Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2006, 03:53 PM   #1

Question about pricing on 2005 leftovers

A local dealer has a new 2005 Boxster S available. It's sticker price is listed at $64,045. What kind of discounting can I expect on this car? Also, the car comes with the following options:
692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
P15 - Power Seat Package
P74 - Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
680 - Bose Surround Sound System
M6Z - Floor Mats Interior Color
342 - Heated Front Seats
C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
PPB - Preferred Package Plus
982 - Supple Leather Front and Rear
551 - Porsche Windstop (Deflector)
403 - 19" Carrera S Wheel
P12 - Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
Are there any other options on 2005 models that are must haves?
Thanks.

Old 03-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #2
bmussatti

You should be able to buy this car for 18-20% off MSRP including the $795 for delivery.

So a good deal would be ($64,045 assuming delivery is in this price) $52,517-$51,236.

Good luck!

Must have options, IMHO, would include heated seats, Bose w/windstop. Nice to have Bi-Xenon. I think power seats ($1,550) and climate control ($550) are a waste of money.

Your car looks very nicely equiped!
Old 03-01-2006, 04:32 PM   #3

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecwfan
Are there any other options on 2005 models that are must haves?
Thanks.

Be sure to inquire about the "getaway" option 495b.

It includes a steering wheel mounted red button that when pushed, releases oil behind the rear bumper to the roadway. Evidently thier standard on the Batmobile, and General Lee, just on the Boxster it's an option.

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 09:46 AM   #4

I would evaluate it this way:

PPB is a package that encompasses the following for @ $5,000.00:
446 - Wheel Caps with Colored Crest
P12 - Self-Dim Mirrors & Rain Sensor
680 - Bose Surround Sound System
P74 - Bi-Xenon Headlamp Package
342 - Heated Front Seats
M6Z - Floor Mats Interior Color
551 - Porsche Windstop (Deflector)

C02 - U.S. Standard/Emissions - Obviously not even an option

In my opinion the following options are needlessly running up your price. Porsche options aren't generally easy to install/remove after build but I think you're in a position where you can more easily dictate terms on a car the dealer would like to unload:

692 - Remote CD Changer (6 Disc)
Do you actually listen to CDs? From personal experience I've found all OEM CD changers to be overpriced and not reliable. Plan on replacing this in three years with a new one (hopefully under warranty), if we're even listening to CDs in three years. If the dealer won't steeply discount for this option I'd have the dealer remove this. (Saving $650.00).

P15 - Power Seat Package - Despite limited adjustment capability I thinkthat you won't have a problem finding a good seating position with the standard adjustment.

982 - Supple Leather Front and Rear
Front and rear of what? the seats? Seats already have supple leather on the front, supple leather on the back adds llittle value and is likely to wear worse.

403 - 19" Carrera S Wheel
Unless you love this wheel pattern, you're getting yourself into a heavier wheel that's tougher to find and more expensive to replace the tires for, may compromise ride quality, and look very similar to the standard S wheels. One boarder with this wheel has posted about getting out of them. If the dealer won't steeply discount the price of these wheels, I'd have them swap these out with 18s from another S. (Saving $1,550)

I'd push for this deal at least
53000 MSRP
Less ten percent or so for model year.
+ 5000 for the PPB and other options.

$53000.

As far as your original question, from what I've heard, PASM adds alot of value.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #5

When Pioneer was closing out their last two 2005 models they had them for about $5000 to $7000 off sticker price.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:24 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to bhduxbury
the key -- let the dealer know in no uncertain terms that this model is lacking options you want and has many options you don't want and don't need "after doing some research" -- make up a list of both what you want and don't want -- emphasis on "make it up" (out of whole cloth -- i.e. lie where applicable; he would lie about the benefits (exaggerate) of various options to make the sale at his price, imho) -- let the dealer know you don't REALLY want this car -- but will "settle" for it at the right price -- then dispassionately and relentlessly aim for the prices the others have thoughtfully listed above -- you are doing him a favor taking this interest-churning machine off their lot -- if you are seen as a motivated buyer you won't get near those prices -- save any and all outward displays of lust until after you sign -- and be prepared to walk away; the first step out the door might get you that price -- good luck! you will love this car or one like it in the end!

Last edited by bhduxbury; 03-02-2006 at 05:41 PM.
bhduxbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 05:38 PM   #7
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhduxbury
the key -- let the dealer know in no uncertain terms that this model is lacking options you want and has many options you don't want and don't need "after doing some research" -- make up a list of both what you want and don't want (out of whole cloth -- i.e. lie where applicable; he would lie about the benefits (exaggerate) to make the sale at his price, imho) -- let the dealer know you don't REALLY want this car -- but will "settle" for it at the right price -- then dispassionately and relentlessly aim for the prices the others have thoughtfully listed above -- if you are seen as a motivated buyer you won't get them -- save any and all outward displays of lust until after you sign -- and be prepared to walk away; the first step out the door might get you that price -- good luck! you will love this car in the end!

Good advice bhduxbery. Having "walking power" is a strong negotiating tool. One other thing to mention to this dealer, is that there are a lot of 2005's in the east coast (do a search on Porsch's web site, and you'll see) and that you are willing to buy a different left-over, even it it is out of state.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
One other thing to mention to this dealer, is that there are a lot of 2005's in the east coast (do a search on Porsch's web site, and you'll see) and that you are willing to buy a different left-over, even it it is out of state.
Yep, as bmussatti knows full well, I drove about 5 hours to pick my left over 2005 to obtain that 18% discount.

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:22 AM   #9

Keep us posted. I'm interested to see how low they'll go.
My experience in Sept 05 of purchasing a new Box (not an S) was almost "do you want it or don't you? If not there are others who do."
This was probably part strategy and part reality of the LA market. I walked away from a Box, and returned the next weekend to find it gone.
I got the price marked down on the one i ultimately bought, but not 18%
TVC15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 11:27 AM   #10
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15
Keep us posted. I'm interested to see how low they'll go.
My experience in Sept 05 of purchasing a new Box (not an S) was almost "do you want it or don't you? If not there are others who do."
This was probably part strategy and part reality of the LA market. I walked away from a Box, and returned the next weekend to find it gone.
I got the price marked down on the one i ultimately bought, but not 18%

TVC15, if I understand you correctly, that was back in September. Right? Well, it is now 6 months later. That will cause the dealership to be much-much more motivated to move the inventory. In another 5 months 2007's will be showing up!!
Old 04-22-2006, 08:44 PM   #11

What kind of discount do you think one might find now on a Base 2005 Boxster in socal. Browsing some of the dealer's inventory on the internet it seems like there are still a few available? 7 - 10k?
pbadss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #12

discount in LA

I got $9100 off my car back in December in southern CA. the car had 50 miles. As others have said, the key is the power to walk away.

when i called around, most dealers where giving $5k off of ~50K MSRP. which is joke. couple of dealers gave 6k off. one gave 7k off. i offered a dealer $9,100 below msrp, he gives me the "we're losing money" mumbo jumbo so I walked out, staying firm with the offer. 1/2 hour later, he calls to haggle a higher price, i said no. we danced for a couple of phone calls and he caved within 1 hour after i walked out.

my style is that: with any one dealer, do your research, offer one price and stick with it, if they don't bite, you walk away. I don't want to incrementally increase my offer and sit in their office playing mind games, and waste time. they can do the "let me check with my manager" and "you won't buy the car for a few hundred dollars more?" or "how did you come up with this price?" games all they want, i'll walk if they don't come down to my price.

i wasn't in a rush to buy. it helps if you're flexible with the option/color.
coiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 08:52 AM   #13

I purchased a leftover 2005 model. One thing: watch out for the warranty date. A number of these cars are put into service way before you buy them resulting in a warrranty period that may be shorter than 4 years from the date you purchase. It happened to me at Pacific Porsche in So Cal when the active service date wasn't disclosed. They called it an oversight; I call it fraudulent. (only because I asked a couple times about the warranty and they ensured me that even though it was on '05, the warranty, etc was the same as if I were to get an '06.) I called Porsche North America, and they said this is a frequent problem.

I would ask for the VIN number and call Porsche North America (1-800-PORSCHE) and ask them if the car is in service.

And in all fairness to Pacific Porsche, I'll post the outcome to this situation.
laphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 09:18 AM   #14

laphil - how many miles did your 05 have on it when you bought it? had it been a loaner car or dealer driven car before you bought it? it would seem that it wouldn't be registered into service until it officially left the dealer lot (ie, for sale to you or as a loaner car or as a dealer driver, etc)
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #15

Smile

As a dealer, I can tell you that most of what has been offered will not make any positive difference in getting a good price. What will make a difference is to know how much you think the car is worth and how much you can pay. These two numbers are paramount if you to negotiate a good deal for yourself.

In other words, do you homework!

I encourage you to Make a REAL and a FAIR offer and be able to explain to the dealer where you got your number from. If you make an absurd offer, you label yourself as a con man or a flake, In either case, the dealer will write you off and negotiations will likely end.

In the end, the dealer has a number. If you find that number quickly and honorably, and it works for you, you have a fair deal. Most of what has been offered simply allows you to annoy each other and inflame emotions on both sides.

Telling the dealer what you think Boxsters are selling for 3500 miles away does nothing to get you a good deal. Showing him a REAL offer in your region does. Denigrating the car he has while trying to buy it shows you to be dishonest. Why do you expect him to take you seriously if you are wheeling and dealing on a car you really don't want? If you are negotiating, he should assume you really want that car.

Clearly, engaging in tactics both either party does not get you any more quickly to a number you can both live with.

If you work with most folks honestly and in good faith, you will end up happier with the process and the car.

And of course, you should always walk from a deal that does not work for you. I encourage you to know what the walk away number is and why. Then do that if appropriate.

IHMO!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:09 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
laphil - how many miles did your 05 have on it when you bought it? had it been a loaner car or dealer driven car before you bought it? it would seem that it wouldn't be registered into service until it officially left the dealer lot (ie, for sale to you or as a loaner car or as a dealer driver, etc)
It had about 60 miles, and it wasn't a loaner. I was told they just wanted to move it out of the inventory to make room for the '06, and 60 miles on an '05 doesn't seem that unusual, does it?

And you're right, it WOULD seem it wouldn't be registered into survice until it officially left the dealer lot. Not the case, though... and apparently not uncommon.
laphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:14 PM   #17

hmmm - makes me think I should call Hoehn in Carlsbad and verify that my warranty began when I drove the car off the lot in Feb - mine is also an 05 that had 70 miles on it. I'm sure I raised the question while there, but then again, I also expected two keys when I bought the car. They fibbed and said, oh no, you only get one, if you want another you have to order it. well, i checked into it and found out i was right and contacted my sales person who promptly said, oh, yeah, we must of lost it, I'll get ya another one. The other one finally arrived a week and a half ago - of course, not programmed, though. so, back to the drawing board.

do you think i should just call Porsche and inquire about the effective date of my warranty or should i start with the dealership?

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 04-23-2006, 04:35 PM   #18

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
hmmm - makes me think I should call Hoehn in Carlsbad and verify that my warranty began when I drove the car off the lot in Feb - mine is also an 05 that had 70 miles on it. I'm sure I raised the question while there, but then again, I also expected two keys when I bought the car. They fibbed and said, oh no, you only get one, if you want another you have to order it. well, i checked into it and found out i was right and contacted my sales person who promptly said, oh, yeah, we must of lost it, I'll get ya another one. The other one finally arrived a week and a half ago - of course, not programmed, though. so, back to the drawing board.

do you think i should just call Porsche and inquire about the effective date of my warranty or should i start with the dealership?
Call Mike Cooper in the service dept (760-438-4434) and ask him if he would look this up in the service dept data base. They have the REAL date which every Porsche service shop would view when deciding if an item is under warranty. Mike is staight shooter, tell him Rich Belloff suggested the call.

