View Single Post
Old 04-23-2006, 12:31 PM   #15
Brucelee

Smile

As a dealer, I can tell you that most of what has been offered will not make any positive difference in getting a good price. What will make a difference is to know how much you think the car is worth and how much you can pay. These two numbers are paramount if you to negotiate a good deal for yourself.

In other words, do you homework!

I encourage you to Make a REAL and a FAIR offer and be able to explain to the dealer where you got your number from. If you make an absurd offer, you label yourself as a con man or a flake, In either case, the dealer will write you off and negotiations will likely end.

In the end, the dealer has a number. If you find that number quickly and honorably, and it works for you, you have a fair deal. Most of what has been offered simply allows you to annoy each other and inflame emotions on both sides.

Telling the dealer what you think Boxsters are selling for 3500 miles away does nothing to get you a good deal. Showing him a REAL offer in your region does. Denigrating the car he has while trying to buy it shows you to be dishonest. Why do you expect him to take you seriously if you are wheeling and dealing on a car you really don't want? If you are negotiating, he should assume you really want that car.

Clearly, engaging in tactics both either party does not get you any more quickly to a number you can both live with.

If you work with most folks honestly and in good faith, you will end up happier with the process and the car.

And of course, you should always walk from a deal that does not work for you. I encourage you to know what the walk away number is and why. Then do that if appropriate.

IHMO!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote