Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2007, 01:26 AM   #41

I had a green Jag once; muddy cat prints looked great on it.

Rapid motion through space elates one; so does notoriety; so does the possession of money.
pierre shags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote:
If she's already been treated it's pretty important she be kept fairly stress free for awhile. (It takes quite awhile for the worms to die, break down and be eliminated by the immune system. Not like gastrointestinal worms that die and just get pooped out the next day!) This is even more true with an older dog. Occasionally dogs will go downhill and die following treatment. (It's fairly rare in my experience---I treated most of the ones I mentioned seeing in KC; I lost 2 or 3. Has she been showing symptoms (cough, exercise intolerance, etc.)? If so, it might be better to see if someone out there could foster her for a few weeks, until the critical post-treatment period is over.
Frodo,

She is in foster care now. She's been placed with a woman in Houston. When she was seized, her heartworm tests came back medium. They say that she is so happy to be out of the cage, she is "busy" checking out her new world. As such they the vet was afraid to treat her for heartworm, because he has lost a few active dogs in the past. Instead, he decided to treat her with Heartgard. Her last test came back light. The vet says that if she is continued on the Heartgard, she should be clear in 6-7 months without the risk of killing her. Sound right to you?

Also, what is the risk, if any, of my other dogs contracting heartworm from her. I know it's transmitted by mosquitos. Any other way? Of course, my dogs are on the preventive.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 11-16-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 10:37 AM   #43

Leave the cat alone, shoot the neighbor.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #44

Quote:

"...the vet was afraid to treat her for heartworm, because he has lost a few active dogs in the past. Instead, he decided to treat her with Heartgard. Her last test came back light. The vet says that if she is continued on the Heartgard, she should be clear in 6-7 months without the risk of killing her. Sound right to you?"

Posted by Grizzly.

Probably not a bad approach in this case. Though I've not seen the results of any studies on this, it has become a somewhat common approach to treating 'high risk' cases. Ivermectin, the active ingredient in HeartGard, doesn't kill the adult heartworms outright, but that is actually a good thing in older and/or symptomatic dogs. (It's the sudden worm death caused by adulticide therapy that, while usually safe, can potentially cause problems in such cases.) Don't know about the 6-7 month figure (like I said, haven't seen any studies on the matter), but it hardly matters. Just keep her on the preventative and you'll (1) prevent her from acquiring a new generation of heartworms, and (presumably) (2) slowly kill off the ones she's now got. Though some people stop heartworm preventative during the winter months, this is a dog I'd probably keep on it year-round.

Quote:

"Also, what is the risk, if any, of my other dogs contracting heartworm from her. I know it's transmitted by mosquitos. Any other way? Of course, my dogs are on the preventive."

Posted by Grizzly.

No other (known) means of transmission other than through the mosquito. In fact, I've been told by a parasitologist that you could draw blood from a HW positive dog (containing the microfilaria, the HW 'babies' if you will), inject it into another dog (even one not on HW preventative) and it still will not develop HW disease. The larve undergo some transition within the mosquito without which they don't develop into adults. Isn't parasitology fascinating??

The chances of your dogs getting HW from this dog, with them on HW preventative?: essentially zero.

You're a good man, doin' this Grizz. Rescued dogs, while sometimes requiring some patience while they get socialized and warm up to their new surroundings and new family, almost always make GREAT pets.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 01:14 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Bill, you're a genius! Chicken Chow Meow it is!
sweet and sour kitten
kitty chops
feline flambay
mashed kitten
scrambled kitten with toast
kitty wellington
crackers with kitten paste
cat roast

PM for the recipies; they are wonderful.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:31 PM   #46

I'M So Sad

SPEEDY RECOVERY MY SISTER

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual

Last edited by Franco; 11-16-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 03:37 PM   #47

Insite,

You actually made me laugh hard enough that I had back a spasm. It was "mashed kitten" that got me. I'm probably gonna have to sue you now. Has anyone heard from Jeffsquire?

Frodo,

Thank you so much for all the information. I'm happy to know that my girls are not in danger of contracting heart worm from their new sister.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 11-16-2007 at 03:41 PM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Insite,

You actually made me laugh hard enough that I had back a spasm. It was "mashed kitten" that got me. I'm probably gonna have to sue you now.
glad i could help! that's a personal favorite.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by insite
sweet and sour kitten
kitty chops
feline flambay
mashed kitten
scrambled kitten with toast
kitty wellington
crackers with kitten paste
cat roast

PM for the recipies; they are wonderful.
Don't forget one of my personal favorites:

Straight from Tijuana...Kitty Taco

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:54 AM   #50

Send a message via AIM to Bambino Don
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
What the hell is wrong with you?

You're seriously thinking of killing an innocent cat? What you plan on shooting it?

Geez just scare it off somehow.

I hope you were kidding about hurting that cat, if not you're a sicko.

He wasnt going to blast a neighbours cat!!

I once chased a cat of my old TT and as it jumped from the room onto the bodywork skidded as it was waxed, claws came out paintwork scratched.

Now i think an eye for an eye........................

00 Audi TT 180 coupe
02 DC5 Honda Integra typeR
01 Alfa Romeo spider 3.0 V6
01 Honda s2000
03 Audi TT Roadster 225
02 Porsche Boxster S silver/red Rolling on 19's
Now:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4.../mycayman1.jpg

07 Cayman Guards Red/black on 19's
Bambino Don is offline   Reply With Quote