View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 01:06 PM   #44
Frodo

Quote:

"...the vet was afraid to treat her for heartworm, because he has lost a few active dogs in the past. Instead, he decided to treat her with Heartgard. Her last test came back light. The vet says that if she is continued on the Heartgard, she should be clear in 6-7 months without the risk of killing her. Sound right to you?"

Posted by Grizzly.

Probably not a bad approach in this case. Though I've not seen the results of any studies on this, it has become a somewhat common approach to treating 'high risk' cases. Ivermectin, the active ingredient in HeartGard, doesn't kill the adult heartworms outright, but that is actually a good thing in older and/or symptomatic dogs. (It's the sudden worm death caused by adulticide therapy that, while usually safe, can potentially cause problems in such cases.) Don't know about the 6-7 month figure (like I said, haven't seen any studies on the matter), but it hardly matters. Just keep her on the preventative and you'll (1) prevent her from acquiring a new generation of heartworms, and (presumably) (2) slowly kill off the ones she's now got. Though some people stop heartworm preventative during the winter months, this is a dog I'd probably keep on it year-round.

Quote:

"Also, what is the risk, if any, of my other dogs contracting heartworm from her. I know it's transmitted by mosquitos. Any other way? Of course, my dogs are on the preventive."

Posted by Grizzly.

No other (known) means of transmission other than through the mosquito. In fact, I've been told by a parasitologist that you could draw blood from a HW positive dog (containing the microfilaria, the HW 'babies' if you will), inject it into another dog (even one not on HW preventative) and it still will not develop HW disease. The larve undergo some transition within the mosquito without which they don't develop into adults. Isn't parasitology fascinating??

The chances of your dogs getting HW from this dog, with them on HW preventative?: essentially zero.

You're a good man, doin' this Grizz. Rescued dogs, while sometimes requiring some patience while they get socialized and warm up to their new surroundings and new family, almost always make GREAT pets.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote