View Single Post
Old 11-16-2007, 06:32 AM   #42
Grizzly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote:
If she's already been treated it's pretty important she be kept fairly stress free for awhile. (It takes quite awhile for the worms to die, break down and be eliminated by the immune system. Not like gastrointestinal worms that die and just get pooped out the next day!) This is even more true with an older dog. Occasionally dogs will go downhill and die following treatment. (It's fairly rare in my experience---I treated most of the ones I mentioned seeing in KC; I lost 2 or 3. Has she been showing symptoms (cough, exercise intolerance, etc.)? If so, it might be better to see if someone out there could foster her for a few weeks, until the critical post-treatment period is over.
Frodo,

She is in foster care now. She's been placed with a woman in Houston. When she was seized, her heartworm tests came back medium. They say that she is so happy to be out of the cage, she is "busy" checking out her new world. As such they the vet was afraid to treat her for heartworm, because he has lost a few active dogs in the past. Instead, he decided to treat her with Heartgard. Her last test came back light. The vet says that if she is continued on the Heartgard, she should be clear in 6-7 months without the risk of killing her. Sound right to you?

Also, what is the risk, if any, of my other dogs contracting heartworm from her. I know it's transmitted by mosquitos. Any other way? Of course, my dogs are on the preventive.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet

Last edited by Grizzly; 11-16-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote