmet, fire suit, HANS, gloves, shoes, etc) and open passing level driving experience.

On a typical Friday or Saturday open track test day, there can be 30-40 cars but Sunday's usually have very low attendance - a perfect time for me to shake down a car and work on my line without any interference.

I did get some traffic later in the morning - one other boxster spec (which I easily passed) and a Craftsman truck series V8 race truck (who I did not have a chance in catching or passing!).
Nice having so much space for shaking it all down.

Race Trucks for craftsmen?...that's just wrong...down right tacky as well...ugh
What do they have for HP 600, 700, 800?
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #67
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb92563 View Post
Nice having so much space for shaking it all down.

Race Trucks for craftsmen?...that's just wrong...down right tacky as well...ugh
What do they have for HP 600, 700, 800?
Sorry, its called the NASCAR Camping World Truck Series now - the old sponsor was Craftsman tools. 3400 lbs with 650hp. It was fast!

1979 911 SC
Old 10-26-2013, 02:40 PM   #68
Certified Boxster Addict

**UPDATE**

Been working through various issues with the replacement chassis. There are quite a few systems that can't be tested when you buy a car that doesn't run. Spent quite a bit of time troubleshooting what ended up to be a faulty fuel tank purge valve and failed carbon canister that wouldn't vent the gas tank properly. Of course, the 99 EVAP system is different than the 99 system so I had to switch back to the 97 ECU to get the right codes to be reported.

Thus far, here is what I've replaced on the replacement chassis:
- Fuel pump (worked but low pressure)
- Clutch master cylinder (leaked badly)
- Fuel purge valve
- Fuel carbon canister
- Fuel cap
- Fuel filter

Everything seems to be running great now and the car passed smog yesterday. It already passed the CA DMV inspection to be street legal so I'll get the new license plates this week.

It was a beautiful day here in LA (sunny and 80F), so while getting ready for the track tomorrow, I did a quick photoshoot;

1979 911 SC

Last edited by thstone; 10-26-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #69

That's one sweet looking car...
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #70
Track rat

Garage
Hey Tom, how did the ice racing go last weekend? It sure looked cold on the Edwards AFB weather station.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #71
Certified Boxster Addict

The temp was in the high 20's druring the early morning drive from LA to Rosamond. With no heater and no windows, I had to wear a lot of layers to keep warm!

Just before the first session, there were snow flurries visible which turned into a steady rain once the session started. Lots of slipping and sliding around, especially for the guys running Hoosier and Michelin slicks. I was glad that I still had windshield wipers and Toyo RA-1's with at least DOT tread!

By mid-morning the track was dry and speeds were fast - just had to be patient to get the tires fully up to temp. A couple of Spec Boxster's were doing 1:33-1:34 lap times.

The wind kicked up in the afternoon and for a short while was blowing hard enough to create a sand storm at the Turn 9 apex. I went through Turn 9 twice completely blinded by the sand!

Sunday was again cold in the morning but the remainder of the day was sunny and near perfect conditions to set a fast lap time.

At the end of the POC racer's clinic we had our first race and with two laps left I put two wheels off in Turn 9 when attempting a pass for the BSR lead. Dang, I really wanted to win.

Overall fun, fun, fun. But a little cold too.
1979 911 SC
Old 01-01-2014, 09:17 AM   #72

Tom? Did you hear Nathan ran a 32.5 on that Friday? I was doing his tire temps and pressures for him and he comes into the hot pits yelling through his helmet and pointing at his lap timer!!

Holy crap!! 32.5!!

That weekend was stupid cold.. I went back a week later for testing and it was 64deg.
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:47 AM   #73
Certified Boxster Addict

Yes, I heard about Nathan's 32.5 and Alex Bermudez' 33.4. That is fast, fast, fast!

And WTF? As soon as I move up to BSR everyone else decides to get 3 sec's faster?

Alex and I are going out to WSIR on Sunday for some testing and for me to work on my times!
1979 911 SC
Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 PM   #74
Certified Boxster Addict

Here are a few pic's from testing at Willow Springs. Final POC racing clinic this coming weekend - then I start official wheel to wheel racing the first weekend in February!

1979 911 SC
Old 01-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #75

Awesome!!!

You smiling and out front, good on you!

I envy all the fun you'll be having.

That sort of speed is still scary for me, but I suppose just like spinning out the Boxster in Auto-X and thinking no big deal, it just takes some getting used to.

Must get the adrenaline flowing though in any case.
Short Shifter, Touch Screen Dual Din Radio, 03 4 Bow glass Top (DD & Auto-X since May 17,2012)
jb92563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:48 AM   #76

Garage
T-Man,
Great pics - car looks amazing! what a great story its been from the sorry wreck when it got rear ended whilst parked to this!

Congrats
Old 01-28-2014, 11:59 AM   #77
Certified Boxster Addict

The story gets better!

I just finished the two required POC Cup Racing clinic's (one in Dec and one in Jan), so I am now the proud holder of a POC provisional racing license! My first real wheel to wheel race will be in two weeks.

I'll post some video from the race at the clinic in the next couple of days.
1979 911 SC
Old 01-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #78
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
The story gets better!

I just finished the two required POC Cup Racing clinic's (one in Dec and one in Jan), so I am now the proud holder of a POC provisional racing license! My first real wheel to wheel race will be in two weeks.

Bravo! Now go give Alex the business!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #79

Garage
Quote:
The story gets better!

Congratulations That's quite the accomplishment, Looking forward to the video!
iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 10:35 AM   #80
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceH View Post
Congratulations That's quite the accomplishment, Looking forward to the video!
Check out the video here: http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-racing-forum/50561-poc-race-clinic-video.html#post384145

1979 911 SC