Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2018, 04:11 PM   #3981

this is a job i need to do, can you provide more details on the bolt and washer method for spark plug tubes please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lskolnick View Post
Replaced spark plugs, spark plug tubes, and coil packs with updated version. I can tell you the bolt and washer method for removing the spark plug tubes is 1000x easier than the transom plug method. The transom plug makes a nice installation tool though.

dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 04:26 PM   #3982

Never mind, search turned up what i needed, going to home depot tomorrow!
dav9515 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 06:19 PM   #3983

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfkjeld View Post
I have been using the Proclip iPhone mounts in my cars for years. They are designed specifically for each model year for most cars. Once in place, they stay in place and setting the phone in, is easy with one hand. But the Proclip mount options for a 986 and I think all Boxsters, were clumsy. So I bought a Din cover from eBay and attached the mount to it. I swapped out the silly CD holder. Now I have access to Siri with a push of a button. Hands free phone, texting, turn by turn directions and my iPhone music. All the while, the iPhone is on the charger.

About the Continental radio which I found in the Forum. It is inexpensive and a pretty cheap radio. Had issues with radio frequency interference when on weak FM stations. It was from my iPhone charger. One that worked fine with all my OEM car radios. Replaced the charger with a more expensive one and the interference is now gone. Another note about this Continental radio; when on the freeway with the top down, the built it phone mic in the radio works surprisingly well. Was able to carry on a conversation at freeway speed. Did not expect that.
Does the Continental sound better than the stock Becker units, keeping the original speakers (unless you changed those too)?
Old 01-28-2018, 03:35 AM   #3984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciao View Post
Old Car Guy, I will await the results of your upgrades. I installed Akebono pads on my Audi and was not impressed, though they are less dusty and wheels are cleaner longer most importantly they work but don't have the bite that factory Audi pads have.
Hi Ciao, Haven’t had a chance to take the car out since the brake job but based on the research I did, your assessment seems correct. Because I don’t AX or track the 986 (my kart racing takes care of that bug) my priorities are low noise, low dust, minimal fade with capable stopping ability for our (sometimes spirited) 2 lane mountain road cruising. Hopefully the Akebonos will hit the mark. I’ll keep you posted after I put some miles on them.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 03:46 AM   #3985

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSteve View Post
Oldcarguy,

I installed a Technobrace last year and like it a lot.
The back end of the car feels more planted when driving, um, spiritedly.
Hi BoxsterSteve, Thanks for the feedback. I’m looking forward to the test drive (if our road ever clears from the ice). At first I thought I’d never get the brace into position, but it went right in after I loosened the sway bar. I did have to install the right side bolt from the bottom due to an exhaust clearance problem getting the bolt in from the top. My side to side brace alignment was perfect, the bolt holes aligned and the bolts slid in with no problems. I guess the engine has never been out of the car.
#317 550 Spyder Anniversary Edition 2004 Boxster S, 3.8L Flat Six Innovations engine, PSS9s, etc, etc . . .
The contents of my posts are for entertainment only. As confirmed by my many motor sports fails, I am not qualified to give product endorsements or mechanical advice

Last edited by Oldcarguy; 01-28-2018 at 03:49 AM.
Oldcarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 04:55 AM   #3986
still plays with cars...

Garage
My Technobrace went in easily too, it’s nice to know you don’t have to bring the cuss jar into the garage with you every time.
I’ve been using Akebono front pads for 2 years. The only difference from stock pads that I have been able to tell is the near complete lack of dusting.
I would have to wash wheels every few days with the factory pads.
With the Akebono pads, it’s every 6 or 8 weeks or whenever I get a chance to wash the car.
Arctic Silver on Metropol Blue | LN Dual Row IMSR | Arctic Silver console, spoiler frame & bumperettes | Crios mod | Technobrace | RoboTop module & modified convertible top relay for one-touch roof operation
BoxsterSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 11:47 AM   #3987

Garage
It finally warmed up enough for me to put the diagonal braces back on the rear suspension, and get the car off the jack stands that it has sat on since early December. We celebrated by taking a spin in it. The first few gear changes were stiff after changing the transmission oil, but then it loosened up and felt normal. Car is back in the garage with mothballs and mouse "food" protecting it from critters.