PS-don't call first thing in the morning, they are really busy.

Yes, the car should have two keys!

Duh on some of these salesmen.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:39 PM   #19

thanks rich

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 04-23-2006, 05:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
As a dealer, I can tell you that most of what has been offered will not make any positive difference in getting a good price. What will make a difference is to know how much you think the car is worth and how much you can pay. These two numbers are paramount if you to negotiate a good deal for yourself.

In other words, do you homework!

I encourage you to Make a REAL and a FAIR offer and be able to explain to the dealer where you got your number from. If you make an absurd offer, you label yourself as a con man or a flake, In either case, the dealer will write you off and negotiations will likely end.

In the end, the dealer has a number. If you find that number quickly and honorably, and it works for you, you have a fair deal. Most of what has been offered simply allows you to annoy each other and inflame emotions on both sides.

Telling the dealer what you think Boxsters are selling for 3500 miles away does nothing to get you a good deal. Showing him a REAL offer in your region does. Denigrating the car he has while trying to buy it shows you to be dishonest. Why do you expect him to take you seriously if you are wheeling and dealing on a car you really don't want? If you are negotiating, he should assume you really want that car.

Clearly, engaging in tactics both either party does not get you any more quickly to a number you can both live with.

If you work with most folks honestly and in good faith, you will end up happier with the process and the car.

And of course, you should always walk from a deal that does not work for you. I encourage you to know what the walk away number is and why. Then do that if appropriate.

IHMO!
In some strange way I get where you are coming from - but I still think the current way of buying cars is absolute crap.

You want me to make a REAL and FAIR offer? Why the hell isn't the vehicle priced REAL and FAIRLY to begin with? Why should my negotiating skill or ability to impress some salesman impact my car value? Why should I have FIND that "dealer number"? Why should I have to show him a REAL offer in my region? If I don't do these things I get screwed? That may be the "way it is" - but it's still crap!

I bought a car for my wife this weekend. I spent a few day researching vehicles and then visited 3 dealers and let each dealer know that for the right price I'll buy the car on the spot. My first dealer offered a vehicle $2500-3500 above anything in the market. After we looked over the car and my wife took it for a drive I asked "what's the lowest price you'd let this go for". I got the "well, the price is on the window - once that's on there - it's pretty much what they are willing to let it go for - but, you know, everything is negotiable." My wife looked at me and knew we weren't buying from this doofus. When I pointed out that his price was way out of line with similar vehicles - I got a repeat of his spiel. As I was leaving he approached my Box and asked for our number, "you know, in case we can make a better deal".

We hit another dealer. I went through the same spiel. He came down in price - but was still way out of line for the vehicle. I told him what I'd take it for and I got the old "that's what we bought it for - my manager will laugh at me - I can sell these all day".... Take your pick. I didn't want to hang around while he "went to bat for me with the manager". I walked.

The next dealer we hit already had the vehicle priced right. He wasn't interested in any negotiations since the vehicle was already a great value (about $5000.00 less than the other dealers and spot on for regional value, mileage, and condition). I purchased the vehicle on the spot contigent upon a mechanic inspection and a new stereo (which my wife gets to pick out).

I think it's interesting that you don't condone the "tactics" listed below - but we as customers have to deal with all the dealer tactics. And let me tell you, I've seen 'em all! Dealers over emphasize the positives (and I use that loosely) of their vehicles - but it's not okay for us to point out the negatives? What's up with that? Play down the poor condition of the purchase vehicle - but make a stink about a tiny scratch on my trade in? Take my keys. Move my car. Run my credit when I tell you I have outside financing....

Yeah - we're the ones who are dishonest.

I mean - IMHO!

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote