Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #21

Not sure if you're actually concerned about the cat on the car or if you were just foolin' around with this thread, but, if the former: Cats hate stepping on stuff that sticks to their feet. Get some double-stick tape and put several strips of it across the width of the top. (I'm reasonably certain it would pull off easily even after a few days and wouldn't cause any damage.) We tell people that have problems with their cats hanging out on their kitchen counter-tops when they're not around to give this a try. It does seem to work. (And, as rick3000 suggested, if kitty decides to use the top as a scratch post, it could get ugly fast.)

How's the Pekingese rescue/transport mission progressing?

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:16 PM   #22

If you were in the neighborhood, my precision PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) .22 cal airguns come with a built in silencer and 18X vairable scope groups nicely under a half inch at that distance....

We have a cat and the neighbors in our area have lots of cats, and they love the top of my boxster. I try to hid the car in the garage when I can and keep hair-removing rolls handy. It really sucks to see the muddy paw prints going across the hood and windshield to end up with a bunch of fur on the roof. I guess it is one of the costs of lowering the suspension, ha,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:19 PM   #23

I could bring my English Bulldop to visit, and if you are lucky you won't have to feed her.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin
If you were in the neighborhood, my precision PCP (pre-charged pneumatic) .22 cal airguns come with a built in silencer and 18X vairable scope groups nicely under a half inch at that distance....

We have a cat and the neighbors in our area have lots of cats, and they love the top of my boxster. I try to hid the car in the garage when I can and keep hair-removing rolls handy. It really sucks to see the muddy paw prints going across the hood and windshield to end up with a bunch of fur on the roof. I guess it is one of the costs of lowering the suspension, ha,

Ed

No way, those things make it to the hood of my tundra with a leveling kit on the front, your resistance is futile.

Here is a link to my cat deterrent

http://www.amazon.com/Contech-CatStop-Ultrasonic-Outdoor-Deterrent/dp/B0001A9TE2
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #25

Thanks, Griz, I just spit water all over my laptop

Great post ! Either you're feeling better, or the pain medication is finally starting to kick in

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:43 PM   #26

Sorry about the laptop, Nick! Yeah, I'm feeling a little better; bored but better.

At least the guys are having fun with the thread. I was only kidding. You know me and animals...the cat can have the car if he likes it that much.
...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 03:48 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvhs18472
I could bring my English Bulldop to visit, and if you are lucky you won't have to feed her.
Got any pictures of her? English Bulls are the best. I hope my present dogs outlast me; they own my heart. If not, I'm going to lobby hard for an English Bull.
Old 11-15-2007, 03:51 PM   #28
EE3racing

That's a tough one, if you talk to the neighbors and they are not receptive you can't snuff Mr. Putty. That picture bothers me and it's not even my ride. If you value your neighbors, put some clear carpet runner upsidedown on the top, the little spines will dissuade him. Otherwise, a lil friskies & Prestone makesa a fine meal.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:06 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly

2) He has been there for more than an hour.

An hour -- what's taken you so long? Did you consider paying some neighborhood kids to tie some paper bags to his feet to teach that cat a lesson?

Or better yet, take him up to the sniper window & test if cats actually do land on their feet...
Old 11-15-2007, 05:17 PM   #30

Just stick a piece of duct tape to it and let the owners remove it. They will think the cat accidently stumbled upon the tape and not knowing any better rolled on top of it... (plus if you do it symmetrically about its back it will look like a skunk with a pink stripe once the tape is removed)

Disclaimer: I am only kidding. My fiance and I have two cats, Guido and Yolanda... okay that's not their real names and she prefers that I don't call them by these names... shhhhhh...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 PM   #31

If you continue to have difficulties, I can send over Mr. Mo. He will never be confused for a lean mean fightin machine, but he is an avid porsche lover, never sits anywhere on vehicles and will act as a secure deterrent.
After a recent foray/patrol:

Ever vigilant...

Peter Schwarzenbauer

My car @ Car Domain

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled01.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...nstalled02.jpg
Arctic Silver '05 Silver Boxster

Last edited by Uncle Bob; 11-15-2007 at 05:49 PM.
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 06:03 PM   #32

Mr. Mo is very beautiful...in the second picture. In the first shot, I was waiting for his head to spin around and green puke to fly out.

My ferocious Pekingese tag-team does a pretty fair job at patrolling for bogeys, but they were having a day of beauty today.
Old 11-15-2007, 06:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
How's the Pekingese rescue/transport mission progressing?
She's is being treated for heartworm and ear mites. She needs a health certificate for interstate transport, so the ear mites have to be taken care of first. Thankfully, her last heartworm test came back light. Did I say that right? We think we're going to use a pet relocation service to transport her by truck. I can't begin to make her arrangements before she's healthy, though.

I got this picture of her from the rescue the other day. She looks so much better. The pictures from when she was seized? Well, take a look. Poor baby. Seven years in a wire cage.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #34

Hi, Grizzly pulled the trigger, here's the evidence, faked the year to cover his @ss.

2014 Mercedes Benz 350 ML
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray manual
Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:15 PM   #35

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
grizz, you post count will go trough the roof

btw, great pic, hang that up in ur office
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Jacques! Chill, sir! I'm kidding! I'm only kidding! I don't kill animals. I even refuse to hunt. In fact, I'm in the process, right now, of rescuing an abused Pekingese, seized from a puppy mill in Texas. I just thought the cat on the Box could make for an entertaining thread. Whew!

All right I figured you were kidding but you never know these days...

I know a few sick people that have shot cats-dogs just for kicks....

I also worked for animal shelters and animal rescue groups for about 3-4 years so I'm pretty sensitive to this kind of stuff.

Glad to know you're not insane
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #37

I have that same cat problem, the worst is the muddy pawprints on the hood or trunkand the glass. I also dont appreciate the hairy top. I even got some little scratches when the cat tried to get some extra traction.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 PM   #38

Cats like high places since they feel safe. If that place is warm then so much the better.

You are not going to run out of a house and spray a cat with water. Unless the cat is dead or really slow or you can suprise it.

When I bought the box in 1999 I had 2 cats. At least one of them liked my top as a resting place.

It has been said that cats don't like stepping on strange things, like tin foil and tape. I could see the paw prints on the front trunk lid. I waxed the heck out of the trunk lid and the cat still got on the top.

I was not going to cover the front of my car in tin foil.

I put masking tape upside down all over the lid one evening. I expected to find a cat rolled up in tape in the morning.

Next morning I found paw prints on the exposed tape. The cat still got up there.

As for the BB gun....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:17 PM   #39

Grizzly, my wife and I are up late tonight and we just laughed our butts off reading this thread.

It reminded me of a book I read at a buddy's house that I think you need to buy:

http://www.amazon.com/101-Uses-Dead-Simon-Bond/dp/0517545160

Be sure to check out the sample pages from the "look inside" feature on amazon.com

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-15-2007 at 08:20 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #40

Quote:

"She's is being treated for heartworm and ear mites."

Posted by Grizzly.

Not surprising she's got heartworms with her background (abused, no medical care, probably never on heartworm preventative) and especially being from Texas. (I worked at a shelter for 5 years in Kansas City and diagnosed probably 150-175 cases during that time period. And Texas is much worse!)

If she's already been treated it's pretty important she be kept fairly stress free for awhile. (It takes quite awhile for the worms to die, break down and be eliminated by the immune system. Not like gastrointestinal worms that die and just get pooped out the next day!) This is even more true with an older dog. Occasionally dogs will go downhill and die following treatment. (It's fairly rare in my experience---I treated most of the ones I mentioned seeing in KC; I lost 2 or 3. Has she been showing symptoms (cough, exercise intolerance, etc.)? If so, it might be better to see if someone out there could foster her for a few weeks, until the critical post-treatment period is over.

I post this rather than via a PM as kind of a public service announcement: If you have a dog, keep him/her on heartworm preventative!

Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote