Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2019, 08:19 AM   #1

Runs/Drives, But no power, 5 mph max

I have a 2000 Boxster. It currently runs and drives, but will only crawl around, 5 mph max. Won't rev over 1500 rpm or so.

6 months ago, the alarm under the seat got flooded. I have had battery drain issues ever since, so could be related. I disconnect the battery sometimes, I found disconnecting it every month or so would prevent battery drain issues. I cleaned the alarm module with alcohol after it got flooded, seemed fine, but something is off still.

No power issue might not be related to the alarm issue.

I am thinking maybe throttle body? I did a quick search for this issue, but I didn't find anything similar.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
dave_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:40 AM   #2

Garage
You need to read the codes, including the Porsche-specific ones and report which ones are triggered.
2015 Chevrolet Volt
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM   #3
1998 Boxster Silver/Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_r View Post
I have a 2000 Boxster. It currently runs and drives, but will only crawl around, 5 mph max. Won't rev over 1500 rpm or so.

6 months ago, the alarm under the seat got flooded. I have had battery drain issues ever since, so could be related. I disconnect the battery sometimes, I found disconnecting it every month or so would prevent battery drain issues. I cleaned the alarm module with alcohol after it got flooded, seemed fine, but something is off still.

No power issue might not be related to the alarm issue.

I am thinking maybe throttle body? I did a quick search for this issue, but I didn't find anything similar.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.
Who are you? An intro would be nice. Maybe a pic.

"Ignore the guilt, and take your turn"
Starter986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #4
On the slippery slope

Garage
Sounds like limp mode
2013 C300, 2010 Jetta 2011 Mazda 3, 1998 Windstar - Dog van , 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:02 PM   #5

Yeah, I googled around, I'm thinking definitely limp mode. I didn't even know that was a thing.

It had a P 1502 code I believe, throttle body spring or something like that, so I put a good used throttle body in it from DC Auto. No change, so I googled more and found out about limp mode.

How do I get it out of limp mode? I'll start looking for answers now as well.
dave_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:49 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
This person was having the same fault code. You can read through the whole thread, but this was the ending.

Quote:
Okay, Time for an update.

Sent my DME unit as well as the security(?) box (under the seat) off to Specialized ECU Repair. ECUdoctors.com. Excellent group of people.

They checked my system and told me that they could not get it to replicate the condition on their system. I rec'd everything back yesterday afternoon, reinstalled the boxes, turned on the key, performed the throttle adaptation, and problem gone.

The only thing that I can think of is that there may have been a loose or bad connection on the box under the seat. And looking back, the problem started when my girlfriend was taking it to the store. So maybe when she adjusted the seat up, a connector was just loose enough to cause an issue?

I wish I had a definitive answer, I do not like intermittent problems. But for now my trips to project meetings will be a lot more enjoyable.

Thank you everyone for your input!
https://www.renntech.org/topic/40618-fault-code-p1502/?tab=comments#comment-220763