A month in the Florida Keys and when we return I have to get right into making inroads in the winter project list.
2009 Mercedes Benz CLK 350 convertible
1941 Dodge Luxury Liner Coupe
Anker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #3988

Temp in Tucson today was high 70's, sunny and a nice breeze.

I'm over the hump and on the downhill side of installing a replacement motor in my 01. This weekend, I finished connecting the hoses and stuff on the driver's side of the engine bay, positioned the A/C compressor and got the electrical connected. Finished the engine mount and the transmission mounts, installed the Tiptronic shifter linkage, installed the half shafts, got the gas return line on the passenger side connected to fuel rail. pulled the wiring harness through the rear bulkhead and got all the trunk connections done. Connected the power cable on the top of the engine and the ground wire on the right side. Connected the battery and put it on a charger. Turned the car to run and lifted the top.

Tomorrow, going to put the diagonal rails and the transmission pan back on. And the sway bar. And the crossover in front of the transmission and behind the engine. Probably will connect all the coolant hoses on the front of the engine and install the new 4 way hose. Planning to put the reservoir back on the power steering pump and fill it with P/S oil.

Still have lots to do, patience is a virtue, and neatness counts.

My shoulder hurts!:ah:

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 01-28-2018 at 05:17 PM.
Brian in Tucson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:13 AM   #3989

your car is drop dead gorgeous!
dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 06:31 PM   #3990

Put a nasty ding in my door, but then took the ding out (mostly) with a DIY kit.

DIY PDR ding removal - 987 BOXster
Old 02-02-2018, 06:18 AM   #3991

Continuing installing a replacement engine. I was going to try to start it on Wednesday, had gotten to the add water and coolant stage. The vacuum filler thing wouldn't draw any vacuum at all, so I added a quart or so of distilled water which leaked out below the new water pump as fast as I could put it in.

The gasket is leaking. Darn it! There's this one bolt that is very difficult to remove. Gonna try again today. And then put it back in with copper RTV. I put the water pump in with those inside out torx and they are the fiddliest fasteners in tight places!

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 02-02-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 02-02-2018, 06:43 AM   #3992
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson View Post
... There's this one bolt that is very difficult to remove. Gonna try again today. And then put it back in with copper RTV. I put the water pump in with those inside out torx and they are the fiddliest fasteners in tight places!
Brian, Check with the pro's, but if I remember correctly, you do not want to use ANY sealant there. Make sure to use a new and correct coated metal gasket like in this picture and have both surfaces clean.

Also one or two bolts are longer than the rest. make sure they are in the correct position.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump.htm

Last edited by 78F350; 02-02-2018 at 06:47 AM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:07 AM   #3993

Yeah, I remember that I forgot to tighten just one of the bolts on mine, and it immediately all over just like you described. Suppose that's a lot better than a slow leak that I might not have noticed right away.
kirkandorules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 05:59 AM   #3994

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Brian, Check with the pro's, but if I remember correctly, you do not want to use ANY sealant there. Make sure to use a new and correct coated metal gasket like in this picture and have both surfaces clean.

Also one or two bolts are longer than the rest. make sure they are in the correct position.
https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump/34-WATER-Thermostat_and_Pump.htm
Thanks, I got it sealed up & it doesn't leak anymore. Coolant's in, everything is done, and I started it yesterday. It's a used engine, and has a heck of a lifter noise. Gonna have to see what happens after I start to drive it and get some heat and rpms on it. I really don't want to start pulling valve covers and disturbing the cam timing. I bought a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and probably will end up putting that in.

This is my first Porsche. My first Porsche engine swap, too. It's going to take a while for my arthritic shoulders and the cuts on my arms and hands to recover. In the meantime, I'm just gonna drive the S O B.:dance:
Old 02-04-2018, 07:12 AM   #3995
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
It's going to take a while for my arthritic shoulders and the cuts on my arms and hands to recover. In the meantime, I'm just gonna drive the S O B.:dance:
Every DIY job exacts it's pound of flesh. It is the price you pay, but is so satisfying once done. And yes, drive, drive, drive.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:19 AM   #3996

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Every DIY job exacts it's pound of flesh. It is the price you pay, but is so satisfying once done. And yes, drive, drive, drive.
Yeah, I'm glad I still can! I'm 66, diabetic, and have a touch of arthritis. Working on the Porsche is intellectually challenging, a whole different learning curve from the Dodge truck or a Classic Prius. And a lot more crawling around on the carport pavement!

So yesterday I took it out for an Italian Tuneup, or is it a Bavarian tuneup? Anyhow, drove it for a couple of miles--since it's a used engine, I didn't baby it. Heavy foot and fairly high revs. The lifter noise disappeared! It runs pretty nice--and with the u/d pulley and the aftermarket (cheap) muffler it sounds good and has a bit more power, I think. I'll have to watch the coolant level and the oil, but I think it's gonna be okay.

Obtw, pics are worth a thousand words:

Click 'em to get the larger image!

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 02-05-2018 at 06:24 AM.
Old 02-05-2018, 07:00 AM   #3997
2003 S, Arctic Silver, M6

Garage
Quote:
Yeah, I'm glad I still can! I'm 66, diabetic, and have a touch of arthritis.
Sounds familiar. I'm 63, diabetic and have knees made of broken glass, at least thats how they feel some days. But like you I am still able to work on my car (knock on wood) and I do enjoy doing it. My wife says I'm crazy, take it to a shop she says. That day will come but for now hand me that wrench.
paulofto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #3998
1998 Boxster Owner

Well not today but over the weekend changed my oil and spark plugs - my intention was to also change the fuel filter but I ran out of time. I rent a lift by the hour and didn't have time to extend my time at the shop.

I won't mention the oil change but wanted to share my experience with Spark Plugs. As mentioned in other threads the driver side is a bit more challenging to access the plugs especially cylinder 4. (Directly behind the driver side) Renting a lift made the job so much easier. If I had the storage space I would invest in a quick jack. I took the suggestion to take my time and make sure to inspect everything. There were no signs of oil leaks so I did not swap out the spark plug tubes. I had some on hand. My Ignition Coil on cylinder 1 had a hairline crack and I did not notice it. I got too confident and overlooked it. Big mistake. So after I completed the spark plug swap and oil change I fired up the car. Immediately I noticed it was misfiring. Boom engine light turns on. I was screwed. I plugged in my scanner and got a P1313 Code. It read "cylinder 1 misfire" did some quick research in this wonderful forum and basically I needed to inspect/swap the ignition coil. To make a long story short - considering it was the weekend I called around and Autozone came through for me as always. They transferred one over from another store. Next day I picked up the ignition coil (in my daughters car) and swapped it out. I noticed the top of the engine coil from cylinder 1 had a small hairline crack. I should have taken a pic but I was too focused on getting it swapped. Put on the new ignition coil put everything back together and fired it up. Oh man Boxster was so happy - it was purring again! I should note I had to plug in the scanner and erase the engine code/light. Drove the car around no more engine light.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:03 AM   #3999

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulofto View Post
Sounds familiar. I'm 63, diabetic and have knees made of broken glass, at least thats how they feel some days. But like you I am still able to work on my car (knock on wood) and I do enjoy doing it. My wife says I'm crazy, take it to a shop she says. That day will come but for now hand me that wrench.
I have a utility rug like they use at the entrances to auto parts stores "Job Safety Starts Here!" an I use those dense foam flooring squares the HF sells. Mostly in self defense--my knees aren't bad unless I kneel on concrete. My back, neck, and shoulders get sore if I try to bend over too much, so I have a couple stools that I sit on. And a lawn chair for an occasional rest & a seltzer.

I live in a retirement mobile home park, I've seen it first hand. Inactivity & loss of mental workouts are fatal. Sit down and you may not get back up.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:29 AM   #4000

I cleaned up around my garage, then washed my fender liners since the car is up on stands.
I contemplated removing the front fender liners to vent them, but I didn't have a lot of time available. Maybe some other day.

I also sat in the car and rowed through the gears.

2 months to go!

alm001 is offline   Reply With Quote