View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 07:15 AM   #3998
Benitom
1998 Boxster Owner

Well not today but over the weekend changed my oil and spark plugs - my intention was to also change the fuel filter but I ran out of time. I rent a lift by the hour and didn't have time to extend my time at the shop.

I won't mention the oil change but wanted to share my experience with Spark Plugs. As mentioned in other threads the driver side is a bit more challenging to access the plugs especially cylinder 4. (Directly behind the driver side) Renting a lift made the job so much easier. If I had the storage space I would invest in a quick jack. I took the suggestion to take my time and make sure to inspect everything. There were no signs of oil leaks so I did not swap out the spark plug tubes. I had some on hand. My Ignition Coil on cylinder 1 had a hairline crack and I did not notice it. I got too confident and overlooked it. Big mistake. So after I completed the spark plug swap and oil change I fired up the car. Immediately I noticed it was misfiring. Boom engine light turns on. I was screwed. I plugged in my scanner and got a P1313 Code. It read "cylinder 1 misfire" did some quick research in this wonderful forum and basically I needed to inspect/swap the ignition coil. To make a long story short - considering it was the weekend I called around and Autozone came through for me as always. They transferred one over from another store. Next day I picked up the ignition coil (in my daughters car) and swapped it out. I noticed the top of the engine coil from cylinder 1 had a small hairline crack. I should have taken a pic but I was too focused on getting it swapped. Put on the new ignition coil put everything back together and fired it up. Oh man Boxster was so happy - it was purring again! I should note I had to plug in the scanner and erase the engine code/light. Drove the car around no more engine light.
Benitom is offline   Reply With Quote